TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Notable Member
96,082 Posts
I'm still kind of confused about the Elves forging the rings.

Really, the only thing I know about the rings is the prologue to LOTR:FOTR. Whaat we get told by Galadriel.. Three rings for elves. Seven for the Dwarves. Nine for Men.. The way it appears to me, at least, is that there was some level of coordination/collaboration between the three races to make these rings.. And more or less at the same basic time. But here we are at end of LOTR:ROP season one.. The elves make three rings.. Just sort like "out of the blue". They DID get some guidance from guy calling himself Hallbrad. Thats cool. But who are the three elven kings? I know of Gil Galad.. But who else is there? IIRC, he was not present at the forging we saw in this episode. I know that at some point Galadriel gets one of the rings (we see it in LOTR:FOTR)

whats really going on? Is the show changing up the story? Or is it following the writings of Tolkein. Writings I just don't know about?

·
Notable Member
96,082 Posts
IIRC in LOTR, Galadriel had one and Arwen had one that she gifted to Aragorn. Not sure where the third was.

The series is based on Tolkein's writings. Not sure if it's the Silmarillion or not.
The series can't reference the Silmarillion. Amazon doesn't have the rights.

i just want to know if the LOTR book(s) say who were the initial receivers of the three rings for the elven kings.

·
Notable Member
96,082 Posts
Sauron (in disguise) and Celebrimbor together made the 9 rings for men and 7 rings for dwarves before Celebrimbor made the 3 elf rings. Sauron never touched the 3, though they were made with the knowledge Sauron shared with Celebrimbor. After being 'discovered', Sauron snuck off to Mount Doom to make the 1 by himself. As soon as he put it on, the elves with the 3 knew it and removed and hid them immediately.
Ok.. thanks for this.. This does seem to confirm that LOTR:ROP Amazon show is changing up things a bit with the way the rings were made (the order) Since I have not read the books, I am not sure I care too much. But I'm still not totally sure if its even out of step with the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy.

·
Notable Member
96,082 Posts
The LOTR trilogy don't deal with this detail. Even the earliest flashback at the start of the first movie only deals with the end of the Second Age, which is the war against Sauron after all the rings have been forged and handed out, the One Ring is created, etc. I would expect that it is where this series intends to end up (not the season but the whole series).

It's true that things may be out of order a bit but I don't know how specific Tolkien was about the details of the forging. I don't know if it matters which rings were forged first, as long as all the rings are handed out before Sauron forges the One Ring, and that he doesn't know about (or, all about) the three Elven rings so the elves are warned of what's happening when the One Ring is used.
OK.. Cool.. Yes. in LOTR:FOTR, the nature of their being three sets of rings (Elves, Dwarves, and Men) plus the One RIng to rule them all is told in a pretty simple, easy to understand way without too much detail. For the sake of that trilogy of movies, it's good enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts