TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
About the only think that I didn’t care for was Galadriel sailing to Valinor, but jumping ship while her shipmates were ‘absorbed’. It looked heavenly and ethereal but not what I would have pictured. It was a very contrived way to get Galadriel to Numenor in my opinion.
I couldn't help but wonder if the elves on the ship were headed towards their deaths, and that Galadriel dodged a metaphorical bullet when she jumped overboard...

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
I'm surprised that the humans don't like the elves all that much. Is it because they are "foreigners"?
Not just foreigners...superior (immortal, for one thing, and judging from their fighting abilities, super-powered by human standards) foreigners who are there to watch over them from their mountaintop castle and make sure they don't misbehave. And it looks like they're not shy about being superior...

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
The series and the movies are completely separate other than they are both based on the books. The series doesn’t have the rights to reference the movies directly.
But they do apparently have the right to use some of the same characters (e.g., Galadriel)...

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
Like Rob said, I thought the elves were being sent to their deaths until I found the section where they showed Valinor on the map. From that I pieced together that there must be a protective field around Valinor to keep people out. From that same map it did look like hundreds of miles of ocean between Valinor and Middle Earth, but they also had the elves standing aboard ship the entire journey. Maybe that protective field isn't so far out. Still it's crazy that anyone would be able to swim the distance back or even consider it. These elves are certainly superhuman if they can do that, yet Elrond tired, or quit, when breaking rocks.
My thought was that Valinor has fallen to the Big Bad since the elves left it. And since traffic seems to be one way, the elves have no way of knowing that everybody who "goes back home" is doomed.

Just a hunch, though...

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
Based on the way there appeared to be some magical passage into Valinor, I wondered if it was like Valhalla from Norse mythology, where brave warriors get to spend eternity. The king had to bless them with the right to enter Valinor, and then the magical light barrier opens and lets their ship in.

Am I way off?
Well, it's their homeland...

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
IIRC, the story indicated that they left Valinor to hunt/fight the baddies; but this makes one wonder why they're not ALL going home when the Big Elf holds the ceremony honoring Galadriel and her crew for showing that all traces had been eliminated.
Well, the Big Elf is lying...he knows full well that all traces have not been eliminated.

Not sure how he's selling staying behind to the others, though...

·
I am Groot!
58,136 Posts
Part of the problem making a sequel is you know who lives or dies. Like In Better Call Saul, you knew certain characters had to live to be in Breaking Bad.

Unless they are going to completely rewrite history and canon, certain characters have to live, as they are in the LotR events.
Unless this is some other guy named Isildur! ;)

(Isildur: The "John Smith" of ancient Middle Earth.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts