TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
When my Bolt died and Tivo refused to sell me a replacement (because they no longer service Canada) I was forced into looking for an alternative OTA solution. I looked at the HomeRun setup but even though I'm a techie by trade and nature decided that the benefits it offered compared with a Tablo just weren't worth the extra hassle.

Started with a really cheap 2-tuner refurb Tablo and was so happy with it I replaced it with a 4 tuner model. Very pleased it and being able to use any size hard drive is a real plus. Remote access and control also works really well.
Tablo is a very user-friendly solution for OTA DVR! My main gripe against it when I tried one out a few years ago was that live channel changing was quite slow, making channel surfing implausible. But I've read that it's gotten better in that regard since then.

Anyhow, while I still find things I prefer about Channels DVR and Plex DVR overall, I do admit you Canucks have come up with something very nice with Tablo. Cheers from down south!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tablo is a very user-friendly solution for OTA DVR! My main gripe against it when I tried one out a few years ago was that live channel changing was quite slow, making channel surfing implausible. But I've read that it's gotten better in that regard since then.
Surfing is certainly slower than on Tivo or a conventional TV - but to be honest I literally never watch live TV so I have no need to surf.

Tablo is far from perfect (commercial skip for example is not very accurate and in fact they seem to have discontinued it for new accounts) but it is more than I need. Plus I never had enough storage on my Bolt and remote viewing was a waste of effort. Neither of those are an issue on Tablo. In fact on a recent trip to the Uk I was able to watch recorded programs on my iPad.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts