TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· CreativelyChallenged
2,544 Posts
A "reasonable" amount of weight to lose, according to many experts, is 2-5 pounds a week. Supposedly they've been on the island 50 some days, let's just say 56 for convenience. That's 8 weeks for a weight loss of somewhere between 16 and 40 pounds. On a guy who weighs over 300, that isn't even going to be CLOSE to noticeable. A friend of mine just lost 30 pounds (starting out at about 240) and not ONE person has noticed.

That's assuming he's really eating less. He could be eating fish and fruit up the wazoo for all we know - his emotional problems haven't disappeared, only fast and prepackaged food.

· Not it!
10,726 Posts
I liked Hurley's own comment about it, in an episode in season one. If I recall, he was talking to Charlie, who had questioned why Hurley's weight loss wasn't more evident. He said something to the effect of "Dude - I'm a big guy. It's going to take a while."

Basically, this is just one of those things you need to suspend belief on. Yes, he probably should be looking more thin. Yes, Walt shouldn't be looking dramatically older (take a look at some stills of him from early season 1 and compare). Yes, their hair should all be growing out. Etc. The writers do what they can, and occasionally show people shaving, getting haircuts, etc.

If there's truly going to be a February sweeps explanation for Hurley's weight I'm curious to see it, but I suspect Damon and Carlton were just having a little fun when they said there would be "definitive" explanation.

· Spawn of Cthulhu
125 Posts
This is from the latest Lost podcast. I think its innocuous enough, but I'll spoiler it just in case.

The Walt story will be resolved this season. In future flashbacks, we will get more answers about Jack's past. We will soon know why Hurley hasn't lost any weight. We will get more information about the hatch, what's behind the magnetic wall, what happens when we don't push the button. Source: January 23, Lost Podcast

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
15,740 Posts
danterner said:
I liked Hurley's own comment about it, in an episode in season one. If I recall, he was talking to Charlie, who had questioned why Hurley's weight loss wasn't more evident. He said something to the effect of "Dude - I'm a big guy. It's going to take a while."

Basically, this is just one of those things you need to suspend belief on. Yes, he probably should be looking more thin. Yes, Walt shouldn't be looking dramatically older (take a look at some stills of him from early season 1 and compare). Yes, their hair should all be growing out. Etc. The writers do what they can, and occasionally show people shaving, getting haircuts, etc.

If there's truly going to be a February sweeps explanation for Hurley's weight I'm curious to see it, but I suspect Damon and Carlton were just having a little fun when they said there would be "definitive" explanation.
I think there was also a point where Hurley told Charlie he had gone down a notch on his belt. Having recently gone down two BELT SIZES, I can assure you, he's losing weight. You just can't see it yet.

Greg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.