TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a commercial that said they were on (I think it was day 39) on the island. I know the show is in its 2nd year - is it hard to remember that it's only been that long or do you sometimes think it's longer. Do they have characters say things that remind you?

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
4inziksych said:
I saw a commercial that said they were on (I think it was day 39) on the island. I know the show is in its 2nd year - is it hard to remember that it's only been that long or do you sometimes think it's longer. Do they have characters say things that remind you?
There was an episode titled "The Other 48 Days", so 39 is definitely wrong. Day 48 is when the two groups merged. My guess would be that they've been there about 50-52 days.

·
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!
199 Posts
It seems longer to me because, as an audience member, they've been on the island for a year and a half. Sometimes they'll indicate the time they've spent there as being 39 days (or whatever) and it throws me a bit. A LOT has happened in that time. Plus, we go through so much of their pasts in flashbacks that we sort of live through those times with them as well.

Still, Hurley should have lost a noticable amount of weight by now. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
TeeSee said:
I've wondered the same thing. Was surprised when this was in todays paper.

Biggest 'Lost' mystery: Why is Hurley still fat?

By Patrick Kampert
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 15, 2006

When the plane first crashed on the ABC drama "Lost" and deposited its surviving passengers on an island, lottery winner Hurley portrayed by Jorge Garcia) had the pudgy physique--and then some--of the Skipper on Gilligan's Island."

After 50 days away from fast food and Western comforts, guess what? He's still the size of three Gilligans. But stay tuned; this could end up in the script.

As the TV show returned to the air last Wednesday, Chicagoans could ignore their own winter weight gain and focus on Hurley's chubby conundrum: Why isn't he losing weight?

To solve this riddle, Q turned to nutritionist Monique Ryan of Evanston (moniqueryan.com), who has a private practice and works with world-class cyclists, triathletes and the Chicago Fire soccer team. (It also helps that she got hooked on "Lost" during the summer reruns.)

"You would expect that maybe he would [lose weight], but you'd have to sit down and look at what he's eating the whole day," said Ryan, author of the new "Performance Nutrition for Winter Sports" (Velo Press, $19.95).

"He might also be an individual with a very slow metabolism. We tend to assume that everybody has complete control over things like that, but they don't. Some of that is genetic."

"Lost" doesn't dwell too heavily on the islanders' menu--it's not on the Food Network, after all. But Ryan said the most plentiful foods would probably be low-fat staples like fruit and fish.

One episode featured Hurley complaining to a doctor--a fellow survivor--about some gastrointestinal distress from gorging on fruit.)

"Even fattier fish is going to be lower in fat than any kind of beef you get at a restaurant," Ryan pointed out.

Although the castaways recently opened an airplane hatch that had a cache of processed foods such as potato chips and peanut butter, Hurley's consistently rotund physique prior to the discovery remains a weight-loss mystery.

And consider this: Ryan noted that Hurley probably is getting more exercise in his new lifestyle.

"Because they're doing everything manually--they're walking, they're looking for food, they're cooking, they're washing their clothes by hand--that's a lot of calorie-burning," she said. "It's daily activity that we used to have in our lives that we don't anymore, which is contributing to a greater percentage of people being overweight."

Like, for instance, Hurley. So why is his gut still the size of a couple of flotation devices?

In an e-mail, co-creator/executive producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Carlton Cuse gave this teasing reply:

"Hurley's inability to lose any significant weight, like many other things on the island,is shrouded in mystery. That mystery, however, will be definitively solved during February sweeps ... well, as definitively as anything ever gets solved on 'Lost,' anyway."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/health/chi-0601140278jan15,1,6074037.story

·
Tivomaniac
54 Posts
Pretty amusing article. So true, too. Why hasn't Hurley lost at least some of the weight? And why are the men still fairly shaved. There's some growth, but did they end up with enough razors to avoid growing beards completely for this long for so many men?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the actor can't loose the weight. You'd think they'd of thought of this when they cast him. Maybe they did and they're making him stay fat to keep some mystery up. (But I bet he just can't loose the weight).

·
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!
199 Posts
mrcoaster said:
And why are the men still fairly shaved. There's some growth, but did they end up with enough razors to avoid growing beards completely for this long for so many men?
I was going to mention that in my prior post, but I figured they could shave using knives. Shaving that way would be difficult to master, but it could work.

·
...I'm not.
19,876 Posts
lordargent said:
The above article is totally forgetting the fact that they feast on wild boar.

Bacon anyone?
Is wild boar really that fatty? Most game animals are much leaner than their domesticated counterparts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
TeeSee said:
I'm baffled as to why anyone is still asking this. It's a TV show. Almost by definition, it's not realistic. I don't think they really blew up Daniel Roebuck (Mr. Arzst), for example. Although I haven't seen him in anything else recently. :)

·
Rockin' the Suburbs
726 Posts
Jorge Garcia was on the radio in Los Angeles saying that he's lost around 40 lbs since the show began... It'll take some time to show on the guy, but 40 lbs in 48-49 days for the character? That's a crash diet!!! Look at Richard Hatch not losing his gut on Survivor. I think people have unrealistic expectations.

·
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!
199 Posts
JMikeD said:
I'm baffled as to why anyone is still asking this. It's a TV show. Almost by definition, it's not realistic. I don't think they really blew up Daniel Roebuck (Mr. Arzst), for example. Although I haven't seen him in anything else recently. :)
So realism has no place in TV?

Still, when a man weighs 450 pounds and then lives for a month and a half on a diet of fruits and berries without any noticable weight loss, I'm going to wonder aloud about the limits of believablity being stretched.

·
Wooooonicorngodess
12,527 Posts
Would 40lbs really be that noticable on someone his size though. I mean, yes, it's a great acomplishment but with someone that size you drop the pounds and you're left with flab that still needs to be firmed up. I know when I went from 200 to 150 the first 20lbs or so that I lost wasn't very noticable. I stayed in the same pant size and everything. I don't know where those 20lbs came off of but I didn't go down a pant size until I got to about 170.

·
Bone marrow lover!
10,472 Posts
TeeSee said:
So realism has no place in TV?

Still, when a man weighs 450 pounds and then lives for a month and a half on a diet of fruits and berries without any noticable weight loss, I'm going to wonder aloud about the limits of believablity being stretched.
You decide to dwell on the realism of hurleys weight but willing accept that this many people lived through such a plane crash, black smoke thing, polar bears on island, whispers, the list goes on...

Just relax and enjoy it.

·
Domestic Extremist
16,877 Posts
I actually did think he looked a bit thinner - I told my husband that it looked like he dropped a chin.

It's going to take a long time for us to be aware of his weight loss. 10 pounds on a 100 pound person will show dramatically, but 40 pounds on a 450 pound man isn't really going to look much different. Even when he loses 100 pounds, he's still going to look obese, although by then we'll notice he has lost something.

I think too many of us watch those weight loss shows where they show you the 300 pound guy, and they show him exercising, and eating right, and then they cut to a year later when he's 200 pounds and we don't see all the tiny steps in between.

I wonder if it's in his contract that he has to lose weight? It'll be interesting to see what happens in two years, when he gets a lot of it off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.