TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of Roamios and Bolts and a mini LUX but no Edge boxes. Looking to upgrade my displays to 4K from 1080 but don’t really understand what I can output with what I have.

Can I get 4K output fed from any of my boxes from either Comcast HD or OTA recordings? Or do I need an Edge? I really don’t want to be forced to use TE4.

Thanks!

· Registered
2,169 Posts
I have a bunch of Roamios and Bolts but no Edge boxes. Looking to upgrade my displays to 4K from 1080 but don’t really understand what I can output with what I have.

Can I get 4K output fed from any of my boxes from either Comcast HD or OTA recordings? Or do I need an Edge? I really don’t want to be forced to use TE4.

Thanks!
The Bolt is capable of 4K. So far, I'm not aware of any OTA broadcasting 4K. I'm also not aware of any Comcast 4K. AAMOF, I believe all of Comcast transmits in 720p, not even 1080i.

But, I can confirm, I have a TiVo Bolt and I have Verizon Fios. Fios transmits some programming in 4K and my Bolt shows it properly.

Edit: The Roamio is NOT 4K capable, only the Bolt and the Edge.
Edit: I am seeing 4K on the Bolt with TE3.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
Since practically no one broadcasts 4k, the only real 4k the Bolt and Edge get are with apps (Netflix, Prime, etc).

Is the Edge worth upgrading to just for that? Not really.

Keep the TiVos you have. Buy a 4k streaming device to use alongside the TiVos.

· Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Sounds like Bolt OTA for best picture then. Have Apple TV and Roku for streaming.

Any benefit to Edge OTA over Bolt OTA? Better tuners maybe?

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Thanks. Sounds like Bolt OTA for best picture then. Have Apple TV and Roku for streaming.

Any benefit to Edge OTA over Bolt OTA? Better tuners maybe?
More like LESS tuners. The Bolt OTA has 4 tuners and the Edge has only 2 tuners. Also, the Edge has TE4 only, whereas the Bolt can do TE3 or TE4.

· Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More like LESS tuners. The Bolt OTA has 4 tuners and the Edge has only 2 tuners.
The number of tuners doesn’t concern me. The strength/quality of a tuner does. I would only consider an Edge OTA if it was likely to give me better quality output.

· Registered
12 Posts
I have a bunch of Roamios and Bolts and a mini LUX but no Edge boxes. Looking to upgrade my displays to 4K from 1080 but don’t really understand what I can output with what I have.

Thanks!
No 4k available over cable period. But if you have a 4k device (smart TV or Projector it can upscale the picture. True 4k has to be over streaming. And Tivo is terrible for that. Only Netflix and Prime video. The good news the upscaling done on the recording is quite nice on the Tivo Edge. I have compared streaming to recording. Definitely better than 1080p

· Registered
2,169 Posts
No 4k available over cable period. But if you have a 4k device (smart TV or Projector it can upscale the picture. True 4k has to be over streaming. And Tivo is terrible for that. Only Netflix and Prime video. The good news the upscaling done on the recording is quite nice on the Tivo Edge. I have compared streaming to recording. Definitely better than 1080p
That is not totally true. Verizon Fios TV has QAM 4K on about 4 channels right now and a couple more during the Olympics. I realize Fios is not technically cable TV, it's Fiber, but it displays correctly on the TiVo Bolt in 4K and the TiVo Edge in 4K, right along with the HD and SD channels. This is NOT streaming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts