TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TiVoted TiVo User
1,989 Posts
robortho said:
thank you..was it difficult to program?
Nope... as part of the programming of the remote you must point your TiVo remote at the back of the Logitech remote and hit certain keys on the TiVo remote. The software determines what remote code your TiVo remote is set for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 880 as well and the setup is a snap. Very easy, simple and the product works GREAT! I have it controlling everything with a remote, even my fans that had remotes are set to use the harmony 880. The "code learning" where you point a remote at the 880 is amazing.

Get it you will love it!

·
He's a Smooth Fox
426 Posts
Word to the wise.

I loved my 880 when I first got it but it has a serious design flaw that will render it totally useless - it fails to recharge. I had it for 6-8 months before the problems started. Called logitech and they gave me a new charging station. It is still hit or miss - sometimes when I put it on the cradle, it immediately settles in and starts charging. Othertimes, it won't seat correctly and won't charge. I added some stick on rubber "feet" that helps but it is still very flaky. The problem has to do with it not being able to make full contact to the charging contacts.

This is a fatal design flaw (having something to do with the shape of the remote "bed" in the charging station) but not sure if it has been fixed in newer versions. I got mine about a year ago. It's just very weird that it worked great for months, then suddenly stopped and hasn't worked right since. I'm not the only one - I've heard of others with the same problem.

I honestly would consider something else. It's too expensive to fail in less than a year.

But if you decide to chance it, make sure you keep your receipts.

·
Señor Member
93,820 Posts
The charging base problem is my biggest beef with my two 880s. Love them in every other way, and use them where I have two TiVos. The programming had one non-obvious step, but was otherwise a breeze. And when I swap a component (e.g. a DVD player), it is really easy to change the configuration.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the charging base problem a couple years ago with the 880, but not since about 18 months ago, when I got a new charging base and a NEW remote sent to me by logitech. I've since put about four in in family locations, gp's, parents, and they seem to work just fine. As well, I would add that I only put it on the base about once every six-eight weeks, and it never runs out of steam.

·
He's a Smooth Fox
426 Posts
tivoboy - thanks for the info. I'm beginning to think I need a new remote as well. I got a new charging station but using same remote. I suspect it is the remote design that is the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
received the 880 yesterday...tech helped me set up my complicated system. took about an hour and a half. works perfectly. only complaint are the small size of the play and scan buttons. unbelievable how well it works and the help button corrects any problems. thanks for everyone's input.

robert

·
I get paid 2watch TV
6,178 Posts
robortho said:
only complaint are the small size of the play and scan buttons. unbelievable how well it works and the help button corrects any problems. thanks for everyone's input.

robert
I mapped my FF and REW to the PageUp and PageDown buttons.
Much more intuitive, and bigger buttons, easier to find and push.

You don't need them to function as Page Up and Down since Channel Up and Down are Page Up and Down in the TiVo menus.

phox

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a strange question regarding the Harmony 880 remote and I'm wondering if anyone here had seen the same issue.

I have an HR10-250 that I'm leaving to my roommate (getting an HR21 at the new place). It worked great with my 880. I'm setting up a new 880 for him in combination with a new AVR and HDTV. When I run the activity to "Watch TiVo," from a powered off state, the HR10 switches resolutions from 1080i to 720p and then to 480p every time. Oddly, if I switch from one activity to another while the AVR and TV are powered on, it doesn't do this.

I've changed the settings in the HR10 so that the up arrow only selects 1080i, but it still changes to 480p which makes me think it's getting some kind of discrete code for changing the resolution.

I've tried deleting all the devices and activities and setting up the remote from scratch, adding a delay between components for the activity, switching the order in which the devices power up, learning the HR10 commands for power, changing the HR10 "keep on/turn off" settings, and even tried using the codes for the HDRV2 (in hopes that it might not have the codes for resolution switching). Unfortunately it still changes the resolution to 480p.

My current work around has been to add a delay to the activity followed by two "up arrow" commands which switches the HR10 from 480p back to 1080i each time I power it up. It's a kludge, but it works.

Anyone seen this issue before? If so, how did you resolve it? My best guess as to what's going on is that one of the new components (either the Sony AVR or the Panasonic Plasma TV) has an IR code that is sent at power up that is the same as whatever code the HR10 uses to change the output resolution. If that's the case I guess he's hosed, but I'm hoping maybe there's a setting or something I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

·
Dumb Blond
38,559 Posts
I don't have this problem with my HR10 and 880. Let me suggest that you change the "Power" setting for the HR10 to remain on all the time (I assume that "off" puts it in Standby.) This may help. It may also be that the TV is not responding over HDMI the way your old one did, and this can cause the HR10 to hunt. You can tell the HR10 that the TV supports one resolution only (say, 1080i), and it will do the upconvert and won't change resolutions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Steve,

Excellent suggestion regarding the HDMI cable. I had tried changing the power settings in the remote to every possible combination, but hadn't considered that the HDMI connection and the newly connected components downstream might be the culprit.

In my current setup, the HDMI cable goes to the AVR, then the AVR is connected via HDMI to the TV.

The TV I had previously used with this HR10 was connected via component, not HDMI. In my previous post I had mentioned that on power up the HR10 first switches to 720p, then to 480p. To test, I first tried connecting the HR10 directly to the TV via HDMI. When I did this the HR10 switched directly to 480p. I then tried disconnecting the TV and connecting just the AVR to the HR10 via HDMI. With this configuration the HR10 switches to 720p when everything is powered on.

To further test I connected everything through the AVR again and powered on the AVR with its own remote and the HR10 switched to 720p. Switch on the TV with its remote and the HR10 switches to 480p.

So, looks like the 880 has nothing to do with the issue I'm seeing. I added the 880 at the same time as the AVR, but hadn't considered that the AVR might be the culprit. I was using this same TV for about a week before setting up the new AVR and didn't see the issue, so the AVR must be the culprit (prior AVR was my own SR805 which is going to the new place with me :D ) and my SR805 must have filtered out whatever signal the TV is sending that sets the HR10 to 480p.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tip, Steve. At least now I'm not chasing down the issue from the remote perspective. If I can't solve the problem in the AVR, at least the 880 offers me a solution. :) BTW, I set the HR10 to 1080i as the only resolution, but it still switches when the other components are powered on. There might be a setting in the AVR that may help the situation.

·
Dumb Blond
38,559 Posts
Relaying of HDMI signals has been trouble-prone in the past. I would expect any AVR introduced in the past year to do a decent job of it.

When two components are connected by HDMI, the capabilities of the "downstream" device (TV in this case) are passed back, including which resolutions are supported. If your AVR does upconversion of HDMI, this can also play into it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I played around with the various upconversion settings on the AVR (older Sony ATR-DG1000) to no avail. Strangely the TV will switch the HR10 to 720p when connected directly to the HR10 via HDMI even though the TV is 1080p and a current model. Ah, the joys of HDMI. :)

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But does the TV support 1080i? Can that option be turned off on the TV, and is it? The HR10 won't do 1080p.
Yes, the TV supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p as inputs. I know the HR10 won't output 1080p, so 1080i is the best bet. Ideally I'd like the TiVo to output as "native," but unfortunately there's no option for that on the HR10.

There's no setting on the TV (Panasonic TH-50PZ77U) that I know of to adjust input formats.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.