TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any experience with the logitech 880 remote with two hd tivo's and fairly sophisticated home theater system especially controlling thetwo tivos independently?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use a Hermony (659 or something like that, though they all work the same) with two DTivos (one is HD), a plasma TV, stereo receiver for all sound, DVD player, and dual VCR/DVD recorder (although that last component is so complex I use its own remote for the few times I use it.) What do you want to know?

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
I use my 880 to control my SD DirecTiVo and my HD DirecTiVo in the same room without any problems. I did have to set up the TiVo remotes and TiVos to work on the two different remote codes, add the HD TiVo then troubleshoot it that it was not responding to commands. It told me to point the device remote at the learning IR, press a couple of keys and it figured out that I was on remote code 2 (for example).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did the test drive for the 880 remote, thinking about picking one up, and the HR10-250 was not listed in the satellite setup. There was a HD10-250 in the list, would that be the same thing, or was I in the wrong list?

·
Registered
471 Posts
robortho said:
is there an easy way to separate the codes for the two tivos so they work independently?
Yes. The manuals tell you how to set separate remote codes for the Tivos, which you do using the original remotes. Then you teach the settings to the Harmony, which the Harmony website describes how to do. At least that's how I did it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
robortho said:
is there an easy way to separate the codes for the two tivos so they work independently?
LlamaLarry covered everything you need to do except how to assign each Tivo a new remote code. That's in your owner's manual.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
ProStreet said:
I did the test drive for the 880 remote, thinking about picking one up, and the HR10-250 was not listed in the satellite setup. There was a HD10-250 in the list, would that be the same thing, or was I in the wrong list?
Pick any DirecTiVo and you'll be set. :) I think all my devices use the same codeset for Hughes HDVR2. I am pretty sure the entries are remote code 0, so you have to "fix" them to use 1 or 2 as appropriate.

You do need to change all of the TiVos in the same room to use a non 0 code or else you'll be in for a surprise later. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you pick any D* Tivo, will there be a ratio button, and the up arrow to switch the format for the HD? I have all my Tivo's set to different codes.

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
ProStreet said:
If you pick any D* Tivo, will there be a ratio button, and the up arrow to switch the format for the HD? I have all my Tivo's set to different codes.
You can adjust those as needed, I use the center nav circle up/down as my ratio button.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LlamaLarry said:
You can adjust those as needed, I use the center nav circle up/down as my ratio button.
Would you recomend this remote for $200.00, this could be the end of my life when my wife finds out I spent that much on a remote!!!

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
I bought mine for ~$160, but others have done better - I think the price hunting thread is in this forum. My wife's eyes practically bugged out of her head when I told her how much the remote listed for so she was VERY pleased when I told her what I paid. :D

If your setup was like mine you likely have multiple TiVo remotes, TV remote to handle the commands the TiVo misses, maybe a receiver remote, DVD player, etc. It was so complicated I have a Word doc with instructions I used to print out to leave with babysitters, house guests, etc.

Now they press Activity, look for what they want to do, press the softkey and the rest is pretty intuitive. Initial setup CAN be tedious but spending the effort makes it a lot easier for everyone down the road. When a remote command gets missed the Help button will "talk" you through to get everything squared away, but my wife still had a hard time. My new TV does not have discrete input codes so the 880 would step through them each time it changed inputs. I ended up adding an AV Input soft button and solved the problem in a minute.

Other AIO remotes have their fanboys too, but this one does it for me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
DavidS said:
Yes. The manuals tell you how to set separate remote codes for the Tivos, which you do using the original remotes. Then you teach the settings to the Harmony, which the Harmony website describes how to do. At least that's how I did it.
You don't need to learn all of the commands. Just use the "Confirm infrared commands procedure." The Harmony site asks you to hit 3 keys on the TiVo remote, and then it figures out the remote code and sets the rest of the keys appropriately.

·
Registered
798 Posts
In my opinion the Harmony 676 is a better remote. I've had both, returned the 880.

Yes the Harmony will control it all for you, as stated above.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my wife balked at first, but now she can't live without the Harmony. She had me buy one for the bedroom too. We control a HDTV, 2 DTivos, A/V receiver, DVD player, DVD recorder, and XM radio and lots of activities.

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
I have a Pronto but am liking the hard buttons on the 880 and I have never been able to get a good answer to this question. Can this remote change inputs on multiple devices for a macro? I have my Xbox 360 and my HR10-250 both being switched by my A/V receiver into the component in on my TV. TO slelect one, I have to set the right input on my TV, as well as select the right input on my Receiver. Is this possible with the 880? Of course, I also have DVD and Laserdisc hooked to other TV inputs that have seperate receiver inputs as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ProStreet -- my 880 should be here this afternoon. Found it for $179. More important, go to the Harmony/Logitech website and they're doing a $50 rebate, right now.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts