TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my DirecTiVoHD installed. Had a little BBQ antenna installed inside, works fine. He said 1/10/2006 is the date for the HD channels to be available over the sat for here in Portland, or.

What is the quality difference between say OTA ABC and a DTV hosted ABC? Does DTV re-compress the signal in mpeg2 or something like that?

Steve

· TechKnow Guide
4,779 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath expecting local HD channels in Portland next month. They're just now going "live" with the new MPEG4 satellite in a few cities (Detroit, Atlanta, San Francisco).

Initial quality reports from the first rollout cities is that the quality is quite good, although OTA is still a bit better.

· Registered
104 Posts
litzdog911 said:
I wouldn't hold my breath expecting local HD channels in Portland next month. They're just now going "live" with the new MPEG4 satellite in a few cities (Detroit, Atlanta, San Francisco).

Initial quality reports from the first rollout cities is that the quality is quite good, although OTA is still a bit better.
If my calculation is correct (according to all the official press releases), DirecTV now offers HD LIL in 10 cities with LA and NY suppose to go live with MPEG 4 this month.

It is very possible that Portland could be going live in January. Portland could be one of the initial markets they plan for Spaceway 2

· TechKnow Guide
4,779 Posts
Fluffybear said:
If my calculation is correct (according to all the official press releases), DirecTV now offers HD LIL in 10 cities with LA and NY suppose to go live with MPEG 4 this month.

It is very possible that Portland could be going live in January. Portland could be one of the initial markets they plan for Spaceway 2
Don't hold your breath :)

· Registered
1,462 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Don't hold your breath :)
I think DirecTV is planning for HD locals in at least 100 markets, or is it 150. That's with 4 satellites. So it wouldn't surprise me if they can accomodate Portland, which is DMA #23, with just one operational Spaceway satellite.

Also, some reports have said that NY and LA won't get MPEG-4 until later, since they're already served by existing MPEG-2 HD. That's two more DMA's that should be "ahead" of PDX that are being skipped.

Finally, DirecTV seems to be quickly pushing HD out to many markets. I would have thought they would be much more deliberate in the rollout. That also points to them getting to PDX in the near future.

But only time will tell. Also maybe KOIN will again be holdouts.

68 Posts
Fluffybear said:

I live in the Los Angeles area and I am in the process of upgrading to a HDTivo. I was told a couple of days ago from several different people at DTV that LA will not be getting any MPEG 4 HD channels in the "forseeable" future because we already have the four networks in MPEG 2. A customer retention supervisor told me that MPEG 4 is currently only being deployed to markets that currently do not have local HD.

Since I am paying for a new HDTivo and I don't want to be caught with a product that won't work, I verified this with two other people during different calls. LA will eventually move to MPEG 4, but it will be later rather then sooner... they don't want to get into a costly equipment swap out in the second biggest market.

Kevin

· Registered
104 Posts
kepper said:
Fluffybear said:

I live in the Los Angeles area and I am in the process of upgrading to a HDTivo. I was told a couple of days ago from several different people at DTV that LA will not be getting any MPEG 4 HD channels in the "forseeable" future because we already have the four networks in MPEG 2. A customer retention supervisor told me that MPEG 4 is currently only being deployed to markets that currently do not have local HD.

Since I am paying for a new HDTivo and I don't want to be caught with a product that won't work, I verified this with two other people during different calls. LA will eventually move to MPEG 4, but it will be later rather then sooner... they don't want to get into a costly equipment swap out in the second biggest market.

Kevin
The way I heard it was LA and NY will have 2 streams for the time being (one at MPEG-2 and MPEG-4).

Again, I am only going with what I have read in a press release.

· Registered
33 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Hmmm .... good news, maybe :)
Seattle should be up near the top the list since we're DMA#12.
Naah, we're 13 on their list. When they released the inital list Tampa was ahead of us. Some speculate it's location, others that Tampa has outgrown us.

Me? I think it's like ESPN, they just forgot we existed.

· Registered
48 Posts
Fluffybear said:
A little birdie told me today that 12 more markets are going live prior to SuperBowl Sunday. DirecTV wants to get as many markets online possible prior to the superbowl and winter olympics.
12 more in addition to the original 12 would mean the top 24 markets and I'm in Baltimre, DMA #24 ! :up:

· Registered
104 Posts
Onazuka said:
12 more in addition to the original 12 would mean the top 24 markets and I'm in Baltimre, DMA #24 ! :up:
The only thing is 12 more markets does not always mean 13-24. DirecTV did skip Seattle (DMA 12) in favor of Tampa (DMA 13) during this go around.

· Heavy User (of TiVo)
568 Posts
mikeg_ms said:
Naah, we're 13 on their list. When they released the inital list Tampa was ahead of us. Some speculate it's location, others that Tampa has outgrown us.

Me? I think it's like ESPN, they just forgot we existed.
I think maybe Brent Mussberger must have some influence on the DMA picks. After all, he LOVES Seattle, doesn't he? Was he not a Sonics fan when they won the championship? (choke, spit, gurgle!)

· Registered
112 Posts
KOIN is a joke. EVERY year we get jobbed out of the UGA-Florida game for the Multnomah County Humane Society Telethone. Now, I am all for the Humane Society, but in place of the Cocktail Party?!?! Travesty...

So, will it be worth it to upgrade or just stick with OTA?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.