TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the book on page 31, it states that you can press the LIVE TV button to switch to the other tuner. When I do this, it just brings up the guide. The only way I can switch is to press INFO, and then select the option to change the tuner. Anyone else with this issue? Is there something I don't have enabled perhaps? Thanks.

·
More hair, less 30lb
2,004 Posts
I don't see an option for it, but hitting Live TV switches the tuners for me.

·
Super Moderator
59,641 Posts
Did you happen to use an old peanut on the S3 at any time? Or perhaps a Harmony? The TiVo software has two modes. One is designed to work with the old peanut remotes which only had a single button for Live TV / Guide and the other to work with the ones that hvae the seperate Live TV and Guide buttons. The TiVo button on each style of remote is codec slightly differently so that when you press the TiVo button on an old style remote it kicks the software into the single button mode, and if you press the TiVo button on the new style remote it kicks it into the multi-button mode. If you happen to have a Harmony, or other universal remote, it's possible that the TiVo button was learned from an old style remote and is causing it to kick into single button mode. The best way to fix this is to simply re-learn the button directly form the S3 remote.

Dan

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
lawilson2 said:
In the book on page 31, it states that you can press the LIVE TV button to switch to the other tuner. When I do this, it just brings up the guide. The only way I can switch is to press INFO, and then select the option to change the tuner. Anyone else with this issue? Is there something I don't have enabled perhaps? Thanks.
I'm having this same issue. It's definitely a bug.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
lawilson2 said:
I use the S3 remote...have connected to the TiVo service...have rebooted the S3, and nothing fixes it. The frustrating thing is that it's intermittent.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
MattDing said:
I've seen that happen with DirecTiVos before when both tuners are on the same channel.

Try changing the channel and then hitting the Live TV button.
Ah, Peter...I will give that a try when I get home later. That could explain why it happens sometimes and not all the time.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
The DTs do have a reported bug where they do not switch tuners reliably -- mine certainly does not -- so it's possible the S3s are buggy in that area as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
At the risk of taking this off topic ....

does anyone know why regular tivos use the live tv button to switch tuners and the directv tivos use the arrow down button?

Coming from the directv side, it was a lot easier to hit the down arrow to switch tuners than to reach over to livetv.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
Well, got home from work, checked the S3 to make sure the tuners were on different channels, and the Live TV button STILL brings up the program guide and DOES NOT switch tuners. Aggravating.

EDIT: But, when I hit the TiVo button, then go back to Live TV, then hit it again, it DOES switch tuners. Gotta be a bug, albeit a minor one, I guess, in the grand scope of things.

·
Substantive Member
12,251 Posts
I thought I'd already posted this twice, but have you tried hitting the TiVo button once? This tells the S3 you have a LiveTV button. Some pretty bad design means it doesn't work unless you've been to TiVo central once.

I use it as my reboot detector. This is one of the FAQs on the DTiVo fora, they've had 2 tuners for a while.

·
Super Moderator
59,641 Posts
Bierboy said:
Well, got home from work, checked the S3 to make sure the tuners were on different channels, and the Live TV button STILL brings up the program guide and DOES NOT switch tuners. Aggravating.

EDIT: But, when I hit the TiVo button, then go back to Live TV, then hit it again, it DOES switch tuners. Gotta be a bug, albeit a minor one, I guess, in the grand scope of things.
Are you using an old TiVo remote or a programable remote like a Harmony? Even for another TiVo in the same room?

Dan

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
Dan203 said:
Are you using an old TiVo remote or a programable remote like a Harmony? Even for another TiVo in the same room?

Dan
I have a brand, spanking-new S3 and am using the TiVo peanut that came with it.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
btwyx said:
I thought I'd already posted this twice, but have you tried hitting the TiVo button once?....
Maybe I misstated...what I did was hit the TiVo button once, then hit the Live TV button twice (to see if it would switch tuners). I didn't state it clearly enough...sorry.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,022 Posts
Ames said:
I plan to use a Harmony. What am I going to have to do to get that thing working with it?
It'll work just fine....it will take a bit of adjusting. The main problem I had was repeats, delays, etc. It was VERY sensitive to number pushes. I would hit the number three for instance, and it would punch in two or three of them. I have the 659.

·
Super Moderator
59,641 Posts
If you use a Harmony just make sure to learn the TiVo button directly from the S3 remote. Some of the ones in the database are coded to the old style remote and cause this issue.

Dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.