TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
User
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting a list of Tivos that cannot be hacked without a prom modification. DTivos need to be hacked to use their USB ports, standalones do not. Prom modding is not easy, but perhaps you can find a pro to do it for you. Unless you solder for a living and have the specialized tools to do it (special tips, solder wick, stereoscope, DATA I/O device), don't attempt to undertake this risky procedure yourself.

DirecTV Tivo R10
Tivo TCD540040
TiVo TCD540080
TiVo TCD540140
Humax T800
Humax DRT400
Humax DRT800
Humax T2500
Toshiba RS-TX20
Toshiba RS-TX60
TCD649080
TCD649180

·
Registered
206 Posts
Say i'm on the list, and I *really* want TivoWebPlus. And while i'm at it, perhaps USB 2.0 drivers. Where are these places I can send it to have the modification done? I'm moving in like two weeks, so will be without TV for a while anyway, it's the perfect time to send the box away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rbautch said:
On the "other forum", there is a sticky called "PROM Socketing" in the Series 2 support forum. There a 2 users listed who will do it for $50.
Those users are no longer in the business. Please search the "other forum" for my thread entitled "Problems with Prom Mod".

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, so no hacks.. but is it still possible to make backups of the original disk, either for future replacement or capacity increasing?

·
Registered
103 Posts
kramerboy said:
Sure, you can do that.
Thanks... I didn't realize "unhackable" was only talking about the USB port. After so many years of happily using Series 1 machines (all SVR-2000's) I find the latest Tivo specials on the Humax DVD recorders a little too irresistable. Just wanted to check 'em out here in the forum before I click on "add to cart"...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, since I only have DirecTV DVRs (3 HR10-250s and a couple of HDVR2s). I just bought two TCD540140 TiVos for my mother who has cable. Am I to understand that I cannot use the USB ports? I'm not interested in hacking. I just want the daily call to go by broadband, and perhaps set up MRV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You can certainly use the 540 units' USB ports for broadband and MRV.

When the original post in this thread mentions not being able to enable the USB ports, it's really talking about the lone DirecTV model on the list (the R10). Perhaps that should be clarified.

Drew

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
azitnay said:
You can certainly use the 540 units' USB ports for broadband and MRV.

When the original post in this thread mentions not being able to enable the USB ports, it's really talking about the lone DirecTV model on the list (the R10). Perhaps that should be clarified.

Drew
Thanks. The OP has me confused since it says:

List of "Unhackable Tivos"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since so many people ask about enabling their USB ports and hacking, I'm posting a list of Tivos that cannot be hacked without a prom modification. You can send your Tivo out to be modded for around $50. Unless you solder for a living and have the specialized tools to do it (special tips, solder wick, stereoscope, DATA I/O device), don't attempt to undertake this risky procedure.

DirecTV Tivo R10
Tivo TCD540040
TiVo TCD540080
TiVo TCD540140
Humax T800
Humax DRT400
Humax DRT800
Humax T2500
Toshiba RS-TX20
Toshiba RS-TX60

What can't be done with the TCD540140?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Without a hardware (PROM) modification, 540 units can't be hacked to, say, add TiVoWebPlus, and other hacks of that nature.

Pretty much the only "hack" you can do on a 540 without messing with the PROM is a hard disk upgrade.

Drew

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ahh, thanks guys. That answers my questions. My mom is 75, so she's not going to be doing any hacking. As long as I can use the USB ports, I'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
New Custom Title
94,208 Posts
What's the status on hacking the HDTiVo? I've currently got a pair of HDVR2's hacked with 6.2 and all the goodies.

Are all the same things possible on the HDTiVo?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I'm not a DirecTV guy, but AFAIK the HR10-250 is just as hackable as the other DTV S2's that came before it. The only "unhackable" (without PROM mod) DirecTiVo is the R10.

Drew

1 - 20 of 75 Posts