TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
guestwithquestin said:
If I buy a unit off of eBay with a lifetime subscribition, can I transfer the lifetme from the original unit to a new TiVo unit?

Thanks.
Generally the answer is no, however, right now they are allowing transfers on units with service bought before I certain date.

Read:

http://www.tivo.com/transfer

They generally do not allow transfers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drugrep said:
Generally the answer is no, however, right now they are allowing transfers on units with service bought before I certain date.

Read:

(edited because I can't post links)

They generally do not allow transfers.
Do I have to buy the unit from them for that? Or can I order it from Amazon?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rambler said:
Purchasing from Amazon or anywhere else is fine.
I found this in the Terms & Conditions section of the transfer offer.

3. Eligible customer must purchase a TiVo Series2 80 hr DT DVR from Tivo Transfer Promo by 7/23/2007 and transfer of the qualifying Product Lifetime Subscription to the DVR purchased pursuant to this offer is required by 8/31/2007.

Does that mean I can't buy it from Amazon?, because on eBay on some of the auctions it says that the lifetime is transferable. :confused: Sorry for all the questions.

Update---Nevermind. I found what I was looking for. Once I transfer the TiVo Lifetime to my name, I can transfer it to a new unit one time... Please correct me if I am wrong

·
Banned
4,869 Posts
If you need to buy a used Tivo that already has lifetime on it so that you can transfer it to a new tivo, you can buy it anywhere, but the lifetime service has to have been purchased before 6-15-03.

The Tivo that lifetime service would be transfered to needs to be purchased from here at tivo.com

Update---Nevermind. I found what I was looking for. Once I transfer the TiVo Lifetime to my name, I can transfer it to a new unit one time... Please correct me if I am wrong
That's wrong. Lifetime transfers are now only allowed when tivo has an offer to do so such as the current offer. If a tivo has a lifetime subscription that was purchased before 1-20-00, the lifetime sub is eligible to be transfered one time to another tivo. They only allow this because there was confusion about what lifetime meant, they have since made it very clear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a lifetime on my Pioneer 810H and its getting old. Started to start and stop when playing a show, pixelated pictures, etc. I restarted and deleted everything. Is this like reformatting the HD? It seemed to work, but I lost all my recordings, of course, and my programming. No big deal but wanted to see if the unit was crashing. OK for now. But if it does crash, did I read that TIVO will allow a lifetime to be transferred to a new unit ONE TIME? Thanks
J Jansen

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
RoadWriter said:
I have a lifetime on my Pioneer 810H and its getting old. Started to start and stop when playing a show, pixelated pictures, etc. I restarted and deleted everything. Is this like reformatting the HD? It seemed to work, but I lost all my recordings, of course, and my programming. No big deal but wanted to see if the unit was crashing. OK for now. But if it does crash, did I read that TIVO will allow a lifetime to be transferred to a new unit ONE TIME? Thanks
J Jansen
Only if you have a paid TiVo Plus (not TiVo basic which comes with the unit) and it was activated before 1/20/2000 can you transfer to any unit you want. If you have the paid TiVo Plus and it meets the other restrictions you may be able to take advantage of the $299 transfer to a DT previously discussed.

·
Banned
4,869 Posts
funtoupgrade said:
If you have the paid TiVo Plus and it meets the other restrictions you may be able to take advantage of the $299 transfer to a DT previously discussed.
The primary restriction being that the lifetime sub has to have been activated before 6-15-03.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.