TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Okay I just want to make sure I have all this straight before I go out and do it all. I have digital cable at my house and want to get a Tivo. I'm going to go to Best Buy and pick up the Tivo Series 2 Digital Video Recorder with 80 hour capacity. However, since I don't have a phone line I'm going to bring it to my parent's house and use their phone line to do the initial setup for the Tivo? Then I'm going to bring the Tivo back to my apartment and use my wireless internet and an approved USB adapter in the Tivo to get the rest of the updates? I guess I'm just concerned with the initial phone setup, since I don't have a phone line in my apartment however I do have a wireless network. Please let me know if this would work. I know this is probably been covered in the forums, but I'm just asking for your assistance. The guy at bestbuy said this wasn't possible since I don't have a phone line and that's the way Tivo get's it's updates. However I think from what I've read that Tivo just needs the initial setup with the phone line then it can use the internet to get the program updates. Please let me know if I"m on the right track.... Next to come is updating the drive with a 250 gig hard drive. Thank you in advance...

·
The Dude abides
5,604 Posts
Everything you said is accurate.

However, some TiVos can do the initial call over wired or wireless internet. It all depends on what version of the software is on the box. Version 7.2 can do everything over the network. One of the TiVo employees who posts here (TiVoPony? TiVoJerry?) told us that, when you're at the store, look on the UPC label. You will fine an "SS" on it somewhere if if has 7.2. If it does, you will be able to do everything at your house. If not, you will have to bring it to your parents'.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just set up my box, with the same specs you will have. My 7.2 TIVO worked perfectly going through the network for the first time. I have never had a phone line plugged into my unit. Also, on the network adapter, make sure the series is correct. There are a number of adapters with the correct part number, but the series number will be different.....make sure to open the network adapter and look at it for the series number, mine was not on the box.

·
The Dude abides
5,604 Posts
Just to be clear, you may not find one in the store that has 7.2 on it. You will eventually GET 7.2, as TiVo will download and install it eventually. It's just that it needs to be on the box from the beginning if you want to do the initial call over the network.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can definitely change your dialing prefix to ,#401 (and the dialing option screen tells you that pause is , and something else is #). Force several connects, and then it will eventually get a service update. You'll then need to restart it, and you're all set. One thing to note, though -- this could take a while, b/c after the initial call, it'll want to download & organize guide data,which *could* take a few hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.