TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
potato potato potato
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month of using my two HR20s, I have to say I don't miss the HR10s.

Sure, there are some muscle-memory moves that I am having to relearn, but overall, the new units are just as reliable as the old ones.

My Harmony remotes work just fine, same basic config. My wife hardly noticed.

And I was able to sell my HR10s for cash. Which means my upgrade actually earned me $200.

What are you waiting for? When D10 lights up next month, there will be a rush to the exit and you don't want to be left behind.

I loved Replay, moved on to TiVo. I loved TiVo, moved on to HR20. I love my HR20s, for now and until the next big thing appears.

My money says you will, too.

Move on, boys.
 

·
Just hangin'
Joined
·
30,958 Posts
What am I waiting for?

I'm waiting for my HD locals (DMA is 157 and we don't have all networks OTA, which impacts DirecTV delivery) and for the dust to settle. :)
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
I'm waiting for the HR20 to reliably record what I want when I want without any manual intervention and without cutting shows short. I already have a HR20 but the HR10-250 is still my primary receiver. The HR10-250 is still a much more reliable product IMHO. Even though the new satellite will be mpeg-4 HD, I'm not sure how much of the programming is going to be HD and how much is going to be standard definition up converted.
 

·
potato potato potato
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimSpence said:
What am I waiting for?

I'm waiting for my HD locals (DMA is 157 and we don't have all networks OTA, which impacts DirecTV delivery) and for the dust to settle. :)
In that regard, I still have my locals OTA as well as by LIL. Just in case, you understand.
 

·
Just hangin'
Joined
·
30,958 Posts
And, we are still waiting for our SD locals. :(

I get ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS via OTA. No NBC or CW available, hence not knowing what DirecTV will do when our DMA # comes up.
 

·
New DirecTivo, when?
Joined
·
145 Posts
I was waiting too... but I succumbed and did the dirty deed today. I feel greasy. :(

I've been wait and waiting, but finally decided to go ahead and upgrade my HR10-250 to the HR20. It's a sad day here in this Tivo family (we even have matching license plates, TIVOGUY and TIVOGAL). I got the deal at NO charge, but I was required to 'trade-in' the HR10. I didn't realize that was going to happen, but I guess it's not a big deal as, and this what concerns me, I was told I really had no option if I wanted to continue to receive HD. The retention rep told me that by the end of the year, the HR10 will be obsolete as they are moving all of the HD channels to the new Sat and to the MPEG4 format.

Is this true? I've read most of the threads here on the subject, but I must have missed that fact? Are the HR10s going to be doorstops by the end of the year? The rep I spoke to was VERY knowledgeable. Unlike most, he had a good grasp on all the other facts that I was aware of.

We still have one Tivo (and old Sony Series1) left that we use on standard def TVs. But it's still quite a culture shock to use to know we'll not be using a Tivo for our main viewing in our home theater.
 

·
TiVoted TiVo User
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
JoeTiVo said:
Are the HR10s going to be doorstops by the end of the year?
Not by any stretch of the imagination. They will be able to receive all mpeg-2 based programming and OTA ATSC signals. They will still get guide data from DirecTV. It is not even clear when DirecTV plans to turn off the existing mpeg-2 HDTV feeds.
 

·
New DirecTivo, when?
Joined
·
145 Posts
rminsk said:
Not by any stretch of the imagination. They will be able to receive all mpeg-2 based programming and OTA ATSC signals. They will still get guide data from DirecTV. It is not even clear when DirecTV plans to turn off the existing mpeg-2 HDTV feeds.
Well, right. I shouldn't have used the term doorstop. They would still receive standard def programming. But, according to this rep, they will no longer receive HD signals as they are all being moved over to the new bird to allow for more room on the existing Sat for more locals.

That's what I was told anyway. But, we do know how those D* reps can be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
What are you waiting for? When D10 lights up next month, there will be a rush to the exit and you don't want to be left behind.
A lot of us Tivo users are going to hang around and see if there is going to be a DTivo mpeg4 HD.

Despite what some people say about the HR20, it is not enjoying a good reputation. Look at the survey numbers for DirecTV - they dropped the most of all of the cable and satellite vendors. There is a survey on Engadget showing less than half of the people think its ready for primetime while a quarter of them say absolutely not. Another story on CNET news suggested that the HR20 had a higher number of folks not liking it compared to the normal number of folks speaking up about not liking a product.

Neither of those suggest overwhelming support for DirecTV's dvr.
 

·
New DirecTivo, when?
Joined
·
145 Posts
RS4 said:
A lot of us Tivo users are going to hang around and see if there is going to be a DTivo mpeg4 HD.
I can certainly understand that. I hated to order a HR20, but I didn't want to miss out on some of my favorite channels in HD.

I'll be the first in line to go back to an HD Tivo if they do work with D* to develop an MPEG4 compliant unit.
 

·
Gee thanks Jeremy...
Joined
·
7,437 Posts
I just got my HR20 installed yesterday, so I now have an HR10 and an HR20. I'm still learning the HR20, but I come to appreciate even more, the elegant simplicity of the TiVo interface. The HR20 is not bad and should improve even more. It still needs full DLB support and they badly need to work on the FF/REW/skip keys, particularly their ability (or lack thereof much of the time...) to skip to the next tick mark and begining/end of the buffer. It does not work very well! Also, I can't get it to display video correctly on my HDMI connected HDTV and my other analog TV's in the house that I have the video distributed to at the same time
 

·
Cracker Soul
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
jmrife said:
What are you waiting for? When D10 lights up next month, there will be a rush to the exit and you don't want to be left behind.
I'm waiting on my DTV commitment to wind down another month and to see whether there will be any big discounts on the TiVo S3 before deciding on that vs the TiVo HD.

My exit is marked "cable" so unless there are a lot of HR10 owners in the WOW market area I don't think I need to worry about a rush.

Move on, boys.
Soon enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
RS4 said:
A lot of us Tivo users are going to hang around and see if there is going to be a DTivo mpeg4 HD.
Yeah, that would be me. Sure HD channels do look great, but given that we don't have a huge HD set (only 37") Zoomed SD shows look okay. We'll pull our locals off an antenna for the time being and wait for the Mpeg4 DTivo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
rminsk said:
I'm waiting for the HR20 to reliably record what I want when I want without any manual intervention and without cutting shows short. I already have a HR20 but the HR10-250 is still my primary receiver. The HR10-250 is still a much more reliable product IMHO. Even though the new satellite will be mpeg-4 HD, I'm not sure how much of the programming is going to be HD and how much is going to be standard definition up converted.
I am doing the same, currently. I am using the HR20, as my primary receiver, but I am keeping the HR10-250 running, in parallel because of the suspect reliability. The thing that scares me is that I have already lost ALL my recordings once(luckily it was right after I got my box, so I only lost 2 recordings), due to the box locking up(this was when it updated my software). This NEVER EVER happened with any of my Tivos and IMO should never ever happen on the HR20, short of a catastrophic failure. I will fear my next forced software update, on the HR20, I can tell you that.

As for cutting things short or not starting on time, I've had this problem, in the past with my HR10-250 before, so it's nothing new. I ALWAYS pad my recordings by a minute or 2, just to be sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
I picked up my first HR20 yesterday. So far I don't mind the new interface at all. It seems less cartoonish than the DTivo it replaced. Installer said they were gearing up for September when they expect to be back logged several weeks once the new HD channels come on online and football starts.
 

·
potato potato potato
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HiDefGator said:
Installer said they were gearing up for September when they expect to be back logged several weeks once the new HD channels come on online and football starts.
That's what I've been saying. It will soon be too late to be early. In another couple of weeks, new install appointments will be sometime around Halloween.

Scary thought, that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
jmrife said:
That's what I've been saying. It will soon be too late to be early. In another couple of weeks, new install appointments will be sometime around Halloween.

Scary thought, that.
What's the big rush? All that is happening in September is that there will be more HD-capable channels. That doesn't mean it's HD content. How many of those new channels will be using HD cameras or is most of it just going to be the occasional program?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
RS4 said:
What's the big rush? All that is happening in September is that there will be more HD-capable channels. That doesn't mean it's HD content. How many of those new channels will be using HD cameras or is most of it just going to be the occasional program?
Either way, I can't wait. I can only dream of the day when every channel is HD.
 

·
Drew != Drawn
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
The HD channels that roll out in September are just the tip of the iceberg, and I expect new HD channels to roll out every month. I also expect installers to be very busy, with appointment windows at least three to five weeks out, especially in my area, where installations generally run two to three weeks out.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top