TiVo Community Forum banner
161 - 180 of 347 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
If they were flying in helicopter, why not just keep flying that instead of diverting off to just get into another plane? Besides if they flew in the copter into the hole, the military guy would be less warry of them, (maybe thinking it was just another news copter or something). A drone can fly in without any attention, so why not a 'news' copter?

· I am Groot!
58,994 Posts
If they were flying in helicopter, why not just keep flying that instead of diverting off to just get into another plane? Besides if they flew in the copter into the hole, the military guy would be less warry of them, (maybe thinking it was just another news copter or something). A drone can fly in without any attention, so why not a 'news' copter?
The plane was specially designed to survive the passage (remember, everything else they've sent through has crashed).

· Registered
1,843 Posts
If everybody acts like even moderately rational human beings, there just isn't enough drama. Gota have dem 'splosions!
Hell, we didn't go through a giant sinkhole to 10,000 years in the past and we still can't get people to act moderately rational to each other these days. to me this is the most believable aspect of the show. There's a limited about of things down there that can boom. They should save them 'splosions up.

1. Gavin sent an iPad instead of written notes, when everything that goes through crashes.
  2. Just an iPad. Why isn't anyone sending food or guns or survival equipment?
  3. Then again, food and water hasn't been a topic since the giant sloth ate everything. In a stranded-in-the-wilderness scenario, food and water would be most of your day.
  4. How much weed did that guy bring? How long can a vape battery last?
  5. If Gavin wants to risk flying down, why is that government guy so against that it would be worth shooting down a plane over LA? Press conference: "We shot him down and caused major damage to the city and killing 5 people because he was going to fly into a big hole."
  6. Air Force woman hadn't used up her bullets in 3+ years?
  1. Most of the people wouldn't beleive it unless they saw it?
  2. Good question. I'm guessing that they don't want to risk sending anything down that might cause another quake.
  3. Water isn't too much of an issue since they're near the L.A. River. Food? We see them eating MREs, but how long could those last? They need to do some hunting and fishing.
  4. Really. this makes no sense either. At least they show phones dieing. I wonder how many people had the sense to put theirs's into airplane mode to save battery.
  5. Plane goes in the hole LA gets another quake. Govt. wants to avoid quakes (of course with the quakes L.A. gets normally who can tell one from the other?).
  6. Same issue with the vape pen.
Why haven't we seen anyone getting sick from the various pathogens that were alive back then that we have no immunity for or stomach issues from the water?

· Registered
5,258 Posts
“She said Santa Monica, that’s miles from here”
Me: Wow, how can they get there in time?
“You can use the Jeep, I just got is started”
Me: Great timing, Jeep Guy, but how can they find it?
“I can navigate by the stars, learned it in Basic”
Me: but what about the terrain?
“I’m pretty sure it’s flatlands to the ocean”
Me: How could you possibly know that, stoner guy

I Love this show :)

· Premium Member
9,704 Posts
"She said Santa Monica, that's miles from here"
Me: Wow, how can they get there in time?
"You can use the Jeep, I just got is started"
"I can navigate by the stars, learned it in Basic"
Me: but what about the terrain?
"I'm pretty sure it's flatlands to the ocean"
Me: How could you possibly know that, stoner guy
I flipped it on mid show, and saw them basically driving around in a jeep like nothing had happened. At first I thought I was watching the wrong show.

· Now with more GB
Record Them If You Got Them, And You Got Them So Record Them
3,474 Posts
"I can navigate by the stars, learned it in Basic"
Er, unless you know the exact date and time, and your longitude, the only way you can "navigate by the stars" is by finding the North Star and working from there - and The Version I Heard Was, the North Star was different 10,000 years ago than it is now.

Besides - didn't they have to get there and then back to La Brea before it got dark, since they thought the fissure would close sometime that night?

· I am Groot!
58,994 Posts
Er, unless you know the exact date and time, and your longitude, the only way you can "navigate by the stars" is by finding the North Star and working from there - and The Version I Heard Was, the North Star was different 10,000 years ago than it is now.

Besides - didn't they have to get there and then back to La Brea before it got dark, since they thought the fissure would close sometime that night?
Well, you can navigate by the daytime stars. :D

(Seriously, though, you know where you are and where you're going. The Sun will tell you which direction to go.)

· Registered
1,843 Posts

Back around 10,000 BCE Polaris was not the North Star. It would've been either Vega (which was more NNW than true North) or Eltanin in Draco which is a a little dimmer than Polaris but is better placed for North than Vega. Some astronomers say it would've been Thuban (also in Draco) but looking at some planetarium programs I tend to stick with Eltanin or Vega.

· Skin cancer I need like a hole in the head.
4,308 Posts
In answer to question 5 of TLC's post. When previous aircraft went in it caused earth tremors, one worse than the last. They were concerned that another plane would cause a major earthquake.

· All About Footwork
29,906 Posts
I can give them passes on stuff like that because it can always be explainted as part of a later arc.

The "test stick in the water thing" fails in any arc.
The test-stick-in-water thing resonated with me because it's almost a right of passage for young kids in Egypt. The first step in the Nile is ankle-deep, the second one is "head underwater" deep. So adults always trick youngsters getting into the Nile for the first time. Much hilarity ensues :D

· Registered
3,990 Posts
Polaris wouldn't have been the north star, but it certainly would have been close enough to get to Santa Monica. Or just follow the LA river (it went through Ballona creek back then, which vape guy at least would know) until you hit the beach, then go north until you hit the Santa Monica mountains. But either way, that trip breaking trail all the way would take days, not hours.

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the unnaturally light gold. Gold is twice as dense as lead; that much bullion would be so heavy that ten men would have trouble carrying it.

· Save the Moderatоr
34,402 Posts
Polaris wouldn't have been the north star, but it certainly would have been close enough to get to Santa Monica. Or just follow the LA river (it went through Ballona creek back then, which vape guy at least would know) until you hit the beach, then go north until you hit the Santa Monica mountains. But either way, that trip breaking trail all the way would take days, not hours.

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the unnaturally light gold. Gold is twice as dense as lead; that much bullion would be so heavy that ten men would have trouble carrying it.
The significant problem to overcome is finding something that doesn't have something about it worthy of a complaint. At the moment there's just so much to complain about in every single minute of the show that it's hard to remember if something has been mentioned already.

· Registered
1,843 Posts

Yeah, but that's a trope in all TV and movies representations of gold. In goldfinger when Bond is trying to open the bomb case by hitting the lock with a gold bar I had to laugh since a single gold bar (ingot) is about 33lbs. There was no way in hell he'd be able to this one handed.

· Now with more GB
Record Them If You Got Them, And You Got Them So Record Them
3,474 Posts
I thought that at first, but I thought each bar was marked "50 oz," which is about 4 troy pounds. My next thought was, "Wouldn't 50 oz bars be much smaller in volume?," but then I assumed that, for whatever reason, they weren't 24 karat.

It turns out that gold has a density of about 10 troy ounces per cubic inch, so a 50-ounce 24K bar should be only 5 cubic inches. Those looked like they were at least 50 cubic inches, so they would have been only 10% gold...

161 - 180 of 347 Posts