TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 347 Posts

· Registered
1,843 Posts
I keep looking at what appears to be the Petersen Auto Museum behind them (red stripes). They must have some food and clothes. Who knows what else.
I agree, even if it's only a portion of the museum, it should provide shelter of some sort.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The dumb is starting to hurt. Where do we start? How about when Eve pokes a stick in the edge of the river, it only goes in a foot or two, and proclaims the river isn't deep. Because we all know rivers never get any deeper than their banks.

How about Heroin Boy? All that nervous twitch of a character has to do is explain to everyone what he found, what he did, and that's that. But no, let's keep it a secret, so Druggie can hold it over him. Possibly the dumbest sub-plot in the history of sub-plots.

The fully equipped plane horse lady built? Or the fort they found, that was wide open. Unless it's abandoned, isn't the idea of a fort to keep people out?

But my favorite has to be the massive government cover-up. Wouldn't the LA Times or WaPo or NYT or somebody be asking a few questions? Like WTF is at the bottom of it? Any show that depends on a massive government conspiracy as a plot point is doomed to failure.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,555 Posts
The dumb is starting to hurt. Where do we start? How about when Eve pokes a stick in the edge of the river, it only goes in a foot or two, and proclaims the river isn't deep. Because we all know rivers never get any deeper than their banks.

How about Heroin Boy? All that nervous twitch of a character has to do is explain to everyone what he found, what he did, and that's that. But no, let's keep it a secret, so Druggie can hold it over him. Possibly the dumbest sub-plot in the history of sub-plots.

The fully equipped plane horse lady built? Or the fort they found, that was wide open. Unless it's abandoned, isn't the idea of a fort to keep people out?

But my favorite has to be the massive government cover-up. Wouldn't the LA Times or WaPo or NYT or somebody be asking a few questions? Like WTF is at the bottom of it? Any show that depends on a massive government conspiracy as a plot point is doomed to failure.
Because you can't have one of these types of shows without a massive government coverup. That's just how they are done. Yeah, three seems like NO panic at all outside the hole.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yeah, there seems like NO panic at all outside the hole.
That's part of what makes shows like this fail. You have to be true to your reality. You can make up rules, but they have to be honest to the setting.

In this case, if a sinkhole this big opens up in LA, it would be a story the equivalent of 9/11. It wouldn't leave the front page for weeks. The writers could have come up with a better story for the top-side story than... well, no story. It just disappeared off the radar of the average American? Right...

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,555 Posts
That's part of what makes shows like this fail. You have to be true to your reality. You can make up rules, but they have to be honest to the setting.

In this case, if a sinkhole this big opens up in LA, it would be a story the equivalent of 9/11. It wouldn't leave the front page for weeks. The writers could have come up with a better story for the top-side story than... well, no story. It just disappeared off the radar of the average American? Right...
And there seems to be too much backstory history with the people in the hole too. Did we need to have Natalie Zea's lover be the pilot who flies in? Really? Why do we need to have the heroin story in the first place. Unlike something like Lost, where from the opening episode it was CLEAR that the show was going to be about relationships, in this case, the story is all over the place. I'll stick with it for awhile longer, but yeah, it's starting to lose me. NBC has been touting the show as the best rated new drama, but I wonder what the ratings are like a few episodes in?

· All About Footwork
29,906 Posts

Wait a minute...you didn't think the fact that the plane landed without a pilot is dumb? all that black smoke was the engine burning itself out (and not the rest of the airplane)?

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
Right?? Not only does she not use the stick, she actively throws it away. Even if you are confident that the river won't get deeper (why?) of course you'd still keep the stick to look for submerged rocks and just to keep your balance!

I guess on the farm where she grew up they didn't have any rivers or creeks.

Even stupider is that it turns out it doesn't even have any purpose in the plot! It would be dumb if they had her toss it away to make something else work better, but it's even sillier to do it for no reason.

I know it's a little thing. But sometimes little things bug me more than big things. It just screams sloppiness and carelessness.

· Registered
5,258 Posts
Right?? Not only does she not use the stick, she actively throws it away. Even if you are confident that the river won't get deeper (why?) of course you'd still keep the stick to look for submerged rocks and just to keep your balance!

I guess on the farm where she grew up they didn't have any rivers or creeks.

Even stupider is that it turns out it doesn't even have any purpose in the plot! It would be dumb if they had her toss it away to make something else work better, but it's even sillier to do it for no reason.

I know it's a little thing. But sometimes little things bug me more than big things. It just screams sloppiness and carelessness.
That's not really a little thing. As you said, it's sloppy writing and directing.

…and a 2nd Saber Tooth Tiger killed and left behind.
Are they all Vegans? :)

· All About Footwork
29,906 Posts
That's not really a little thing. As you said, it's sloppy writing and directing.

…and a 2nd Saber Tooth Tiger killed and left behind.
Are they all Vegans? :)
To be fair, the pilot had all the MREs

But at least we're uncovering the mystery of why that species is extinct!

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Wait a minute...you didn't think the fact that the plane landed without a pilot is dumb? all that black smoke was the engine burning itself out (and not the rest of the airplane)?
It's clear I'm going to have to start taking Dumb Notes during each episode. :rolleyes:

· Out of Pocket
16,555 Posts
The big python thing was really stupid, too. It had the lady all wrapped up in a death squeeze and then Natalie's boyfriend dove in and I guess killed the snake with his gun. How did he not hit the woman with a bullet, too?

I see comparisons to Lost here, but to me there is no comparison. Lost was incredibly interesting and compelling. This show is incredibly stupid and ridiculous.

· All About Footwork
29,906 Posts
It's clear I'm going to have to start taking Dumb Notes during each episode. :rolleyes:
I see the rolleyes...I hope you were not upset, I wasn't attacking you...I was just adding to your list with a little snicker about the most outrageous dumb thing in that episode :)

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
Since the shooting of the snake happened off-screen we can imagine it happened in some not-dumb way: for example maybe he had the head of the snake away from Riley and shot it in the head. In the end I guess if he had hit her she'd just be dead, in a different way. So...

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I see the rolleyes...I hope you were not upset, I wasn't attacking you...I was just adding to your list with a little snicker about the most outrageous dumb thing in that episode :)
No, the opposite. There is so much dumbness, a bounty of brainlessness, that I need to take notes, so I don't forget them for next week's post.

Keep pointing them out!

· I am Groot!
58,994 Posts
And there seems to be too much backstory history with the people in the hole too. Did we need to have Natalie Zea's lover be the pilot who flies in? Really?
Well, to be fair, they did go to some lengths to explain that one...he was on the list of potential candidates, and they picked him to make Vision-Dad happy.

But yeah, there is a whole lot of stupid going on. Oddly enough, though, I keep watching (e.g., Under the Dome and...what was the show about the anti-social genius with the consulting company who had crazy/stupid adventures?... were in the same league of stupid, but I found them unwatchable).

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
It's driving me crazy, I can't remember the title. There was a scene where he was in a jeep, hacking into an airplane via Ethernet as it was taking off, or something like that...
I think you mean Scorpion.

I never watched past the first episode, nor could I watch Under the Dumb, but like you still watching LaBrea. Weird. Maybe the Natalie Zea effect.

81 - 100 of 347 Posts