TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 347 Posts

· Mr. Rolleyes
6,013 Posts
I find this show very fun to watch, but only because I don't take it seriously. I think that they are being a little more subtle about it then things like Sharknado or BrainDead, but I think it is at its heart a scifi dramady.

As I watched the first episode, I said to my wife, the father's delivery and look reminds me of Robert Hays acting in Airplane!. The characters are similar, both pilots, both had a traumatic accident that left them unable to fly, both are then being thrust into a crisis situation, i'm guessing they both have drinking problems, etc.

And then did you catch what the ship they are going to take down through the crack is named??

That's right Striker.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,555 Posts
I find this show very fun to watch, but only because I don't take it seriously. I think that they are being a little more subtle about it then things like Sharknado or BrainDead, but I think it is at its heart a scifi dramady.

As I watched the first episode, I said to my wife, the father's delivery and look reminds me of Robert Hays acting in Airplane!. The characters are similar, both pilots, both had a traumatic accident that left them unable to fly, both are then being thrust into a crisis situation, i'm guessing they both have drinking problems, etc.

And then did you catch what the ship they are going to take down through the crack is named??

That's right Striker.
I didn't notice any type of comedy vibe to this show. Now is it unintentionally funny? Definitely. I compare it more to Under the Dome than something like Sharknado, or even The Orville, which definitely have planned comedy. I watch this show not because the plot and acting is any good, but to make fun of the poor acting and horrible looking low budget CGI. For me this is MST3K type viewing.

· Un-mutual
116 Posts
I'm keeping up with the boxes that are getting checked off:

Bad, or at least shady, cop? Check
Interracial / gay couple? Check / check
Religious person portrayed as fanatic? Check (nothing in the Bible that I'm aware of requires burial)
Heavy handed government agents? Check

I'm still waiting for an orphan waif that sings, and a hooker with a heart of gold.

But I'm watching it anyhow, because the alternatives on network television are so few.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
I don't think it's "religious person portrayed as fanatic". I think it's closer to being played as a cult. There are a lot of religious communities that require a lot of things that have no actual basis in the Bible. And, there are strict burial rules in other religions besides Christianity (although she was creating a cross for the grave).

The husband's acting didn't bother me quite so much in the second episode, as it did in the first.

Nevertheless the only things keeping me watching are (a) not much else on, and (b) Natalie Zea.

· Now with more GB
Record Them If You Got Them, And You Got Them So Record Them
3,474 Posts
It may not go that long. The premiere got good ratings, but watch them fall off for the 2nd episode.
In the past, I may have agreed with you, but there's a new gimmick being tried by some producers that makes me think they'll try as hard as they can to air the entire season. If they haven't finished filming all ten episodes yet, they can rewrite the last episode so it wraps everything up rather than ending on some cliffhanger, and even if they have, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some "alternate ending" in case they realize it's not going to be picked up. This way, the series has "a complete, non-recurring story," which means that the show could be entered in the Emmys in limited series categories rather than drama series ones.

Then again, there are Plans B and C:
Plan B - burn the remaining episodes off on Peacock. Yes, shows on Peacock are eligible for Emmys; Girls5eva and The Amber Ruffin Show both got nominations in 2021.
Plan C - burn the remaining episodes off on Friday nights at 8, which is when The Blacklist was supposed to air before being moved to Thursdays to fill the hole caused by Law & Order: For the Defense being dropped from the schedule.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,634 Posts
If they haven't finished filming all ten episodes yet, they can rewrite the last episode so it wraps everything up rather than ending on some cliffhanger, and even if they have, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some "alternate ending" in case they realize it's not going to be picked up.
It would surprise me if most productions DIDN'T do this. It would make total sense in today's atmosphere.

· Un-mutual
116 Posts
It seems silly to complain about a science thing, and of course I could be wrong, but I'm going to complain anyhow since I have such a knack for it: Doesn't carbon dating only work on organic material? An engagement ring doesn't really fall into that category.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

· Registered
3,990 Posts
It seems silly to complain about a science thing, and of course I could be wrong, but I'm going to complain anyhow since I have such a knack for it: Doesn't carbon dating only work on organic material? An engagement ring doesn't really fall into that category.
astrohip has already given you the best answer, but (to natter on further) carbon dating works on carbon which has been isolated from exchange with the environment. Organic material is a subset of the things which contain carbon. Carbon dating has been used to date charcoal found in archeological sites, for an example of the dating of non-organic material.

As was previously pointed out, a diamond ring would contain no remaining carbon 14, so the result of carbon dating would only be that it's older than 50,000 years.

41 - 60 of 347 Posts