TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 41 Posts

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
The part that cracks me up is that they already sent an unmanned drone through the crack and it ended disastrously so then they decided to send a live person in a larger aircraft through the crack. Clearly, anything with modern technology does not survive the journey through the crack so these geniuses decide to send an aircraft through it. Why not send a hot air balloon that is completely passive into the rift and see how that goes?
Well, all they knew with the drone was that they lost contact, right? And now they know that people survive going through, so sending a manned craft doesn't seem unreasonable...

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
That's something I didn't notice until you brought it up - people and cars made it through, but what happened to all of the buildings in the sinkhole area? It can't be that the sinkhole only covers one intersection; how could they get a jet plane through it if it was that small?
There seem to be some building ruins in their camp...

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
Another stupid thing I just thought about, They're being chased by a bear and they duck into a nearby cave, I guess they never considered the possibility that the cave could be the bear's home, or that there could be other bears in there. Lucky for them that it was empty. Well except the Hiker from the Mojave.
Well, the opening was nowhere near big enough for the bear. I did wonder how he managed to see that tiny opening way up a hillside as they were running past away from a huge bear, though.

And it was pretty laughable that the bear was able to block the entry so thoroughly that they couldn't clear it...

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
True, but for all they knew there was a larger opening somewhere else that the bear could fit in., plus there could have been saber-tooths or wolves in there.
But going in the tiny opening solved the immediate problem, without which they would have been dead. Once inside, not being dead, they could deal with any other problems that might or might not come up. ;)

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
And there seems to be too much backstory history with the people in the hole too. Did we need to have Natalie Zea's lover be the pilot who flies in? Really?
Well, to be fair, they did go to some lengths to explain that one...he was on the list of potential candidates, and they picked him to make Vision-Dad happy.

But yeah, there is a whole lot of stupid going on. Oddly enough, though, I keep watching (e.g., Under the Dome and...what was the show about the anti-social genius with the consulting company who had crazy/stupid adventures?... were in the same league of stupid, but I found them unwatchable).

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
OMG how low is the bar that this is the best one?!
Not "best." Best-rated." Important distinction! ;)
Does the "dealer" really think that he'll be rescued and be able to smuggle the drugs back with him?
Maybe he thinks they're stuck there forever, and wants to be the New World's biggest and most powerful drug dealer! ;)

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
I can only assume that the guy stole the heroin from some big drug kingpin so he's worried that he'll be killed when he gets back if he doesn't return it. I would think that would be the least of my worries unless whoever is after him somehow discovers how to time travel. Maybe he was planning to sell it to the indigenous people for a few sabertooth skins or something.
When he threatened to kill the stoner, it was something like "if we get back." So I suspect he's not too concerned about the heroin in the past, but in case they find their way home.

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
There was a problem with the ship which made it crash. They got a message about it. They found the problem and fixed it. The past has already changed. Why is this difficult to communicate?
If everybody acts like even moderately rational human beings, there just isn't enough drama. Gota have dem 'splosions!

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
I stand corrected - they have played the "anything that happens in the past is reflected exactly X amount of time later, in the present" card. The plane crashed? It suddenly appeared out of nowhere. The plane never took off? The crash disappeared. Okay, then, I'll ask; where are the remains of the now-uncrashed plane - or the earlier plane, or the drone, for that matter?
Although it actually makes some kind of sense, in that the two periods were directly connected by the rift. So in a sense, they are happening at the same time. Now that the rift is gone, the linkage is broken and that effect should no longer occur.

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
If they were flying in helicopter, why not just keep flying that instead of diverting off to just get into another plane? Besides if they flew in the copter into the hole, the military guy would be less warry of them, (maybe thinking it was just another news copter or something). A drone can fly in without any attention, so why not a 'news' copter?
The plane was specially designed to survive the passage (remember, everything else they've sent through has crashed).

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
Er, unless you know the exact date and time, and your longitude, the only way you can "navigate by the stars" is by finding the North Star and working from there - and The Version I Heard Was, the North Star was different 10,000 years ago than it is now.

Besides - didn't they have to get there and then back to La Brea before it got dark, since they thought the fissure would close sometime that night?
Well, you can navigate by the daytime stars. :D

(Seriously, though, you know where you are and where you're going. The Sun will tell you which direction to go.)

1 - 18 of 41 Posts