TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Finally caught up with this show. And it's another exercise in frustration with stupid character decisions running rampant, stupid setups for said characters, and too much melodrama.

But like a slow motion train wreck I can't stop watching it.

I'm stymied as to why when 1st confronted by the Saber-tooth cat, the decided to run. Why not just open the steel doors of the ambulance next to you, climb in and close the doors? Unless the cat has opposable thumbs or is otherwise familiar with opening doors, they'd be perfectly safe.

Of course Eve was banging her husband's best friend when the car crash that takes her daughter's leg occurs.

So much lazy trope filled writing here.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Another stupid thing I just thought about, They're being chased by a bear and they duck into a nearby cave, I guess they never considered the possibility that the cave could be the bear's home, or that there could be other bears in there. Lucky for them that it was empty. Well except the Hiker from the Mojave.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well, the opening was nowhere near big enough for the bear. I did wonder how he managed to see that tiny opening way up a hillside as they were running past away from a huge bear, though.

And it was pretty laughable that the bear was able to block the entry so thoroughly that they couldn't clear it...
True, but for all they knew there was a larger opening somewhere else that the bear could fit in., plus there could have been saber-tooths or wolves in there.

I agree, none of the rocks looked that set in where they couldn't get some out of the way to squeeze through.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I keep looking at what appears to be the Petersen Auto Museum behind them (red stripes). They must have some food and clothes. Who knows what else.
I agree, even if it's only a portion of the museum, it should provide shelter of some sort.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Okay, so they dug up the bottle with the letter in it. Did anybody bother to check the skulls they dug up to see who died "ten thousand years ago"? It shouldn't be that hard to match against current dental records - and anybody who can keep the dig a secret is more than capable of obtaining the records without much suspicion as well.
Thinking about this, they probably don't know who all's actually down there. Sure there's a few like Izzy who were separated at the hole, but overall how would they know? Take for example Riley and Sam, how would those on the surface know they fell into the hole unless there's someone on the surface who's missing them.

One thing I noticed is that when they went to dig site all the people walking on the sidewalk at night as if there wasn't a gigantic hole in the middle of the street right next to them. While that's a very L.A. thing to be doing, there's not a lot of restaurants or things at Wilshire and Fairfax aside from the great Tom Bergin's and the Streetlight exhibit at the L.A. Museum of Art not much open there at night.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If everybody acts like even moderately rational human beings, there just isn't enough drama. Gota have dem 'splosions!
Hell, we didn't go through a giant sinkhole to 10,000 years in the past and we still can't get people to act moderately rational to each other these days. to me this is the most believable aspect of the show. There's a limited about of things down there that can boom. They should save them 'splosions up.

1. Gavin sent an iPad instead of written notes, when everything that goes through crashes.
  2. Just an iPad. Why isn't anyone sending food or guns or survival equipment?
  3. Then again, food and water hasn't been a topic since the giant sloth ate everything. In a stranded-in-the-wilderness scenario, food and water would be most of your day.
  4. How much weed did that guy bring? How long can a vape battery last?
  5. If Gavin wants to risk flying down, why is that government guy so against that it would be worth shooting down a plane over LA? Press conference: "We shot him down and caused major damage to the city and killing 5 people because he was going to fly into a big hole."
  6. Air Force woman hadn't used up her bullets in 3+ years?
  1. Most of the people wouldn't beleive it unless they saw it?
  2. Good question. I'm guessing that they don't want to risk sending anything down that might cause another quake.
  3. Water isn't too much of an issue since they're near the L.A. River. Food? We see them eating MREs, but how long could those last? They need to do some hunting and fishing.
  4. Really. this makes no sense either. At least they show phones dieing. I wonder how many people had the sense to put theirs's into airplane mode to save battery.
  5. Plane goes in the hole LA gets another quake. Govt. wants to avoid quakes (of course with the quakes L.A. gets normally who can tell one from the other?).
  6. Same issue with the vape pen.
Why haven't we seen anyone getting sick from the various pathogens that were alive back then that we have no immunity for or stomach issues from the water?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Er, unless you know the exact date and time, and your longitude, the only way you can "navigate by the stars" is by finding the North Star and working from there - and The Version I Heard Was, the North Star was different 10,000 years ago than it is now.

Besides - didn't they have to get there and then back to La Brea before it got dark, since they thought the fissure would close sometime that night?
Back around 10,000 BCE Polaris was not the North Star. It would've been either Vega (which was more NNW than true North) or Eltanin in Draco which is a a little dimmer than Polaris but is better placed for North than Vega. Some astronomers say it would've been Thuban (also in Draco) but looking at some planetarium programs I tend to stick with Eltanin or Vega.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Polaris wouldn't have been the north star, but it certainly would have been close enough to get to Santa Monica. Or just follow the LA river (it went through Ballona creek back then, which vape guy at least would know) until you hit the beach, then go north until you hit the Santa Monica mountains. But either way, that trip breaking trail all the way would take days, not hours.

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the unnaturally light gold. Gold is twice as dense as lead; that much bullion would be so heavy that ten men would have trouble carrying it.
Yeah, but that's a trope in all TV and movies representations of gold. In goldfinger when Bond is trying to open the bomb case by hitting the lock with a gold bar I had to laugh since a single gold bar (ingot) is about 33lbs. There was no way in hell he'd be able to this one handed.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Wow a trope avoided... I thought they'd follow the usual mode and have Rebecca die before she could pass on the information. At least these people are talking to each other.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In that case, since it has been established that changes in the past immediately change their future ("we found a plane crash...oh, wait, it just vanished"), if young Gavin dies, then both "present" Gavin and "Grandfather Gavin" just disappear, right?
So it's Gavins all the way down? Huh... Who'd a thunk it?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well, that was interesting. Season finale next week.

Someone upthread figured Lilly as the little girl that was found with Gavin/Isaiah in '88. If I was down there knowing what was upcoming in the next 30+ years I'd make money in the stock market and via betting on sports and stuff then leave a chunk of it for my younger self (I was 25 in 1988) along with some notes of what not to do with my/our future over the next few years and see what happens. Ought to make an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I mention "please," please have 6 be something other than:
6. In 2011, effectively-33-year-old Ella gives birth to Lily. (Besides, Futurama already kinda sorta did it with Fry being his own grandfather.)
I think Heinline has this one covered in story "All you Zombies", recently made into the movie Predestination.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
There's a lot to unpack about the finale. So if I got it figured out right, Gavin, Izzy, and Ella/Lilly are now in prehistoric Seattle presumably in the same time as the La Brea sinkhole crew. Isaiah/Gavin isin 1988 near Topanga, and who the hell knows where Riley, Josh, Lilly/Ella have gone off to I'd have to say 1988 since that's where Lilly was found and we haven't had any reason to think that the wormhole(s) deposit different people in different time frames.

Not to mention that Aldridge says they're responsible for the sinkholes/time travel and leads Scott to this modern solar powered building.

At least we get some answers and I expect S2 will follow 1988 and 10,000 bce and leave 2021 behind as there's no one there we need to follow.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
And forget the harness, the cow has a serial number. ;)
How did the cow get down there without breaking it's legs? did uit just wander into one of those lights that was like the one on the hill?

...although we may see what the 1988 crew was up to leading up to 2021 (could Josh and Riley have had anything to do with the origin of the sinkholes?).

We also need to find out who Grandpa was in the modern era, before he went to the distant past. And who Isaiah's parents were?
We know that Silas (Isaiah's grandpa) was one of the scientists working on the time travel/sinkhole project. How Isaiah/gavin wound up in the past and who his parents are is something I think we'll find out next season. Here's a fun though icky thought, Josh and Riley are Isaiah's parents. Silas is future Gavin. Everything is a closed circle.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sooo, just scrap the whole damn thing and start over? Sounds good to moi, but I barely made it through the first ep, so what do I know. This thread has been far more entertaining than that ep was. I love threads where everybody hates the show but keeps watching anyway.
Rage watching.... Kind of like Rage F***ing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts