TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

· Well-Known Raconteur
19,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"An epic adventure begins when a massive sinkhole opens in the middle of Los Angeles, pulling hundreds of people and buildings into its depths. Within the sinkhole appears to be a rift in time and/or space. Those who fell in find themselves in a mysterious and dangerous primeval land, where they have no choice but to band together to survive. The show follows one family, broken up by the events, trying to get back together."

Season thread for La Brea, new series on NBC.

· Is there an answer?
286 Posts
It was trying very hard to start like Lost. It may end up more like the 2011 show Terra Nova. Which didn’t last very long.

Ah well…at least NBC is trying new Sci-Fi.

It had some interesting ideas. Coming back seemingly 20000 years or so gives us interesting megafauna and primitive (maybe) humans. And the stable ‘time rift’ gives us the link back home. And the rescue missions shown in the trailer.

So I’ll keep watching for at least a few more episodes.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
It was trying very hard to start like Lost. It may end up more like the 2011 show Terra Nova. Which didn't last very long.

Ah well…at least NBC is trying new Sci-Fi.

It had some interesting ideas. Coming back seemingly 20000 years or so gives us interesting megafauna and primitive (maybe) humans. And the stable 'time rift' gives us the link back home. And the rescue missions shown in the trailer.

So I'll keep watching for at least a few more episodes.
We will probably give it a try, but the reviews have been absolutely horrible, almost unanimously so....

· With an "L"
4,144 Posts
Definitely something we've seen done before, but it wasn't bad. In our house, we have no Tuesday night shows at all right now, so we'll stick with it for a bit.

Always enjoy having Natalie Zea on my screen.

PS - and my wife and I just visited the tar pits last month on vacation, so it was fun comparing the overhead shots to google images and seeing everything we'd visited in the area that was gone :)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,452 Posts
I haven't watched yet as baseball has really cut into my viewing time right now, but this is one of the few I was looking forward to, but as I said in another thread, this is likely to be like many similar shows, start out good and wind up being silly and stupid with the writers having to figure out how to write enough material to fill a whole season (or seasons) if it lasts that long. But hey, I'm a sucker for these types of shows for no other reason that it's different than the dozens of cop, law, and medical shows, not to mention reality stuff too.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
To me, that is a positive thing! Virtually everything the critics like, I don't. :)
I normally agree with that completely- but just go take a look at some of the reviews- some of the most brutal I've ever seen- lol

It is 0% on RT- albeit not a ton of reviews. And all of the user ratings are 1 star. And it's 5.2 on IMDB-

So it's not just the critics who are panning it- But that definitely will not stop me from at least trying it out- in fact it makes me want to try it even more- lol

· Registered
2,621 Posts
So it's kinda like Lost, but instead of a plane crash, it's a sink hole, and instead of an island, it's, er, prehistoric times? Say what you will about Lost (I bailed after three seasons), at least the individual episodes were well-written and interesting and the acting was excellent. Here the writing sucks and most of the acting also sucks.

Not that any of that matters. It'll be cancelled soon enough.

· Save the Moderatоr
34,617 Posts
High hopes. Dashed.

And not that I expected the budget to be there to do so, it was rather disappointing we saw very little in the way of the debris from the taller skyscrapers we saw fall from up top. Some cars, that building wrapped in the winding strap/.exterior, an ambulance, a bus... full focus on what was on the street rather than the surrounding land for the most part. I'll allow they'll find some way to explain people not being smeared splats on the ground, though expect they'll be inconsistent with people who were inside other things.

It'd be more fun if the secret government project accidentally did this under a certain private resort area in the Palm Beaches, and as we were shown its collapse into a sinkhole, it cut to the operator of the secret government project with a snarky look on his face saying "oops" to himself, THEN we cut to it happening in LA, too, unexpectedly. :)

· Random Nobody
7,482 Posts
Some cars, that building wrapped in the winding strap/.exterior,
Petersen Automotive Museum

Across the street from the Petersen is LACMA and the AMPAS Museum. All 3 are about 4 short-blocks west of the Tar Pits park/museum. (Well, LACMA shares a boundary with the Tar Pits park)

And stuck to all the light poles at that intersection are the little lapel stickers all 3 museums use to indicate a visitor has paid admission because the first thing a lot of folks do when they leave is rip it off their lapels/shirts and stick them to the first thing they see.

--Carlos "The the tar tar pits" V.

(edit: To explain the "nickname", "La Brea" is Spanish for "The Tar". So "The La Brea Tar Pits" expands to "The 'The Tar' Tar Pits")

· Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder
40,675 Posts
I channel surfed for about 90 seconds last night, and noticed this show was on. Wondered if it was about the tar pit. Tuned in for like 5 seconds. It was going to commercial break, and all I really saw was this huge hole in the middle of a city. Wondered what the heck was going on.

I see it is on Peacock. I think I'll give the first episode a watch, even though people in here say reviews are bad.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
15,740 Posts
"Are we in an episode of Lost?"

This show is what happens when you put every sci-fi show NBC, ABC, and CBS has thrown against the wall since Lost to see if it would stick into one badly written hour.

"Your plan crashed because you claimed to have visions."

Now let's proceed to remake the opening sequence to Lost...

"How do you know this?"
"It doesn't matter."

Is the pandemic over yet?

· Registered
671 Posts
i might save this for next week when i have two episodes before making a ruling. I really don't want another LOST. (I loved LOST but think that kind of obsessive viewing will never be seen again.) I did like Terra Nova, but it was light family fun. I am prepared for this one to turn too dark too quickly.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,846 Posts
That was terrible, but I can watch Natalie Zea all day. I'll give it at least one more episode.

Reactions: super dave
1 - 20 of 347 Posts