TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MacTiVo
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has checked out the Konfabulator Widgets that Martin Elliott (from the OzTiVo site) has developed?

I think widgets in general are pretty cool. Martin's produced a TiVo ToDo list (which works great) and a TiVo Now Playing list (which doesn't - maybe because my TiVoWeb says "Now Showing"?). The addition of a TiVo man logo would make these look even better, although I guess it's subject to copyright etc.

These are pretty cool since you can just have them lying around your desktop rather than bringing up TiVoWeb in your web browser.
 

·
TiVo 601F 120Gb
Joined
·
81 Posts
I'm the other way round...todo doesn't work...and now playing does.

These show potential....but one for conflicts would be brilliant!

Time for an email I think ;-)
 

·
A Happy Member
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
Have just installed it, my now playing has something like 3rd & nbst overwriting everything on the left hand side. But looks good.

I had the otherway round, but when I closed the working window, the one that was not working started to list. Maybe tivoweb can only "serve" one at once??
 

·
MacTiVo
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And don't forget to try TiVoTherm2 - which shows you the current temperature of your TiVo box (useful) by pointing to the "info" page of TiVoWeb, and lets you right-click to launch TiVoWeb. The TiVo guy logo looks fab!

And TiVo Remote Control which unfortunately doesn't look like the real TiVo remote control, but is a great toy.

Have fun!
 

·
MacTiVo
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Screen dump of the Konfabulator screen with the TiVo Remote Control, TiVo ToDo and TiVo Therm2 widgets on display.

Also shows some of the standard widgets like the analogue clock (top right), Wifi signal strength (bottom left) and weather (bottom right). I've also got the Train Departure Board and the BBC News RSS widgets running.

You can put the widgets anywhere on the screen and change their behaviour - i.e. how transparent they are, on top, underneath, floating etc.

Basically, they are just JavaScript modules with an XML descriptor file to define the name and menu properties etc. Looks "fairly" simple, so I'll maybe have a go at producing some more TiVoWeb widgets - but I'll need to brush up on my regular expressions!
 

Attachments

·
Yo Ho TiVo!
Joined
·
644 Posts
These look cool :) Could I run them remotely to save opening up TiVoWeb at work or have I completely missed the point?

(always remember to make allowances for h/w engineers :D)
 

·
MacTiVo
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carl,

All the widgets do is scrape information from the TiVoWeb HTML pages, so if you can access TiVoWeb from work, you can probably run these little things too.

Basically you just type in the TiVoWeb username, password and IP address of your TiVo box. So although I'm using it on my internal home network, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work from an external PC - provided you had firewall access to TiVoWeb anyway.

Let me know how it goes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
I'm also impressed that you can pass port numbers to these Widgets as well (I use a "random" port number as pseudo-security)

Aren't they fascinating?
 

·
A Happy Member
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
I have been using the remote today, really slow at responding though and you can't add the user or password into this module, so you get the windows security box pop up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
Also, in the Konfabulator forum is a fix for truncated widgets (I get half a widget sometimes). It seems that it will be fixed in the next maintenance release, but there's a manual fix (quoting):

1. close the widget that has the problem
2. go to regedit
3. find the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pixoria\Konfabulator\Widgets\<NAME OF WIDGET>
4. delete the folder "Windows"
5. restart widget

Hope this helps someone (it helped me!)

Phil G
 

·
MacTiVo
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6022tivo said:
I have been using the remote today, really slow at responding though and you can't add the user or password into this module, so you get the windows security box pop up.
Sounds like a Request for Change! Looking at the code for ToDo and NowShowing it looks really simple to deal with the username/password issue - just a case of http://username:[email protected].

The slowness may be attributed to the widget having to parse the HTML from TiVoWeb every time you press a button. Not sure as this widget has been properly "packaged" and you therefore can't view the JavaScript code for it.
 

·
Yo Ho TiVo!
Joined
·
644 Posts
I can't seem to get this widget thingy going remote :( I can navigate to my TiVoWeb as usual https://mydomain.dyndns.org:xyz/tivo/ and then accepting the certificate and logging in using MyUserName and MyPassword as normal. I grabbed the IP of my remote PC by looking up https://mydomain.dyndns.org:at dyndns.org and entered that into the ToDo Widget preferences but no luck it just does nothing (very slowly)
 

·
MacTiVo
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carl - the Widget just uses HTTP to get the TiVoWeb page data. I guess the fatal flaw with trying to use it remotely is that if (like me) you're using Orenosp or some other secure proxy, then the Widget will be trying to get from an HTTP URL instead of the HTTPS URL. Effectively you're getting a 404 error after timeout.

The ToDo and NowShowing Widgets come with the JavaScript code, so you could try meddling with it to see if it can do a HTTPS get instead of an HTTP one. I'm away from home right now, so can't check it out.
 

·
Yo Ho TiVo!
Joined
·
644 Posts
tartan_haggis said:
Carl - the Widget just uses HTTP to get the TiVoWeb page data. I guess the fatal flaw with trying to use it remotely is that if (like me) you're using Orenosp or some other secure proxy, then the Widget will be trying to get from an HTTP URL instead of the HTTPS URL. Effectively you're getting a 404 error after timeout.

The ToDo and NowShowing Widgets come with the JavaScript code, so you could try meddling with it to see if it can do a HTTPS get instead of an HTTP one. I'm away from home right now, so can't check it out.
Yes I'm using Orenosp so that's probably the problem. I'll see if I can have a hack at some code (famous last words :))
 

·
TiVo Connoisseur
Joined
·
105 Posts
tartan_haggis said:
And don't forget to try TiVoTherm2 - which shows you the current temperature of your TiVo box (useful) by pointing to the "info" page of TiVoWeb, and lets you right-click to launch TiVoWeb. The TiVo guy logo looks fab!

And TiVo Remote Control which unfortunately doesn't look like the real TiVo remote control, but is a great toy.

Have fun!
I'm the author of TiVoTherm2 (well, re-author) and I have an update pending in the gallery. The big fix is adding a "scale" to the bulb and making sure switching between C & F keep the fluid at the appropriate level. TivoTherm2 does include a very simple module that makes the updates much faster, but it can use the info page for that information.

The link above goes straight to the download, but this link will open the actual TiVoTherm2 information page.

I also wrote the TiVo Control, remote control widget. And have been improving and making some adjustments. I hope to have an updated version posted in the next couple of weeks. The link above goes straigth to the download, but this link will open the actual information page for the TiVo Control widget.

The looks of the TiVo Control widget are rather plain, but you can change the colors in the preferences.


75% of actual size.

I'm willing to take suggestions on either of these two widgets and look forward to seeing other widgets with Tivo in mind.

I have added a widgets section to my website, which now includes some useful information regarding the two TiVo widgets I have.

I'm glad to see other people using my stuff!

Chuck Floyd
 

·
Pickled All Day Long
Joined
·
473 Posts
tartan_haggis said:
Not sure as this widget has been properly "packaged" and you therefore can't view the JavaScript code for it.
The .widget files seem to be actually zip archives. If you rename the .widget file into a .zip file, you can then access all the files within it - including the javascript.

On an upsetting note, I cannot get either of the todo or nowshowing widgets to work at all. They just sit there and seem to fail in loading up the page for scraping. I put in some debugging code into the javascript, and found that the pages being returned as effectively blank. Could this be a Windows XP SP 2 issue?

The TiVoTherm module works great though,

cheers

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
tivo-onion said:
On an upsetting note, I cannot get either of the todo or nowshowing widgets to work at all. They just sit there and seem to fail in loading up the page for scraping. I put in some debugging code into the javascript, and found that the pages being returned as effectively blank. Could this be a Windows XP SP 2 issue?

Chris
I’ am having exactly the same problem, but my PC runs XP SP1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Im running XP sp2, and it work fine, although Ive limited the list to 12 Items, and that opens the list a lot quicker. using a 300 sec refresh.

Dont know if it means anything, but I AM using a username and PW.

These are great widges, but would really like to see a conflicts list (as mentioned above) thats my only gripe is to have more control over what will and wont record when you have conflicting SP's.

cheers ddub
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top