TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
real ultimate power
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit of a pack rat, in my case, I have a strong tendancy to keep around boxes for things. I recently bought a new digital camera, and found that I had no space in my closet for the box. That was it, the end of the line, some of the boxes had to go.

I made enough space by tossing some old PC video game boxes, we're talking relics, like Tomb Raider and Mechwarrior 3. So I made enough space for my new camera box.

Anyway, I eventually came across my SA Tivo box, in near pristine condition. When the new High Def Cablecard tivo comes out, I may consider selling my old standalone.

So, this all brought me to the following question. Should I keep the box, or toss it? IE, would people who are looking to buy a used Tivo be willing to pay extra if it had the box along with it? Would me still having the box give you the feeling that my tivo has been well cared for (it has)?

·
Registered
36,162 Posts
Having the original box should make it easier to ship if you sell it on Ebay later.

I keep too many boxes too. Can you put some of the smaller boxes inside the larger boxes?

This would free up room and allow you to keep the Tivo boxes.

I finally threw out the boxes my Dell Laptop and Flat panel came in.

·
real ultimate power
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shuffled some stuff around, was able to keep the tivo box, the xbox box and the PS2 box. Also kept the box for my laptop :p

But yeah, what I did toss out, were boxes that had no business still being around, like the box for my cable modem (4 years old), box for my cell phone. I also took all of my shoeboxes off the shelf in my closet and put them under my bed (these boxes, actually have shoes in them, but they're dress shoes so aren't worn on a daily basis).

·
Photo Man
243 Posts
If there is any possibility that you will sell it........keep the box. In addition to being easier to ship, as mentioned, I think it would make it easier to sell. Maybe even at a higher price.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1. Mechwarrior 3 isn't a relic. Battletech is a relic.
2. I am so jealous of your storage space. When my wife and I moved in together in Nov, we had to get rid of things, much less boxes. Alas.
3. Boxes help for return shipping, no doubt. I generally keep a product box for 2-3 months. They normally crap out by then if they're going to crap out.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
I'd find it hard to believe you'll get a higher price for it just because you have the original box. It's nice when you buy something used and the seller has the original box, but I'd never pay more for something just because it's in the original box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.