TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tivo keeps missing the Presidential debates! I have a Keyword wishlist to automatically record Presidential>News >Debate, but my Tivo keeps missing them!

It's not the Tivo's fault-- sometimes they're listed in the guide as "forums" instead of "debate," sometimes "discussions" and sometimes the word "presidential" is not even listed in the program guide at all (like the last one on CNN, which was listed as "Anderson Cooper 360"). Yikes!

This is making me crazy. What's a person to do? Does anyone have a good suggestion for setting up a better wishlist? Or is there a schedule listed on a calendar online somewhere so I can just set the Tivo to record by date & time?
 

·
Reformed Druid
Joined
·
478 Posts
Maybe your TiVo is simply showing good judgment'
"Anyone that offers themselves for public office automatically disqualifies themselves." and
"Don't vote, it only encourages them."

However separate WLs for the various possible combos might be the only solution or using a couple or very broad WLs(one for debate and one for forum and so on".

Either way you will miss some with ambiguous titles.

Maybe you could create several WLs with the names of the each of the major candidates as a keyword.

No matter what I would not recommend the WLs autorecord rather you should check the WLs every few days for new additions and set the recordings manually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried a couple of variations on the wishlist, since I know there's a debate tonight on MSNBC, and it seems the best solution is to have a couple of different wishlists, as OldDog suggested. Interestingly, "presidential debate" showed nothing at all, while Presidential > News > Politics gave more accurate choices (showed both the MSNBC "Forum" and the upcoming presidential "discussion" on This Week.)

It's interesting to note the avoidance of the word "debate" in the programming guides. Is "debate" now an unpopular word?
 

·
TMBG Fan
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
The problem is many of the channels just aren't listing the Debates specifically, especially CNN. You best option is to do a search online for when Debates will be televised and do a manual recording (with extra padding for post debate discussion).
 

·
Sr Legacy Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
bpurcell said:
The problem is many of the channels just aren't listing the Debates specifically, especially CNN. You best option is to do a search online for when Debates will be televised and do a manual recording (with extra padding for post debate discussion).
Additionally, look for the next debate timing on some of the political blogs and then look at the program guide wording that is being used and then see if using similar wording (or categorization being used) in a wishlist will help.

Unfortunately, your backup is a manual recording...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46,022 Posts
javabird said:
I tried a couple of variations on the wishlist, since I know there's a debate tonight on MSNBC, and it seems the best solution is to have a couple of different wishlists, as OldDog suggested. Interestingly, "presidential debate" showed nothing at all, while Presidential > News > Politics gave more accurate choices (showed both the MSNBC "Forum" and the upcoming presidential "discussion" on This Week.)

It's interesting to note the avoidance of the word "debate" in the programming guides. Is "debate" now an unpopular word?
I don't think what is going on right now are debates. When I think of debates, I think of two people debating with each other, e.g. Lincoln/ Douglas and even, embarrasingly whatever passes for debates when we're down to the two candidates from the major parties.

What we have now are 10-11 people on stage answering questions with 2 minute sound bites. It's not the same thing.

Back on topic, do the candiates names show up in the guide data? Maybe a wishlist for Obama and Clinton or Romney and Giuliani would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,631 Posts
Turtleboy said:
Back on topic, do the candiates names show up in the guide data? Maybe a wishlist for Obama and Clinton or Romney and Giuliani would work.
Only in some of them.

I think you are right about the terminology. They call it a forum or discussion because it has 6-10 candidates on stage. Once it gets down to the top 2-4 candidates, I bet they'll call it a debate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bkdtv said:
Only in some of them.

I think you are right about the terminology. They call it a forum or discussion because it has 6-10 candidates on stage. Once it gets down to the top 2-4 candidates, I bet they'll call it a debate.
yeah, you're probably right. But I still want to record the forums, too. I just noticed there was another one today, which I also missed. I keep finding out about them later when I read the recaps in the news. :(

Seems like this would be a good idea for a Tivo guru guide or something, if someone from Tivo is paying attention to this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Wouldn't "political junkie" be a good use for Guru Guides - one Donkey Guide and one Elephant Guide? TiVo could even ask each campaign to create and update a Guru Guide, much like the long online list of celebrity Guru Guides ("What they're watching." Yawn!). That way, someone with a vested interest could ensure that you get your fill of Obama or Guiliani or whomever.

Guru Guides could be a great resource.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
I think its hopeless. I've tried every combination of keywords I can think of and have not yet ONCE had a wishlist come back with one of the multitude of debates. The good news is that there are so darn many of them its hard to miss most of them just from watching other shows.

But, ya, it would be terrific if there was some way to automate this on Tivo.

If anyone has a link to a website that tracks them all, I'd love to have that link and I'd set up TiVo to record each one.

Perhaps we need a Guru Guide for this. TiVo, you listening? :)

...Dale
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top