TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this just started happening after about two years connected in the fashion described below. I have my main TiVo plugged in to a tp-link kasa smart plug so when there is a problem with the tivo box I don't have to go digging behind my entertainment center to unplug it to reset it. I simply pull up the Kasa app and power down the tivo. I wait about 20-30 secs and power it back up. But lately the tivo keeps rebooting on it's own and it's related to the smart plug because when I remove it the problem goes away. The device remains on as far as I can see. Any one else ever see this problem? I'm guessing it's a power issue. I plugged a lamp into the smart plug and didn't see any issue or flashing lights. So...any ideas?

·
Official Tivo User
398 Posts
Stop using the smart plug. Problem solved. You don't need to unplug it to reset it, you can do a restart from the menu.
100% false. There have been several times unplugging is the only way to wake it up.

Further there has been twice now I could not connect remotely with my app and turning off the smart plug and back on fixed the problem.

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Yep try another TP-Link smart plug. I’ve been using several for years with no such problem. And they’re cheap.

I’ve never used one to control a TiVo or anything more sophisticated than a light, so I guess it’s conceivable the smart plug has momentary millisecond dropouts, or noise, that would only affect something like a TiVo and wouldn’t be noticeable in a light. The TP-Link switches use relay contacts, which would seem to be less likely to introduce such problems.

·
Unregistered User
320 Posts
I use a Wyze smart plug for this very same purpose and never had any issues. I have both my TiVo and Tuning Adaptor plugged into the same smart plug to (rarely) reboot everything in the event of an issue.

It's probably the individual plug going bad. Try another plug of the same brand. If the problem recurs, try a different brand plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.