TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
16,209 Posts
I've heard of health ministries before because they have been advertised excessively on SiriusXM. That John could create his own sounds about right from what I've read about them.

John Oliver's JohnnyCare
I didn't try signing up but it looks like they were serious about sending you 3 band-aids for $1.99. I wonder which intern gets stuck with the packaging and shipping for all those orders that I'm sure will be placed.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,209 Posts
jo reported 16% went to actual coverage, the rest to administrative costs...
I was curious so looked up that case.

https://dfr.oregon.gov/AdminOrders/enf-orders-2021/ins-19-0109-aliera-companies-20210323.pdf

The Agreement provides detail regarding the fees that Aliera charges, depending on the product line. For the AlieraCare & InterimCare products, for example, Aliera receives and retains 65% of the total share contribution paid by each primary member. Out of the remaining 35%, Trinity reimburses Aliera for additional costs and expenses, including: 19.6% for "Aliera management fee general overhead ops labor internal sales," 30% for commissions, 2.6% TPA fees, 1.2% provider network, and 0.8% telemedicine. In total, Aliera is reimbursed 54.2% of the 35% remaining in member contributions, receiving almost 84% of the total member contributions. In other words, out of every $100 a member pays in premiums only $16.03 goes towards paying the medical expenses of members.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,209 Posts
The long segment on the century of federal and local housing prejudices faced by African Americans was excellent. It helped explain why there is such a huge wealth gap between black and white families. Wealth and assets are passed down from one generation to the next. When the forbearers of the current African American generation were denied access to the same benefits as other Americans, there is far less generational wealth to pass down from one generation to the next and that affects the quality of neighborhoods, educational opportunities, healthcare and access to good jobs in a vicious circle. American history is not all apple pie and mom like lots of influential people pretend. There's a lot of really ugly things in American history and it needs to be taught along with the good parts, not hidden. That's the only way we can avoid doing the same bad things.
I've also heard a lot about partition actions, which forces sale of land if a single partial owner wants to sell. This can happen even if the vast majority of the owners wants to keep the land.

ProPublica and The New Yorker had a long piece in 2019 about this.

Their Family Bought Land One Generation After Slavery. The Reels Brothers Spent Eight Years in Jail for Refusing to Leave It.
 
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
Top