TiVo Community Forum banner
601 - 620 of 660 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
What a bizarre ad. Why would the LWT writers think that was a "very good script" for a local car commercial? And I'm not clear on whether the wild tone change when it cut to the guy in the pickle suit was part of the script or if that was the dealer ad libbing.
I have to agree. It needed something in the middle to bridge the couple, to the car dealership, or something - to even pretend to work.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
What a bizarre ad. Why would the LWT writers think that was a "very good script" for a local car commercial? And I'm not clear on whether the wild tone change when it cut to the guy in the pickle suit was part of the script or if that was the dealer ad libbing.
I think that was all part of the point.

And I'd bet the car dealership knew exactly what they were dealing with. Probably saw the show and jumped on.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
I think that was all part of the point.

And I'd bet the car dealership knew exactly what they were dealing with. Probably saw the show and jumped on.
Yeah, I mean it's...John Oliver! What would they expect?

Well, if it were me I would expect something like that. Something very...John Oliver.

According to Oliver in the segment, they got a number of dealerships taking them up on the offer, and had to choose one (possibly because "Zumbrota" was the funniest name?).

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
One thing I've only just noticed is that HBO Max has started dropping the show at 10:00 (Central) even when it airs on the mothership later (like tonight at 10:10, or last week at 10:20). For kicks, tonight I looked for it a couple of minutes before 10 and it wasn't there, but at exactly 10 it was.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,215 Posts
Hard to believe it's the season finale already. John has to be the laziest "late night" host ever: he does one show a week and takes a quarter of the year off. Oh well. We'll still watch next year :).

Maybe Jon Stewart is vying for his crown though since he only does one show every two weeks.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
Hard to believe it's the season finale already. John has to be the laziest "late night" host ever: he does one show a week and takes a quarter of the year off. Oh well. We'll still watch next year :).

Maybe Jon Stewart is vying for his crown though since he only does one show every two weeks.
And half of it is just tape of his production meetings! :D

(OK, maybe not half...)

·
tabasco rules
16,570 Posts
That studio audience must be exhausting for the poor guy...
it is, taping a live show while you're performing is probably one of the most stressful jobs there are, that's why the time is limited, and it pays so well for those who do it right.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
So what exactly does John Oliver do the rest of the time? I mean, he's probably well paid enough that he doesn't NEED to work the rest of the year, but I would think he does just because. He seems to have small roles in TV and movies but there must be more he does during his off time.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
So what exactly does John Oliver do the rest of the time? I mean, he's probably well paid enough that he doesn't NEED to work the rest of the year, but I would think he does just because. He seems to have small roles in TV and movies but there must be more he does during his off time.
Given the nature of the Main Stories he covers, I suspect they work pretty much year-round...

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
He and his staff spend the entire off-season watching local news shows (and Fox & Friends) 24-7, to find segments for: And Now This...

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
Heh...that was hilarious!

I never read the book, mostly because I saw a few interviews with Brown in which he was a pompous git pretending that the core matter of the book was factual (I say "pretending" because I suspect he's like Rush Limbaugh or Steven Colbert...somebody playing a role that deep down inside he doesn't really believe). And in the immortal words of Harlan Ellison, "I'm opposed to anything that keeps people stupid."

In the comments for this video, a number of people defend the "Apple" riddle because it's a very small part of the book (apparently "Apple" is the combination to a puzzle box that leads to another puzzle?) and because if you get the combination wrong the puzzle box will self-destruct. Which would be a valid criticism if the characters spent the pages before the answer is revealed saying "Well, the obvious answer is 'Apple,' but maybe it's actually a trick question? Can we take that chance?" But I get the very strong feeling that no such conversation ever takes place... ;)

A number of other people propose that Oliver should regularly do pop culture reviews of this nature. Now THAT'S a notion I can wholeheartedly endorse!

601 - 620 of 660 Posts