TiVo Community Forum banner
581 - 600 of 660 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,850 Posts
I don't get how John Oliver won this year's Emmy. I thought Trevor Noah's pandemic era Daily Show was a far superior show, especially with four one half hours per week vs one half hour per week.
I agree, though I think Sam Bee's show was great all around as well. But I do think that anything on premium channels or streaming services has a leg up these days. For some reason they are always assumed to be "better" than broadcast or basic cable. One look at the award winners will tell you that.

·
Meh.
40,835 Posts
:thumbsup: to Sam Bee. Her really good show gets lost in the mix of the guys' shows.

And Bill Maher's weekly show is a lot more thought provoking than Oliver's Last Week Tonight.

·
Meh.
40,835 Posts
I personally can't take Bee or (especially) Maher. I watched Bee for a couple of years, but she just wore me down. And Maher I've despised for decades.
I definitely don't always agree with Bill Maher but that doesn't stop me from thinking he's brilliant. I also like the fact that he has an interview guest and a diverse panel on his show instead of it just being him monologue-ing for the entire show like Oliver.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,850 Posts
I personally can't take Bee or (especially) Maher. I watched Bee for a couple of years, but she just wore me down. And Maher I've despised for decades.
I definitely don't always agree with Bill Maher but that doesn't stop me from thinking he's brilliant. I also like the fact that he has an interview guest and a diverse panel on his show instead of it just being him monologue-ing for the entire show like Oliver.
I like people who challenge my way of thinking, but also tend to be on "my side" on most issues. Sam Bee's show usually focuses on women's issues, which is something I don't always think about, so for me it's interesting to get that perspective. Maher, I also think he sometimes makes me think about things differently and there are some things I agree with and some that I don't. I like that he's POV are often different than mine, though we come from the same side of the issues more often than not.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
I don’t like Bee’s delivery, always condescending.
Never liked Maher. On a recent show he says that he got the vaccine “for the team”, even though it’s not needed for the young and healthy (he’s 65)

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,850 Posts
I don't like Bee's delivery, always condescending.
Never liked Maher. On a recent show he says that he got the vaccine "for the team", even though it's not needed for the young and healthy (he's 65)
Yeah, was going to bring that up, thought it might be too political. At least he took it.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,003 Posts
I've seen every episode of Full Frontal (except the most recent two), but it's definitely not nearly as high on my priority list as it used to be. When the show started, it was much more about comedy. Now it's much more about activism with the occasional joke thrown in. Also, I sometimes wonder if the interview subjects, who are on the show talking about serious issues, get annoyed at Sam (or the other correspondents) for making silly jokes just so the interview fits in with the "comedy" show, but yet the jokes take away from the message she's trying to get across.

Basically, I think it's losing its edge.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,850 Posts
I've seen every episode of Full Frontal (except the most recent two), but it's definitely not nearly as high on my priority list as it used to be. When the show started, it was much more about comedy. Now it's much more about activism with the occasional joke thrown in. Also, I sometimes wonder if the interview subjects, who are on the show talking about serious issues, get annoyed at Sam (or the other correspondents) for making silly jokes just so the interview fits in with the "comedy" show, but yet the jokes take away from the message she's trying to get across.

Basically, I think it's losing its edge.
I think that also describe John Oliver, which used to be much more on the comedy end of things and all too often has become one long story about a topic with very little comedy. I think The Daily Show has mostly stayed true to its roots, with a little more emphasis on African American culture now than before. I do wonder, since these shows are taken as much more than just comedy shows now, that this is intentional, and that the comedy is being downplayed to some extent. These hosts feel they have a pulpit and now want to use it to further their own causes. I don't think that was the original intent.

·
Ambassador to the City of Chicago
740 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,003 Posts
What a bizarre ad. Why would the LWT writers think that was a "very good script" for a local car commercial? And I'm not clear on whether the wild tone change when it cut to the guy in the pickle suit was part of the script or if that was the dealer ad libbing.

581 - 600 of 660 Posts