TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
I agree. I think TN is even funnier doing his show from his home than he was with an audience. Maybe it's just that he can be more himself, or maybe it's just not pandering to an audience, or maybe it's just that I can decide what's funny without hearing others laughing, but I like his whole show better (and that includes his repertory company as well.
You can tell how long TN has been working from his apartment by how large his afro is. What's funny is he could get it cut (he hosted the Grammys), he just doesn't.

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
Because the risk of this discussion becoming too political, I'm not going to respond to the topic of this week's episode, but I do have to say, that I'm starting to not enjoy this show as much as I used to. I think his topics have become too wonky, and there's much less humor. I kind of feel like I'm watching a PBS documentary on the topic than a comedy show.
I feel Oliver was always a deep dive information show with humor interspersed as opposed to a "comedy show".

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
I don't get why Fallon is back in the studio with an audience, while Meyers in the studio without an audience, while Colbert is in the building, but not the studio and with no audience (but his wife and staffers laughing in the background) and TDS and LWT are still being done from home with (presumably) no other individuals present. Why are all these NYC-based shows treating things so differently?
NY will adapt the CDC guidelines as of Wednesday. Assuming that also covers NYC, there's no reason any of those shows can't have a maskless audience.

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
Perhaps we heard the same thing? I recall, many years ago, of a story in which Israel sent a missile in an open office window to hit the wall behind the desk of the man they were targeting.
They do that for things like precision assassination attempts. I don't think that's what they are doing currently.

Some of the destroyed buildings have actually been collateral damage. They've been targeting the tunnel system under Gaza, but when the tunnels collapse it takes down any buildings the tunnels are under. That's in addition to just flat out taking out buildings directly.

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
As soon as she said that, I am thinking, come on the host HAS to question that! But I get the feeling that so many of these talking heads who do local news don't even listen to what their guests are saying.
The point was that this is paid advertising which is why the host isn't questioning the guest. They are being paid to follow the script.

It's also why customers in fast food ads don't question the quality of the food. ;)

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
This is what John does best. He takes an absurd concept, one that's pretty obviously a scam (even if it started out with good intention....though arguable that ever happened here) and just pokes holes in the whole concept until it just a joke fest of laughs. Love Rachel Dratch as his wife. She's perfect playing the mega minister's wife! When John takes on an actual serious topic, and drones on and on about it, it feels like a boring news story and a lecture. This was a great episode.
I actually thought it was a serious topic for the vast majority of the episode. It didn't get silly until the last 5 minutes of the episode.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts