TiVo Community Forum banner
441 - 460 of 661 Posts

· Registered
12,632 Posts
The problem Israel faces with Hamas is they (Hamas) like to hide HQ in non-military buildings. Schools, hospitals, apt blocks. Regular military, no matter what country, would never do this, but Hamas, being a terrorist organization, does this as SOP. So if Israel wants to get at their leaders or infrastructure, they have to attack non-military targets.

So they make the announcements, give everyone about an hour to evacuate, and then blow up the building. The press coverage sucks, but Israel doesn't give a **** about that.

Fighting for your literal survival is much different than sending some troops to Iraq or Afghanistan to fight the bad guys. Don't forget that one of Hamas avowed goals is the destruction of Israel, and the creation of a Palestinian state from Gaza to the West Bank and everything in between.

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more ‎violence. If the Jews put ‎down their weapons ‎today, there would be no ‎more Israel'‎"
Yeah. That raid on entebbe was such a major invasion. That was my point. Israel was famous for precise incursions. This is deliberately the opposite.

· Ambassador to the City of Chicago
742 Posts
We should probably make this less political and start talking about the guns segment.
Ah yes, nothing says "less political" like "Let's stop talking about Israel and start talking about guns"

Editor's note: it's a joke please don't get the thread locked lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered Fool
55 Posts
We should probably make this less political and start talking about the guns segment.
I thought the "Stand Your Ground" segment was more interesting. I was unaware of the origin and history of "Stand Your Ground" or the appalling statistics on its application. John Oliver was advocating its repeal everywhere, but I don't see how that is possible, given its popularity with the gun rights crowd. At best, maybe it could be tweaked to address its worst abuses if enough people agree that there have been abuses.

Getting back to the original subject, I wonder what Russel Crowe's opinion is on "Stand Your Ground".

· Well-Known Raconteur
19,683 Posts
Yep. I just went back and deleted all my posts on this subject. Rob started a thread in the Politics sub-forum.

Back to JO... I have been educated, amused, alarmed, even upset, at some of his topics, but I've always been entertained. Lately... not so much. I find myself FF thru huge segments of his show. He's become too preachy, and less interesting/enjoyable. I don't need an after-school special, or a Jimmy Fallon joke-fest, but I also don't like to be sermonized.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,498 Posts
Yep. I just went back and deleted all my posts on this subject. Rob started a thread in the Politics sub-forum.

Back to JO... I have been educated, amused, alarmed, even upset, at some of his topics, but I've always been entertained. Lately... not so much. I find myself FF thru huge segments of his show. He's become too preachy, and less interesting/enjoyable. I don't need an after-school special, or a Jimmy Fallon joke-fest, but I also don't like to be sermonized.
I mentioned this a couple of week's ago. It's become way too serious and a lot of times it feels like I'm watching a topical hard news shows. There are less and less jokes, less sight gags and more, "lets tell the audience about a topic" Even when we was doing stories such as the one on the coal guy a couple of years ago, the story was filled with jokes. He's just too serious. I don't tune in to his show for serious, I tune in for topical news with jokes and satirical comments, much like what TDS is. It used to be a fun way to end the weekend. Now, unless I'm interested in the topic, it's boring.

· Señor Member
94,399 Posts
I'm going to disagree. I think it is good that he is being serious. The show has always tackled serious topics and sometimes I found the jokes to be jarring in those segments. I do enjoy the more fun parts too, but I do look at this show for some serious discussion.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,413 Posts
How many of you also watch Full Frontal with Samantha Bee? I've found the tone on that show has also gone from comedy mixed with political messages, to hardcore political messages with the very occasional bit of comedy.

· I am Groot!
58,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
How many of you also watch Full Frontal with Samantha Bee? I've found the tone on that show has also gone from comedy mixed with political messages, to hardcore political messages with the very occasional bit of comedy.
I stopped watching early this season. I was never as into her as Oliver (she's always been more polemical than him), and she just became unwatchable for me.

· Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I watched the first season of Full Frontal a bit but I can only consume so many late night shows and hers did not grab me. Right now our go to show is the 11th hour with Brian Williams. He sums up the day well with the right amount of humor. He doesn't get into the ranting that most of the others do.

· tabasco rules
16,723 Posts
i still have a 1p for sam, and she's still got it - are many lol moments when she's on point - but when she falls into her repetitive, preachy rut, i ffwd to the next segment.

· Now with flavor!
2,274 Posts
Back to JO... I have been educated, amused, alarmed, even upset, at some of his topics, but I've always been entertained. Lately... not so much.
I wonder how much of the tone-shift is the result of his no longer pandering to a studio audience?
His lack of funny pre-dates the pandemic with me. Past two years. Almost ties in with the ATT purchase of Time Warner.

Past few weeks, I haven't cleared my Sunday nite for LWT. Still haven't seen the last two.

· Registered
16,251 Posts
I still look forward to LWT episodes but I also generally watch most of these types of shows (Patriot Act, VICE, Frontline, etc.) even if they overlap in coverage as they all differ slightly in how they cover a subject.

· Ambassador to the City of Chicago
742 Posts
I still look forward to LWT episodes but I also generally watch most of these types of shows (Patriot Act, VICE, Frontline, etc.) even if they overlap in coverage as they all differ slightly in how they cover a subject.
Yeah, my bedroom TiVo is a wasteland of Frontline, Vice News Tonight, Independent Lens, Amanpour and Co., etc that I'll probably never have the time to watch

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,498 Posts
See the pattern here? We are comparing LWT, Sam Bee and others with what is considered SERIOUS news shows. Those, on the outset, were not meant to be thet. They are hosted by comics first of all. And they are not branded that way. Sam Bee at least has bits where they go out and make fun of the serious folks. We hardly see that from Oliver any more.

441 - 460 of 661 Posts