TiVo Community Forum banner
341 - 360 of 661 Posts

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,533 Posts
I was very surprised they didn't mention how big of a dirtbag Tucker's father was, so clearly it's the family business.
I didn't put 2 and 2 together when watching The Lady and the Dale on HBO, but when I found out THAT Carlson was Tucker's father and how vile he was when going after Carmichael not because she was a fraud and a grifter, but because he liked going after and exposing Trans women in the 70's it was clear hate and bigotry started at home in the Carlson family.
This exactly. When I found that he was Tucker's father, it all makes sense.

· Ambassador to the City of Chicago
742 Posts
Bill's never been very big on public health...
true.
In an ironic twist, halfway through the plastics episode a horrific smell engulfed my front room. An errant reusable bottle top fell off the top dishwasher rack, and was in the process of burning onto my heating element. Fun stuff!

· Meh.
41,598 Posts
Bill's never been very big on public health...
Well, he goes on and on about obesity just about every show nowadays.

Ihvetinari said:
I wonder why he's still doing shows in the white void? Bill's been back in the studio for awhile now
I think Trevor Noah adapted to the pandemic much better than the other late night guys I watch. Colbert and Maher spent weeks letting us know how miserable they were. John Oliver is still in the void to let us know how miserable he is. Trevor and his correspondents do their show from their homes with smiles on their faces. Sam Bee, too.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
Agreed that the white void joke is tired. He can stay there, that's fine, but let's give up the discussion of it at the start of every show.

For me, both Trevor and Seth Myers are actually thriving in the new format (Seth moreso since he's back in his studio, his "from home" work was just OK). In a way I'll be sorry to seem them go back to a live audience because I think they're both funnier in this format.

The rest of the late night crew, including JO, IMO are better with a live audience.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,533 Posts
I think Trevor Noah adapted to the pandemic much better than the other late night guys I watch. Colbert and Maher spent weeks letting us know how miserable they were. John Oliver is still in the void to let us know how miserable he is. Trevor and his correspondents do their show from their homes with smiles on their faces. Sam Bee, too.
I agree. I think TN is even funnier doing his show from his home than he was with an audience. Maybe it's just that he can be more himself, or maybe it's just not pandering to an audience, or maybe it's just that I can decide what's funny without hearing others laughing, but I like his whole show better (and that includes his repertory company as well.

I think Sam Bee has done a good job on her show as well.

Bill Maher's show as kind of terrible outside the studio and even now, with less guests, almost no "A" listters, it's just not as good (and he seems to be harping much more on his pet peeves because of it.) John Oliver's show is still mostly the same, but I agree that the white void jokes are getting old.

BTW, Richard Kind, kind of like JK Simmons, just makes everything he's in better. He's one of those "that guys" that just works for me.

· Cat God
17,255 Posts
I agree. I think TN is even funnier doing his show from his home than he was with an audience. Maybe it's just that he can be more himself, or maybe it's just not pandering to an audience, or maybe it's just that I can decide what's funny without hearing others laughing, but I like his whole show better (and that includes his repertory company as well.
You can tell how long TN has been working from his apartment by how large his afro is. What's funny is he could get it cut (he hosted the Grammys), he just doesn't.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,533 Posts
You can tell how long TN has been working from his apartment by how large his afro is. What's funny is he could get it cut (he hosted the Grammys), he just doesn't.
I have gotten the feeling that he wants to emphasize that he's African. Back in the 1960s during the Civil Rights era, larger Afros were look upon as a positive message for the black community. Indeed probably 75% of his guests over the past year have been black. So I think he looks at his hair as a thing of pride, and not cut short to look more presentable (less threatening?) to a white audience (and add to the fact that he doesn't wear a suit and just his hoodie). I don't know if there's any type of public acknowledgement of it, but that's just my feeling.

· Registered
17,747 Posts
Bill says the main reason Covid is killing people is poor diet and constantly rails at doctors like Fauci for not going on TV and telling people to eat better. Basically a holistic approach to Covid, which probably wouldn't do much.
Well if people had started eating better years back it might have helped some - at least with hospitalizations and deaths. But beginning to eat healthier now seems unlikely to make any significant short term improvement to your odds of avoiding or surviving COVID.

However I think there's some preliminary research suggesting that one reason COVID deaths aren't higher in Africa, even in areas with pretty poor use of masks, is that there's so much less obesity there than in Western Europe or the US.

341 - 360 of 661 Posts