TiVo Community Forum banner
321 - 340 of 661 Posts

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,629 Posts
One good reason to talk about Tucker is that he is floating the idea of running for President.
I think he'd have no chance. Unlike Trump's perfect storm, a combination of the Democratic get out the vote efforts and probably a tiring of TV personalities as politicians will doom his chances.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,629 Posts
What's interesting is that even when Fox was dominating the cable news ratings, that was only because CNN and MSNBC were splitting the vote, so to speak. They still are, but Fox has dropped down to their level (my understanding is that all three are now in more or less a dead heat, with each claiming "victory" based on one specialized metric or another). So the fact that it's a dead heat means that, at least on cable TV, sane people outnumber Foxnuts by roughly 2 to 1.

I wonder, during Fox's supremacy, how they compared to the combined ratings of CNN and MSNBC?
In 2019 (before a lot of election coverage had taken off, Fox was #1, just slightly less than a combined MSNBC (#2) and CNN (#14)

Cable Ratings 2019: Fox News Tops Total Viewers, ESPN Wins 18-49 Demo - Deadline

In 2010, they almost doubled the combined MSNBC/CNN

Fox Utterly Destroys Cable News Ratings Competition in 2010

They have since lost a couple of high profile shows in O'Relly and Beck. But they've been leveraging market share. But I wonder, with a Democratic President if they regain some of their ratings again. Conservative radio, especially Limbaugh had their best days when there was a Dem in charge, because their flock needed to go there to listen to their point of view.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,629 Posts
From what I am reading 45 is no longer pushing an alternative media empire and is really not doing too much of anything and has no machine so to speak. This makes me wonder if OAN/Newsmax will start to fade because of the lack of mentions.
This is what I have been saying. Trump's influence will wane. He has no social media he can really use. He probably doesn't have the money or backers to do his own (I'm guessing that the money he thought he was going to have is not there). Heck, I figured he'd be all over the right wing media, but really outside of showing up and CPAC, where has he been? Outside of crazy state level politicians, and a few crazy Trumpies on the Federal level, I'm not even seeing that much support for him on a national level. I think most of the GOP is railing against the Dems, in the ways they used to pre-Trump.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
Actually I've been a bit surprised how LITTLE railing against the Dems there seems to be. They're all in on "cancel culture" (as always completely misrepresented and utterly wrong) but there's surprisingly little about, for example, the 1.9T relief plan just passed with 0 Rep votes.

I was sure we'd get the relief package equivalent of death panels but so far... not much...

· tabasco rules
16,716 Posts
Actually I've been a bit surprised how LITTLE railing against the Dems there seems to be. They're all in on "cancel culture" (as always completely misrepresented and utterly wrong) but there's surprisingly little about, for example, the 1.9T relief plan just passed with 0 Rep votes.

I was sure we'd get the relief package equivalent of death panels but so far... not much...
that might have to do with the 76% approval among all americans - including a majority of those on the conservative side - it turns out money is real popular. :)

my worry? when things begin to transition to whatever normal will be, what happens to all of the foreclosures and evictions. i fear the worst hasn't even started yet...

Reactions: tim1724

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
that might have to do with the 76% approval among all americans - including a majority of those on the conservative side - it turns out money is real popular. :)

my worry? when things begin to transition to whatever normal will be, what happens to all of the foreclosures and evictions. i fear the worst hasn't even started yet...
Although I saw something interesting (and even a little hard to believe) on the news last night...the total amount of money that is coming to Minnesota through the various relief bills (last year's and this year's) for renter assistance is greater than the total amount of currently delinquent rent. So if they can just find a way to get that money into people's hands (much of last year's still hasn't been disbursed)...

· tabasco rules
16,716 Posts
Although I saw something interesting (and even a little hard to believe) on the news last night...the total amount of money that is coming to Minnesota through the various relief bills (last year's and this year's) for renter assistance is greater than the total amount of currently delinquent rent. So if they can just find a way to get that money into people's hands (much of last year's still hasn't been disbursed)...
i was under the impression that housing assistance was only for government housing and freddie/fannie?

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
i was under the impression that housing assistance was only for government housing and freddie/fannie?
No, the rules (e.g., concerning evictions) only apply to those programs. But the rental assistance money is given to the local authorities to hand out.

· Registered
16,209 Posts
The Tucker Carlson story became more and more interesting to me as it went (although I have to admit, I knew very little about Tucker Carlson; going forward, I'm going to understand the stories about him that appear in the news a lot better). My first reaction was "Why on Earth is he wasting a segment on this human cesspool?!?" (a question he even asked himself early on), but it became worthwhile, I think.
My thought as well, at first. I don't give a rat's ass about Tucker. He's one of the most irritating talking heads on Fox. Every time I try to watch him (out of a desire to see how all sides view current issues), I get so pissed I have to change channels within a minute or two. If that long.:rolleyes:

But...

This. I kept watching, and it became pretty interesting. I ended up watching the entire segment, and was rewarded at the end, with a dancing Tucker.
OK, I'll give it another shot but I hope I don't break anything when watching the entire segment. :eek:

· tabasco rules
16,716 Posts
This is the only show that consistently goes over that I watch. And considering it's not a Live show (like Bill Maher was for example), I don't understand why they can't get this right.
same here, it's been padded 5 minutes for ages - i guess they don't know the exact running time by the time hbo submits the schedule, but oliver could do better, since it happens so often - just log it as 35 minutes each week regardless, and be done with it.

Reactions: Steveknj

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
(It still tickles me that the general John Oliver thread has what has evolved into such a random title...it just seems so...so John Oliver.)
If you want to tie things together...

Oliver was talking about Tucker Carlson who is on Fox News. Showtime has a mini series about Roger Ailes and Fox News called The Loudest Voice, staring Russell Crowe.

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
If you want to tie things together...

Oliver was talking about Tucker Carlson who is on Fox News. Showtime has a mini series about Roger Ailes and Fox News called The Loudest Voice, staring Russell Crowe.
Oh, come on, you can do better than that!

Push it further! I want to see Q-level stuff!

:D

· wait.. I did what?
15,545 Posts
The Tucker Carlson story became more and more interesting to me as it went (although I have to admit, I knew very little about Tucker Carlson; going forward, I'm going to understand the stories about him that appear in the news a lot better). My first reaction was "Why on Earth is he wasting a segment on this human cesspool?!?" (a question he even asked himself early on), but it became worthwhile, I think.
I was very surprised they didn't mention how big of a dirtbag Tucker's father was, so clearly it's the family business.
I didn't put 2 and 2 together when watching The Lady and the Dale on HBO, but when I found out THAT Carlson was Tucker's father and how vile he was when going after Carmichael not because she was a fraud and a grifter, but because he liked going after and exposing Trans women in the 70's it was clear hate and bigotry started at home in the Carlson family.

321 - 340 of 661 Posts