TiVo Community Forum banner
281 - 300 of 661 Posts

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
I agree it was interesting but it just wasn't very funny; even the bits that were supposed to be funny, didn't seem funny to me. Maybe I just am not in a place to find the humor yet. I need some humor interspersed in my doomsday scenarios.

Just have to keep watching I guess!

· Now with flavor!
2,274 Posts
I expected Oliver to at least editorialize the failed impeachment. It's harder to root for him when he doesn't swing at the pitch.

· I am Groot!
58,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
I expected Oliver to at least editorialize the failed impeachment. It's harder to root for him when he doesn't swing at the pitch.
I suspect timing was part of it...he used to tape his show on Sunday, but now it's Saturday, and it's possible he literally didn't know the exact outcome yet (I mean, we knew what was going to happen, but HOW it was going to happen changed right up to the end).

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,425 Posts
I suspect timing was part of it...he used to tape his show on Sunday, but now it's Saturday, and it's possible he literally didn't know the exact outcome yet (I mean, we knew what was going to happen, but HOW it was going to happen changed right up to the end).
Even if he did tape on Saturday evening and knew the actual result of the voting, his staff likely didn't have time to rewrite a whole monologue based on those results. But it's kind of a bummer since most of the late night shows are off this week, so other than SNL we really haven't had any snarky comedic takes on how the impeachment trial ended up.

· Registered
16,251 Posts
I disagree about the subject matter as it was all about why the number of new diseases have been increasing lately and what can be done about it.
I've been reading so much about pandemics that there wasn't any new information presented in the episode. Peter Daszak has been on TWiV several times. In fact because his TWiV interview wasn't released promptly, a new conspiracy theory about the origins of COVID arose.

· I am Groot!
58,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Even if he did tape on Saturday evening and knew the actual result of the voting, his staff likely didn't have time to rewrite a whole monologue based on those results. But it's kind of a bummer since most of the late night shows are off this week, so other than SNL we really haven't had any snarky comedic takes on how the impeachment trial ended up.
Wouldn't surprise me if his Main Story this coming week derived from the whole impeachment drama...which might be a better thing than having a snap judgement, especially for somebody who's as good at the deep dive as he can be.

· All About Footwork
29,905 Posts
Um...I'm pretty sure everyone knew how it was going to happen; with a vote falling short of the two-thirds majority!

Like Trevor Noah says; if you don't know, now you know! :p

· I am Groot!
58,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Um...I'm pretty sure everyone knew how it was going to happen; with a vote falling short of the two-thirds majority!

Like Trevor Noah says; if you don't know, now you know! :p
Right, but all the drama with the witnesses was going on Saturday, and might not have been resolved by the time Oliver did his show. Which meant he didn't even know if there would have been a vote yet (when it was announced that the Democrats had caved on witnesses, it came as a surprise).

· All About Footwork
29,905 Posts
Right, but all the drama with the witnesses was going on Saturday, and might not have been resolved by the time Oliver did his show. Which meant he didn't even know if there would have been a vote yet (when it was announced that the Democrats had caved on witnesses, it came as a surprise).
Let me mansplain: You made a comment that - on the surface - could be dissected as incorrect. You knew there was more to the story that makes your comment correct. I knew that you knew that. But I pretended I didn't know that you didn't know so I could point out that your comment was not correct. This is - in some circles - considered funny!

If you don't know, now you know! :p

· Registered
2,624 Posts
Let me mansplain:
I've never heard that term before. I'm not sure why exactly, but I've been snickering about it for a few minutes now. "Mansplain" I repeat to moiself, then, sure enough, I snicker.

If it's yours, I'm going to steal it. If it's not, it's public domain and I'm going to use it by right.

I can't wait to slip it into a conversation first chance I get. "Er, Bob, let me mansplain myself..." (snicker)

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,425 Posts
I've never heard that term before. I'm not sure why exactly, but I've been snickering about it for a few minutes now. "Mansplain" I repeat to moiself, then, sure enough, I snicker.

If it's yours, I'm going to steal it. If it's not, it's public domain and I'm going to use it by right.

I can't wait to slip it into a conversation first chance I get. "Er, Bob, let me mansplain myself..." (snicker)

· I am Groot!
58,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Let me mansplain: You made a comment that - on the surface - could be dissected as incorrect. You knew there was more to the story that makes your comment correct. I knew that you knew that. But I pretended I didn't know that you didn't know so I could point out that your comment was not correct. This is - in some circles - considered funny!

If you don't know, now you know! :p
Ah, so you were only PRETENDING to be a complete idiot, for the sake of a joke! I get it now!

;)

· wait.. I did what?
15,513 Posts

Just ask any woman you know, she'll happily tell you how many millions of times she's been a victim of mansplaining

281 - 300 of 661 Posts