TiVo Community Forum banner
261 - 280 of 661 Posts

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Ah the pre-COVID good ole days when I really liked that movie.

Still like it.
It's interesting to see all the ways it got a pandemic right, and all the ways it got it wrong...

And I think many of the ways it got it wrong, it couldn't have gotten it right without actually living through it. Because who would believe..?

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Last night when they showed the local news stations and their pathetic Halloween costumes-then that one dude was John Oliver!

He did the drumming on the table, he had the glasses, then - 'STAMPS!' :D:D:D

I needed a good laugh and man oh man did that deliver! :p
Some US Presidents could learn something from how much joy John Oliver takes from people mocking him...

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 · (Edited)
The Adam Driver bit over the past year was a bit odd but it's good to see that Driver was a pretty good sport about it. I guess Oliver never asked Driver to listen to or watch one of Driver's performances. :D
I found it amusing that Driver clearly recorded his whole spiel on his own, and then Oliver tried to fill in the gaps as if they were having an actual conversation...and didn't do the greatest job of it. It's pretty obvious which of them is the Oscar-nominated actor, and which one...isn't. :D

Ah, John...gonna miss you these next couple of months.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,629 Posts
I found it amusing that Driver clearly recorded his whole spiel on his own, and then Oliver tried to fill in the gaps as if they were having an actual conversation...and didn't do the greatest job of it. It's pretty obvious which of them is the Oscar-nominated actor, and which one...isn't. :D

Ah, John...gonna miss you these next couple of months.
Great take on what's happening in the election. I wish the professional pundits could put it exactly how John did. I loved the whole "white void" episode ending. I found the Driver bit kind of well silly, but I have all season. Not one of my favorite Oliver bits.

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
February? :(
It's a bummer having to go a couple of months without John Oliver.

On the other hand, we only have to go a couple of months without John Oliver! It's not like some shows, where there's ten months or more between seasons...

· Cat God
17,559 Posts
I don't know. We've seen Bill Maher and Sam Bee start to do their shows back in the studio.
Restrictions in the region just got tighter this week. For example Philadelphia just banned all indoor gatherings and NJ banned gatherings of over 10 people. NYC is contemplating more severe restrictions.

I have a feeling things will be worse by February.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,629 Posts
Restrictions in the region just got tighter this week. For example Philadelphia just banned all indoor gatherings and NJ banned gatherings of over 10 people. NYC is contemplating more severe restrictions.

I have a feeling things will be worse by February.
I guess the hope is that by February when he comes back, we'll have a vaccine and perhaps thing will open up some.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
Given how bad it is now and the rate at which things are going downhill, if things keep getting worse from here until February we may not care whether John is back or not...

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Given how bad it is now and the rate at which things are going downhill, if things keep getting worse from here until February we may not care whether John is back or not...
So, you're saying I'll be dead?

Because that's pretty much the only thing that would make me stop caring if John Oliver returns...

;)

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,087 Posts
We'll be able to gauge whether John can get back in the studio by watching what happens with Colbert, Meyers, and Fallon. If they can continue doing shows in their studios (or in the same building in the case of Colbert), then there's no reason John shouldn't be able to. On the other hand, if they all end up back doing their shows from home again, then we'll know things have gotten really bad.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
So, you're saying I'll be dead?

Because that's pretty much the only thing that would make me stop caring if John Oliver returns...;)
Well, you might also be more concerned with quietly hiding from the roving hordes searching for your carefully hidden caches of TP and hand sanitizer.

I wonder if we need a new thread now for "John Oliver vs. Adam Driver" :). That was a great bit IMO. You can definitely tell the difference between a "real actor" and ... well ... John. But it was hilarious anyway.

· I am Groot!
59,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
I wonder if we need a new thread now for "John Oliver vs. Adam Driver" :). That was a great bit IMO. You can definitely tell the difference between a "real actor" and ... well ... John. But it was hilarious anyway.
I would argue not hilarious anyway...hilarious because. That was half the fun!

And I may be biased, but I like that the de facto ongoing thread for the John Oliver show has such an absurd title. It's entirely fitting! :D

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,457 Posts
John Oliver Says Adam Driver "Obsession" on 'Last Week Tonight' Sprung From Audience Joke Displeasure | Hollywood Reporter

John Oliver on Wednesday dropped by Late Night with Seth Meyers where he explained the running joke on Last Week Tonight in which he's uncomfortably obsessed with Adam Driver.

Meyers brought the bit up as Driver finally appeared on the HBO show to faux berate Oliver over his creepy sexual obsession. Oliver explained that originally his "love" for the Star Wars actor was a one-liner from a staff writer. And when it fell flat, he was hooked.

"The water on the seed [of the joke] was feeling real resistance from the audience," Oliver said, noting the first joke happened before the pandemic struck. "It felt like only 40 percent enjoyed it. So we did it as a callback a few weeks later and they weren't really happy to have it back. So, at that point, it became something of an obsession in our staff."

Oliver said the show finally contacted Driver to see if he might come on and play along. He agreed and appeared on the season finally where he told Oliver to knock it off.

261 - 280 of 661 Posts