TiVo Community Forum banner
241 - 260 of 661 Posts

· Registered
5,270 Posts
After another bleak week and recap by Last Week Tonight, it was good to finish the show on a humorous note.

Good comeback by Oliver, as Danbury will probably name the sewerage plant after him to get the donations, and if they do pass, Oliver will get Torrington (yes Torrington CT) to take him up on his offer.

"(Danbury's Mayor) was mum on whether he would accept the offer, but said residents should expect a video to drop on Thursday."

· Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Oliver is a gem. I really didn't pay him a lot of mind, back when he did some TDS bits, until he covered for Jon Stewart that year when JS was making a movie. That was the point to which I really learned to appreciate him. Some of it's pretty crazy, but he does it well.

· tabasco rules
16,716 Posts

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Connecticut city OKs renaming sewage plant for John Oliver

The City Council voted 18-1 Thursday night to rename the sewage plant after the comedian...

Boughton said Friday that the feud has been a good distraction from the coronavirus and other troubles of the times. He also said Oliver's promised donations have helped spur local fundraising efforts for area food banks that could end up collecting a few hundred thousand dollars to feed needy families.

The mayor added he will be offering tours of the sewer plant for $500 donations to local food pantries.

"I think it's been a home run. It's been a lot of fun," Boughton said of the spat. "If I can put food on people's table for Thanksgiving by naming a sewer plant after a very popular comedian, we'll do it all day long."

· Registered
16,209 Posts
Odd that ALS Connecticut didn't get their money yet.

'Much needed laugh': Danbury officially names 'John Oliver Memorial Sewer Plant'

Although Oliver's donations were contingent on the renaming, he has already donated to Danbury teachers' projects on Donors Chose, a crowdfunding site. Boughton said Oliver gave about $30,000 to the teachers, which is $5,000 more than he pledged.

The Connecticut Food Bank, which is supposed to receive $25,000, did not return a request for comment.

ALS Connecticut has not received its promised $5,000 yet.

"We are anxiously awaiting any news of his contribution to the chapter but have not at this point heard anything," said Sandy Tripodi, executive director.

241 - 260 of 661 Posts