TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
It was an interesting segment on voting machines however he never explains how, if voting machines are not connected to the Internet, how are the votes tallied the same night that the votes are cast? I always wondered about that.
The only part that bothered me is that a direct dial modem, while it may have some vulnerabilities, is absolutely NOT the same thing as the internet. (I'd compare it to a BBS or Fax machine - but many people don't know how those work; even if they know what they are :eek:)

Even on a complicated ballot you're usually talking about less than 50 individual races. The local tallies could simple be called or faxed in to a central location and then entered into their systems. There's no need to transfer the vote counts digitally. (Ideally the voting machines would print out a tally sheet that would include checksum or other integrity check data that could also be passed verbally (it'd be trivial enough to turn it into nonsense phrases of real words). That would protect against transcription errors but still allow easy non-digital, or even verbal, transmission of the information.

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
Why couldn't a record of the vote that was cast in a paperless system be recorded on disk in the voting machine?
It is. But if someone hacked the system there's no separate record to cross check against what the disk says. You just have to trust it unless it's claiming something literally impossible (i.e. Abraham Lincoln won the 400,000 voter district with 2 million write in votes) in which case you can't do much except throw out all its results.

With the paper trail systems you can go back can check what was printed out as each vote was cast. (And those systems should be set up so each voter is able to see the paper record of their vote so they can double check it for accuracy). There are two main types of voter reviewable paper trail machines -
1) direct tally where the primary record is on disk within the machines and the paper backup also stays within the same machine throughout election day
2) ballot printers where the "voting machine" simply prints out a ballot with your selections pre-filled and you (after reviewing it) carry it over to a dedicated tally machine.

For a few of reasons I prefer the 2nd type. Easier to review and void an incorrect ballot; can work in parallel with pen and paper scantron ballots; and the primary record is the human readable scantron style ballot.

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
Bill says the main reason Covid is killing people is poor diet and constantly rails at doctors like Fauci for not going on TV and telling people to eat better. Basically a holistic approach to Covid, which probably wouldn't do much.
Well if people had started eating better years back it might have helped some - at least with hospitalizations and deaths. But beginning to eat healthier now seems unlikely to make any significant short term improvement to your odds of avoiding or surviving COVID.

However I think there's some preliminary research suggesting that one reason COVID deaths aren't higher in Africa, even in areas with pretty poor use of masks, is that there's so much less obesity there than in Western Europe or the US.

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
Speaking of the show being off this past weekend - I forgot that and my TiVo recorded the rerun. (Looks like it was the one from March 21st).
Not realizing it was a rerun, I started playing it and was a bit shock he started off with a joke about being surprised Prince Philip (10 June 1921 - 9 April 2021) was still around. :eek:

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
The explanation for this that I heard from my Rabbi is that God's "days" are different than human days. God's days could be millions of years in human time.
I've heard, but your Rabbi would know better, that the original Hebrew word didn't necessarily mean one 24-hour day, and was often used as a more nebulous 'indeterminate length of times of at least a day'. If true, that would directly support the idea that the Old Testament or Torah wasn't trying to say that God created the heavens and the earth in exactly 144 hours.

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
Is that clip from a past episode, or a preview of tonight?

I ask, because I was kinda surprised we haven't seen him comment on HBO Max's state of affairs yet, and I'm wondering if somehow I got bored with a segment, my attention drifted, and I missed the whole joke...
I remember seeing it in an episode. (I think it last week's; but it might have been the one before that)

Edit - remembered that I have 'recently deleted' and very little new recording to overwrite them. It was at the 22 minute mark of the 8/7 episode and the whole slam was just a 15 second digression from the monkeypox segment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts