TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
I can see Brexit...that's a much, much bigger deal than the US press seems to understand, since the failure of the Brexit could (probably will) have serious negative impacts on the entire world's economy. So I think it's good that he's trying to keep us current on the impending disaster.
Yeah, but Brexit is over a month away. We've got our own more immediate crises right here.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
One thing that I remember from an Adam Ruins Everything episode is that the American middle class family good fortunes started right after WWII when Europe, Japan, Russia etc... were in ruins and incapable of competing with American manufacturing. China was an inward looking back water until recently. Now, many other countries can provide the jobs and wares that once were exclusively produced by Americans. China is an economic powerhouse now and there are many countries now where people are culturally willing to do the same job for less pay and longer hours than Americans. Automation along with the gradually decreasing advantages created by WWII are why things are tough for many people.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
Good on John Oliver for taking on Vince McMahon and the WWE. I don't follow rasslin' any more but definitely grew up watching it and was aware of it for many years. It'll be interesting to see if his request for signs and chants will be heeded although I expect any critical signs will be confiscated at the upcoming Wrestlemania and other events.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
At least the episode wasn't about Brexit!

Pro Wrestling is stupid but it's a fun stupid. I grew up watching the WWWF on Saturday mornings (and Roller Derby too) and the WWF and other federations into my 20s. It's "fake" but the people who do it put tremendous strains on their bodies and health. It's a shame that the corporation they work for treats them like dirt. Seeing Vince McMahon get popped upside his head with a bed pan cracked me up.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
That skit was probably a pretty expensive waste of money too. To take a deep dive into Japanese mascot culture was a curious executive decision. I'd have preferred another Brexit expose instead of that.

I'm definitely not going back to rewatch to check but it seemed to me that John was alternating between Mull-er and Mule-er in his pronunciations of Mueller.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
Is this show filmed before a live audience? It seemed like somebody was really leaning on the fake laughter button pretty heavily this episode in the non-lethal injection segments.

Apparently, I'm not the target demographic for this show since I like KFC and I like cold, day old fried chicken.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
I like John Oliver, but I don't know, maybe I'm getting bored with his topic of the week. This past week's with pharmacies, just bored me. But the payoff at the end was great. He's had a few shows this season that has topics I just didn't care about. With so much going on around us, I just feel that a show on a topic like that is just a waste. I do get that every comedian is covering current events and he wants to do something different, but he needs to come up with better things. Sorry, but 20 minutes on this topic didn't work for me.
At least it wasn't Brexit.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
I still say that they dub in canned laughter when the live audience laughter isn't loud enough. Some of it sounds "engineered" like with his segment on Stephen A. Smith.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
Philadelphia has the Running Of The Santas. I was in town last Saturday afternoon and what I thought was a seemingly endless stream of Santa hat wearing pub crawlers apparently was this event. The only people who probably make any money off this are bar owners and employees and I bet half of them wish this event would go away.

Philadelphia - Running of the Santas 2016

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
Bill's never been very big on public health...
Well, he goes on and on about obesity just about every show nowadays.

Ihvetinari said:
I wonder why he's still doing shows in the white void? Bill's been back in the studio for awhile now
I think Trevor Noah adapted to the pandemic much better than the other late night guys I watch. Colbert and Maher spent weeks letting us know how miserable they were. John Oliver is still in the void to let us know how miserable he is. Trevor and his correspondents do their show from their homes with smiles on their faces. Sam Bee, too.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
Well if people had started eating better years back it might have helped some - at least with hospitalizations and deaths. But beginning to eat healthier now seems unlikely to make any significant short term improvement to your odds of avoiding or surviving COVID.

However I think there's some preliminary research suggesting that one reason COVID deaths aren't higher in Africa, even in areas with pretty poor use of masks, is that there's so much less obesity there than in Western Europe or the US.
I read or saw somewhere that the average age and obesity rates of Africans was much lower than in the US. In all honesty, at the beginning of covid I thought Africa would get decimated by it. Surprise! We're #1!

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
I have gotten the feeling that he wants to emphasize that he's African. Back in the 1960s during the Civil Rights era, larger Afros were look upon as a positive message for the black community. Indeed probably 75% of his guests over the past year have been black. So I think he looks at his hair as a thing of pride, and not cut short to look more presentable (less threatening?) to a white audience (and add to the fact that he doesn't wear a suit and just his hoodie). I don't know if there's any type of public acknowledgement of it, but that's just my feeling.
Nah. I think it's just a covid fro. It's his "white void". Or he just wanted to grow his hair longer.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
He's still whining about being stuck in the void even though there's nothing preventing him from having a non-void set other than his desire to keep complaining about being in a void.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
He was in a lot of respects but he always did it with lots of comedy. Now it feels more like I'm watching Frontline on PBS. It's just not as funny as it used to be. Not sure if that's a part of not being in the "writers room" and not being at the studio.
I kinda like the de-emphasis of comedy if that's what it is. I've always felt that he too often extends and embellishes his jokes too much until they're past clever and are now silly.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
I don't think there is a show that does a better job of covering the issues. And that has always been the case.
All those Brexit-centric episodes really held my interest. :p

I actually think that Trevor Noah is doing a better job nowadays.

·
Meh.
40,841 Posts
Trevor Noah's Daily Show outside of the studio is much better than Oliver's. I think one thing is that this made Trevor's show someone different than John Stewart. Sure the format is similar but the fact that he doesn't have to play for an audience works for him and he seems much more relaxed. He still is a terrible interviewer, and his guests are much less interesting as most seem to trumpet African American issues these days.
Trevor's guests may be less interesting to you but not to me. I believe that he's consciously highlighting African Americans who would normally be omitted from other similar programs. I applaud him for that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts