TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
I loved the bit in last night's episode. But I'm not sure I'd say what John Oliver did that led up to this would be considered a "prank" on Russell Crowe. Crowe was selling memorabilia in an auction, LWT bought it and donated it to one of the last operating Blockbuster stores. Doesn't seem like a prank to me. Just something silly like giving the massive train set to Scranton, PA.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
John has been making the rounds on the talk shows this week. He's put on some weight and looks considerably older than he did on his last episode.
Colbert commented on the fact that Jon's hair has started going gray in the last few months.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
I suspect it will be as it has always been. Automation will take the place of certain tasks, and humans will invent new tasks that aren't as easy to automate. At the very least, all of those machines will need to be designed, built, and maintained.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
I agree that it wasn't as informative as many past segments. He kept mentioning how such calls COULD be made legally, and I kept expecting him to dive into the details of what is allowed and why most of the calls out there are not allowed. And then I expected him to provide consumers with some tools to identify illegal calls so they can be properly reported. But instead, he just went for the easy joke.

Although I have to admit I laughed out loud when the curtain dropped and the button push was just automating a much larger finger pushing a much larger button.

Also, do we really think the FCC doesn't have a way to filter out those types of calls? I seriously doubt any of those commissioners will ever even hear the call, unless they watch this segment.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
But no matter how complex it is, it has to happen. The status quo only benefits the scumbags (and the telephone companies the scumbags use). If things keep going the way they are, there's gonna be blood in the streets (metaphorically speaking).
If things keep going the way they are, then nothing will change for me, because I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If it's an important call, they can leave a VM and I'll call them back. Otherwise, send me a text or email. So I could get 100 robocalls a day and it wouldn't matter, because I wouldn't answer any of them, and as soon as I get a VM from a robot, I add it to my contacts and block it.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
I think the method we use here in Arizona is pretty foolproof. The ballots are paper. You use a marker to draw a line connecting two black boxes next to the candidate you are voting for. Then the ballot is fed into an electronic machine that scans it and counts the totals. So the result is totally auditable. There are no voting machines to be hacked. And the scanning/counting machines can be used locally and then have the results called/faxed manually or they can be set up to send the results over a secure connection without exposing the machine to the internet.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
I think the method we use here in Arizona is pretty foolproof. The ballots are paper. You use a marker to draw a line connecting two black boxes next to the candidate you are voting for. Then the ballot is fed into an electronic machine that scans it and counts the totals. So the result is totally auditable. There are no voting machines to be hacked. And the scanning/counting machines can be used locally and then have the results called/faxed manually or they can be set up to send the results over a secure connection without exposing the machine to the internet.
I just went and dropped off my mail-in ballot at the polling place and it turns out they are now using touchscreen voting machines. They look like large all-in-one computers with a big (approx 24") touchscreen. I asked about them and they told me you can use those machines, and they will then print out a paper ballot which then gets scanned the same way as the mail ballots that I described earlier.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
Funny that one of his "And now, This" bits this week was making fun of Chris Matthews for basically appearing to be senile, and then he retired the next day. I wonder if him seeing that collection of his screw ups was the final straw for him.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
Apparently Samantha Bee was new last night. I canceled my recording earlier in the day, since there had been no announcement that I saw.
I had watched her Beeing at Home videos on YouTube last week when she said they were going to try to do a real episode for last night. Haven't watched it yet, though.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
Why is the audio so bad on all of the various talk shows? I realize they are recording at home but many YouTubers don't seem to have this issue.
I think there's a lot of learning going on with these talk shows. The hosts have never had to do this themselves and many didn't have decent equipment. The first night Seth Meyers did a YT show, he was in a hallway and was very echo-ey. A couple nights later, he mentioned he'd gotten a new microphone and had moved to a different room and it sounded much better. At least he didn't have kids laughing all through the whole thing like Fallon.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,971 Posts
We'll be able to gauge whether John can get back in the studio by watching what happens with Colbert, Meyers, and Fallon. If they can continue doing shows in their studios (or in the same building in the case of Colbert), then there's no reason John shouldn't be able to. On the other hand, if they all end up back doing their shows from home again, then we'll know things have gotten really bad.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts