TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I was as well since he focused on “legal” Roboform calls from companies which make up a very small percentage of calls. Most are from foreign countries with spoofed numbers.

Those are ones than only the FCC can mandate be stopped by forcing phone companies to verify phone numbers aren’t spoofed. I don’t even answer calls that start with my area code and prefix on my cell phone as they are all spoofed.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
CAN you verify phone #s aren't spoofed, using the existing technology (from the consumer end, that is), also without having to replace MAJOR MAJOR parts of the telephone infrastructure (whether hardware or software)?

In other words, this ALMOST sounds like the "stop email spam by making SMTP servers authenticate everything", which basically breaks all existing email. (I didn't go google it, but there's a common email spam "solution" reply form like that, that has selections for replacing the entire infrastructure, etc..)

IOW, regular phone calls use Caller ID, which as we know is spoofable. 800(and other toll free) calls use ANI, which is a different technology and un-spoofable, presumably because the recipient of the call is paying for it.

I'm not saying I'm against it (either of them), but it's probably a way more complex problem than we think.
Actually there are a number of solutions to email spoofing that don't have to do with the SMTP servers authenticating everything.

A number of years back, the big email providers (kind of) agreed to two standards: SPF and DKIM. SPF are DNS records which indicate to receiving servers which SMTP servers are authorized to send email from a domain. DKIM is a way of digitally signing emails with a public key to prove they were sent from a specific SMTP server.

Originally some providers backed SPF and others backed DKIM, but now they are used in conjunction. Combining the two means the receiving server has a way of verifying that the SMTP server used to send the email is authorized to do so and that the email headers weren't spoofed.

Usage of these aren't mandated and they won't stop spam, but they can stop spoofed emails if your email provider checks these, which most big ones do (at least for major senders like banks, etc). That's why you may get fake emails from "Google" that are from [email protected], but not from [email protected].

See 3 DNS Records Every Email Marketer Must Know

There is a similar standard created that can sign caller ID records to verify that the number is coming from the phone network it should be coming from. Nearly all spoofed phone numbers originate from VOIP numbers where the VOIP simply reports a fake originating number in the caller ID. What this standard will do indicate that a phone call supposedly from say a T-Mobile phone number actually originated from T-Mobile and not an overseas VOIP. Once usage of this becomes widespread unsigned numbers can simply be blocked. Until then, they can indicate when a phone number is verified.

See https://www.howtogeek.com/402141/how-phone-companies-are-finally-verifying-caller-id-numbers/

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I think wrestling is stupid (though I'm now interested in hearing if a few of the Giant Bomb podcast members who are/were into wrestling comment on this), but I also think it's really stupid that that world wildlife fund sued to make them change their name. Yes I know it happened a long time ago now, but last night's episode mentioned it.
If I recall correctly the world wildlife fund and the world wrestling federation originally had a deal where the later could use the WWF logo, but had to say their full name when they used it. Instead they pretty much always said WWF. It was at that point that the world wildlife fund sued.

Just looked it up and that's basically it.

World Wide Fund for Nature - Wikipedia

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
John spent 15 minutes talking about the Mueller report, which was half the episode. That didn't give much time to do a deep dive into any kind of serious subject. I feel like if the report had come out earlier in the week that it might have been the main subject of the episode instead of the pre-story story. As it was, he had to talk in length about the report, but it couldn't be the main story so he came up with something light-hearted to fill in the rest of the episode. I watched it and found it amusing, which is what it was designed to be (the opposite of the Mueller story).

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
Living in one of the states where there is no paper trail (NJ) I can see how this is a problem since there's no record anywhere of how a vote was cast. We do have kind of a work around in our state. A few years back NJ made it so that anyone can vote by absentee ballet for any reason (now called "mail-in" ballot). There's a paper trail with that, but it can delay the election results. In last years election, the result for the US congressman in my district wasn't known for over a week because it was close enough that mail-in ballots mattered.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
Anyway, I thought it was great. What I wonder is how they handle doing graphics and cutaways? I guess they send the SB portion to the studios in Atlanta or wherever and they mix that stuff in?
They don't need a studio for that. One person on a laptop or iPad could do all that. Maybe not as quickly, but it's not hard to superimpose a graphic on an image. Cutaways are just video and that can be spliced in.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
I don't know. We've seen Bill Maher and Sam Bee start to do their shows back in the studio.
Restrictions in the region just got tighter this week. For example Philadelphia just banned all indoor gatherings and NJ banned gatherings of over 10 people. NYC is contemplating more severe restrictions.

I have a feeling things will be worse by February.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
The Tucker Carlson story became more and more interesting to me as it went (although I have to admit, I knew very little about Tucker Carlson; going forward, I'm going to understand the stories about him that appear in the news a lot better). My first reaction was "Why on Earth is he wasting a segment on this human cesspool?!?" (a question he even asked himself early on), but it became worthwhile, I think.
One good reason to talk about Tucker is that he is floating the idea of running for President.

·
Cat God
17,208 Posts
(It still tickles me that the general John Oliver thread has what has evolved into such a random title...it just seems so...so John Oliver.)
If you want to tie things together...

Oliver was talking about Tucker Carlson who is on Fox News. Showtime has a mini series about Roger Ailes and Fox News called The Loudest Voice, staring Russell Crowe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts