TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
One of the better episodes. Having known all about Giuliani's past, none of it surprises me. He's the perfect example of a guy who was in the right place at the right time (9/11) and it made him a celebrity of sorts.

The Russell Crowe stuff was great. And JO just loved it, you could tell.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
Yeah, but Brexit is over a month away. We've got our own more immediate crises right here.
I'm glad he does different topics. The current US/Trump topics have been talked to death on any number of talk shows (TDS, Sam Bee, Real Time, Colbert, etc). And really the jokes are all starting to sound the same. As an American, I really didn't understand all the implications of Brexit and J.O did a great job of explaining how damaging this could be to the world economy.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
While it's true that past fears about technology replacing humans haven't panned out, it'll be interesting to see if this time will be different. Will advances in AI finally get to the point where it'll be able to do many of the white collar jobs that exist today? Or will more advanced AI simply augment an employee so they can be more productive?
While AI has replaced a lot of the blue collar jobs, it's outsourcing that has been replacing the white collar jobs. And AI has replace SOME white collar jobs, such as call centers where there are automated scripts on how to fix certain things you are calling about, or can gather much of the information that used to be collected by an "operator" before you got to a real person. Can AI do manager or executive level work? Not YET.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
I agree that it wasn't as informative as many past segments. He kept mentioning how such calls COULD be made legally, and I kept expecting him to dive into the details of what is allowed and why most of the calls out there are not allowed. And then I expected him to provide consumers with some tools to identify illegal calls so they can be properly reported. But instead, he just went for the easy joke.

Although I have to admit I laughed out loud when the curtain dropped and the button push was just automating a much larger finger pushing a much larger button.

Also, do we really think the FCC doesn't have a way to filter out those types of calls? I seriously doubt any of those commissioners will ever even hear the call, unless they watch this segment.
I think we forget sometimes that the show is really a comedy show more than a "news" show. There's plenty of places to watch the news, but I watch J.O. for the laughs. I don't care really if he gives us every detail about his weekly issue.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
Good on John Oliver for taking on Vince McMahon and the WWE. I don't follow rasslin' any more but definitely grew up watching it and was aware of it for many years. It'll be interesting to see if his request for signs and chants will be heeded although I expect any critical signs will be confiscated at the upcoming Wrestlemania and other events.
Agree. It's been well known for years that they abuse their wrestlers. On the other hand some of them have become pretty big stars and very wealthy. But McMahan has always been a jerk, not just one he plays on TV. Watching those clips (entirely out of context of course) made me laugh uncontrollably. There is one I will see in my nightmares that involves Vince and a HUGE male butt in a singlet....It might take therapy to lose that one from my mind!

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
I've heard the same about the UFC. All of the riches go to a few fighters and everyone else fights for scraps.

But I'm still kinda meh about this week's topic and the season so far in general. I guess when you have that many episodes in the can, the well can start to run dry.
Doesn't UFC consider it's fights legit? I think that's the difference in some respects. WWE fighters are essentially actors who are treated badly. A UFC fighter (assuming it IS on the up and up) has to understand that getting in the ring has risks. Boxing is the same way. Only champs and crowd pleasers make any money.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
If I recall correctly the world wildlife fund and the world wrestling federation originally had a deal where the later could use the WWF logo, but had to say their full name when they used it. Instead they pretty much always said WWF. It was at that point that the world wildlife fund sued.

Just looked it up and that's basically it.

World Wide Fund for Nature - Wikipedia
Of course the WWE, was, even before the WWF, the WWWF (World Wide Wrestling Federation.)

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
I used to think of LWT as borderline investigative journalism and not merely late nite schtick commentary. (Frontline meets The Daily Show)

Now I don't know what to think. It's not been rubbing me the right way this season either.
I get the feeling that J.O. is just really bored with serious stuff (and especially anything related to US politics). First and foremost, it's comedy. The WWE is always good for a few laughs. But yes, sometimes it does border on some decent investigative journalism. But he's done plenty of lighter stuff too (hence we got the story on Scranton's train on the news, and Russell Crowe's jockstrap :) )

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
I thought, for a waste of time, the Mascot thing was pretty funny. I get the feeling that JO might be bored so he's including some irreverence into his last stories. He's done it before (the thread title was one time, another was the Scranton train story). I thought the stuff on the Mueller report was well done. For once he was able to get the drop on TN and Sam Bee, because their shows were on reruns this past week.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
I think that sometimes we forget that this is a comedy show first and a news show second and in a lot of respects I find it sad when this (and others of it's ilk) is the primary news sources for a lot of people. Jon Stewart had to constantly remind us of that (and oddly I think he used to use the term fake news). Can we learn something about what's going on from these shows? Certainly. But the goal is to be funny, not to deliver a serious news story. I get that the Japanese mascot story was "out there", but it did amuse me. It amused me the same way that the Russell Crowe jock and the toy railroad story did. So this is nothing new for JO.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
I like John Oliver, but I don't know, maybe I'm getting bored with his topic of the week. This past week's with pharmacies, just bored me. But the payoff at the end was great. He's had a few shows this season that has topics I just didn't care about. With so much going on around us, I just feel that a show on a topic like that is just a waste. I do get that every comedian is covering current events and he wants to do something different, but he needs to come up with better things. Sorry, but 20 minutes on this topic didn't work for me.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
Living in one of the states where there is no paper trail (NJ) I can see how this is a problem since there's no record anywhere of how a vote was cast. We do have kind of a work around in our state. A few years back NJ made it so that anyone can vote by absentee ballet for any reason (now called "mail-in" ballot). There's a paper trail with that, but it can delay the election results. In last years election, the result for the US congressman in my district wasn't known for over a week because it was close enough that mail-in ballots mattered.
In my county in NJ we use a completely different machine. I'm pretty sure that the Election official puts a punch card into the machine before we pull the curtain to vote. Then again, I've done mail in ballots the last two election days so perhaps they changed the machines since. But they were the same machine for at least the last 20 years before I started doing mail in.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,888 Posts
Bill Maher is coming back the following week. It will be interesting to see how they do that show, considering it's panel driven. I guess it will be done like one of the CNN shows where the talking heads debate each other via satellite.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts