TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 26 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
I'm annoyed with myself for not hitting the fast forward button quicker during that last 13 minutes waste of time mascot skit.
About a minute in, I started FF. It didn't hold my interest at all. Of course, one has to keep an eye as you FF, as sometimes he gives us a treat at the end.

Alas, none.

Yeah...the initial stuff on the Mueller report was classic Oliver. Then the main story was...classic this season Oliver.

I'm wondering if maybe he's starting to get a little bored?
I was thinking the same thing. His stories don't have the passion they used to show, and they (IMHO) definitely don't have the hold on me as a viewer. I was late to JO, just started watching in the last couple years. And can't recall FF thru any episodes. This season, I've done it more than once.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
Stamps ordered!

FWIW, it seems they are .55 stamps, not Forever stamps. I would have ordered 2-3 sheets (I use a fair number of stamps over time), but since rates will be going up soon... just one sheet.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
John Oliver Says Adam Driver "Obsession" on 'Last Week Tonight' Sprung From Audience Joke Displeasure | Hollywood Reporter

John Oliver on Wednesday dropped by Late Night with Seth Meyers where he explained the running joke on Last Week Tonight in which he's uncomfortably obsessed with Adam Driver.

Meyers brought the bit up as Driver finally appeared on the HBO show to faux berate Oliver over his creepy sexual obsession. Oliver explained that originally his "love" for the Star Wars actor was a one-liner from a staff writer. And when it fell flat, he was hooked.

"The water on the seed [of the joke] was feeling real resistance from the audience," Oliver said, noting the first joke happened before the pandemic struck. "It felt like only 40 percent enjoyed it. So we did it as a callback a few weeks later and they weren't really happy to have it back. So, at that point, it became something of an obsession in our staff."

Oliver said the show finally contacted Driver to see if he might come on and play along. He agreed and appeared on the season finally where he told Oliver to knock it off.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
I couldn't get through this week's episode. I just had to turn it off after 5 minutes into the main segment.
My thought as well, at first. I don't give a rat's ass about Tucker. He's one of the most irritating talking heads on Fox. Every time I try to watch him (out of a desire to see how all sides view current issues), I get so pissed I have to change channels within a minute or two. If that long.:rolleyes:

But...

The Tucker Carlson story became more and more interesting to me as it went (although I have to admit, I knew very little about Tucker Carlson; going forward, I'm going to understand the stories about him that appear in the news a lot better). My first reaction was "Why on Earth is he wasting a segment on this human cesspool?!?" (a question he even asked himself early on), but it became worthwhile, I think.
This. I kept watching, and it became pretty interesting. I ended up watching the entire segment, and was rewarded at the end, with a dancing Tucker.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
We should probably make this less political and start talking about the guns segment.
Yep. I just went back and deleted all my posts on this subject. Rob started a thread in the Politics sub-forum.

Back to JO... I have been educated, amused, alarmed, even upset, at some of his topics, but I've always been entertained. Lately... not so much. I find myself FF thru huge segments of his show. He's become too preachy, and less interesting/enjoyable. I don't need an after-school special, or a Jimmy Fallon joke-fest, but I also don't like to be sermonized.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,362 Posts
Good episode. Topical, yet funny. And a subject that should be of interest to most of us who watch JO (local news).

The Venus Veil was great. That pitchperson did a really good job. It's amazing how much bullcrap the local TV stations will let air. Seriously, how does anyone not question that ad, at some point along the line? (Rhetorical question, I know. Money).

Invented 80 years ago in Germany. :D

1 - 16 of 26 Posts