TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
This is far from the first absurdly produced tangent they're run off of this nature. Sometimes they're pretty funny. What makes this one so memorable, is both that it was a swing and a miss, and it came at a time when we were really probably looking for him to continue on with more serious matters. It was just a misfire all around. (Although if some folks liked it, then that works too)

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
I can't find our telemarketing thread, so I'll just post this here....

I just got a telemarketing call, which was new to me, because it started with (and continued under the pitch) very familiar "Epic and Dramatic" music. Yup, it was Ash: The Secession. And it was hilarious, possibly the most gripping notice that this is my final opportunity to lower my interest relates as pertains to the stimulus ever. ;)

(For those that don't remember Jack Warner's response to John Oliver)

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
Oliver's appearance on Colbert was fun, if a bit improv-y.
I didn't notice during his show, but it looks like the 'perfect white' background behind him is rolls of paper on the wall. I suspect they shipped him some form of tacky paper to put up, because that sort of perfect white background just isn't likely to be found in most houses. You couldn't see it on the John Oliver show proper when it was perfectly framed, but with the various angles and shadows that were present it his call to Colbert, you could sometimes see the seams.

(Yes, these are the things that cross my mind when I have nothing better to contemplate - and after a day of fighting my own webcam to make myself not look like the whitest man on the planet in a yellow room).

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
There just feels like there's something different about Oliver's show since the pandemic. And for me it's just too serious now.
I think he's genuinely having less fun. A large part of what makes the show so much fun to watch is the over the top degree to which he is clearly enjoying it, no matter how absurd the topic. But be it the lack of audience, or the topics, or the pandemic, or the void - I just don't think the same level of enjoyment is there, and is shows. Hopefully things get back to normal, and he finds the spark again (It's not gone, it's just not there as much as it used to be).

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
What a bizarre ad. Why would the LWT writers think that was a "very good script" for a local car commercial? And I'm not clear on whether the wild tone change when it cut to the guy in the pickle suit was part of the script or if that was the dealer ad libbing.
I have to agree. It needed something in the middle to bridge the couple, to the car dealership, or something - to even pretend to work.

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
All topics are more enjoyable when John's having fun. Many of the episodes of the last two years were missing that 'special something', as if the show just wasn't as much fun to make during the height of the pandemic restrictions. Either that, or he was just burnt out for a while.

He seems mostly back to his over-the-top enthusiastic state - which is what the show runs on. Hopefully back with an audience, minimal restrictions, he'll be able to maintain it...

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts

I bought an offset, so now I’m green! 😁
Did you actually? I ask because I went to the website, and it says all their offsets have been sold. This means either:

A) They didn't actually let anyone spend any money, they just set up the organization and website, but weren't going to actually accept anyone's money.
B) 10,000 people were willing to sacrifice 1$ for comedy.

And I'm honestly torn as to which I believe... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts