TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would have thought Russell Crowe would win?!? :D

(If you didn't watch it, you have to...no description could do it justice. But a while back John Oliver pranked Russell Crowe, and now Russell Crowe has pranked him back so well, John Oliver has declared there's no point in going on and closed down his show...although since there's another episode next week I'm not entirely convinced of his sincerity. I'm sure it will be on YouTube shortly and somebody will post the video.)

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worried for a moment. I mean, not the Koala thing, but I can imagine him ending the show in just such a way, whenever it does end. Maybe even with more episodes listed on the schedule, just to throw us off.

(But he didn't say "And this is real"...)
I can see him doing that, but I can't see HBO doing it...

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing to do with Russell Crowe, but if you watch tonight's John Oliver, be sure to stick around for the credits. Rita Morena has a pretty hilarious blooper. Which she then leans into.

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Three months off and his top two topics on his first show back were Brexit and New Zealand. Huh?
I can see Brexit...that's a much, much bigger deal than the US press seems to understand, since the failure of the Brexit could (probably will) have serious negative impacts on the entire world's economy. So I think it's good that he's trying to keep us current on the impending disaster.

As for New Zealand, well, that's exactly the kind of weird, inconsequential story he loves! I half expected him to put a map of something other than New Zealand up, and eventually say "And that's NOT New Zealand!" ;)

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Interesting that Oliver is in the "it's no big deal" camp when it comes to automation. Given the advances in AI, automation is moving up the value chain so I'm not so sure the ATM example is that applicable.
Although his overall point (which he didn't make very well) is pretty good...people have been complaining about technology killing jobs for centuries, but there have always still been jobs... the problem is, the old jobs are replaced by new ones, and the people who lose the old jobs don't tend to be well suited for the new ones.

So it's not a jobs apocalypse; it's jobs evolution. It just feels like an apocalypse to the people who are suddenly unemployed (which, of course, is understandable). And that's the dynamic that some people, especially politicians who feel obliged to make simple, easy-to-understand promises to win votes, don't seem able to grasp. Which Oliver kept dancing around but never really hit on the head...

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I was pretty disappointed in the robocall segment...it wasn't the kind of deep dive he normally does. In fact, it was about as deep as the network TV stories he spent so much of the segment making fun of...

The whole thing seemed like an excuse to show off how clever his FCC robocall trick was. Which wasn't very clever at all. Definitely not peak Oliver.

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yeah, he only briefly mentioned the real problem, and the solution in "blink and you miss it" passing. That should have been the main focus.

I think he just wanted to do the robocall stunt. It didn't feel like they did anywhere near the usual amount of research for this story.

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I agree that it wasn't as informative as many past segments. He kept mentioning how such calls COULD be made legally, and I kept expecting him to dive into the details of what is allowed and why most of the calls out there are not allowed. And then I expected him to provide consumers with some tools to identify illegal calls so they can be properly reported. But instead, he just went for the easy joke.
And I was REALLY hoping he'd go into the technology that could end most of these calls, and how the phone companies won't use it, and the FCC won't make them use it. He mentioned it in passing, but it should be a huge scandal, and while I can understand the network news being shallow and uninformed enough not to understand, Oliver really has no excuse.

I don't buy that this is a comedy show. It's a news show disguised as a comedy show. It goes deeper into its stories than just about any other show on American television.

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I'm not saying I'm against it (either of them), but it's probably a way more complex problem than we think.
But no matter how complex it is, it has to happen. The status quo only benefits the scumbags (and the telephone companies the scumbags use). If things keep going the way they are, there's gonna be blood in the streets (metaphorically speaking).

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
If things keep going the way they are, then nothing will change for me, because I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If it's an important call, they can leave a VM and I'll call them back. Otherwise, send me a text or email. So I could get 100 robocalls a day and it wouldn't matter, because I wouldn't answer any of them, and as soon as I get a VM from a robot, I add it to my contacts and block it.
So if your phone rings 120 times per hour, that wouldn't affect you at all? You won't mind when you can't use your phone for incoming calls at all?

I know the time will come when robocalls will literally put me out of business if something isn't done, because most of what I do is over the phone. And the more calls I don't answer, the more I risk losing business (it already happens). The only reason I can get away with it now is because the rental market is so tight I can afford to lose potential renters because they call on their out-of-state cell phones. Not to mention the problem of every robocall blocking the phone line for a minute or two from legitimate callers.

·
I am Groot!
58,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Yeah...the initial stuff on the Mueller report was classic Oliver. Then the main story was...classic this season Oliver.

I'm wondering if maybe he's starting to get a little bored?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts