TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 660 Posts

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would have thought Russell Crowe would win?!? :D

(If you didn't watch it, you have to...no description could do it justice. But a while back John Oliver pranked Russell Crowe, and now Russell Crowe has pranked him back so well, John Oliver has declared there's no point in going on and closed down his show...although since there's another episode next week I'm not entirely convinced of his sincerity. I'm sure it will be on YouTube shortly and somebody will post the video.)

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,847 Posts
One of the better episodes. Having known all about Giuliani's past, none of it surprises me. He's the perfect example of a guy who was in the right place at the right time (9/11) and it made him a celebrity of sorts.

The Russell Crowe stuff was great. And JO just loved it, you could tell.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,386 Posts
I loved the bit in last night's episode. But I'm not sure I'd say what John Oliver did that led up to this would be considered a "prank" on Russell Crowe. Crowe was selling memorabilia in an auction, LWT bought it and donated it to one of the last operating Blockbuster stores. Doesn't seem like a prank to me. Just something silly like giving the massive train set to Scranton, PA.

·
Now with flavor!
2,246 Posts
It wasn't a prank- at least not at the same level as the Catheter Cowboy ads or the Marlon Bundo book. A Russell Crowe jockstrap begs to be made fun of and Oliver was obliging.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,540 Posts
... closed down his show...although since there's another episode next week I'm not entirely convinced of his sincerity.
I worried for a moment. I mean, not the Koala thing, but I can imagine him ending the show in just such a way, whenever it does end. Maybe even with more episodes listed on the schedule, just to throw us off.

(But he didn't say "And this is real"...)

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worried for a moment. I mean, not the Koala thing, but I can imagine him ending the show in just such a way, whenever it does end. Maybe even with more episodes listed on the schedule, just to throw us off.

(But he didn't say "And this is real"...)
I can see him doing that, but I can't see HBO doing it...

·
Registered
18,385 Posts
I loved the bit in last night's episode. But I'm not sure I'd say what John Oliver did that led up to this would be considered a "prank" on Russell Crowe. Crowe was selling memorabilia in an auction, LWT bought it and donated it to one of the last operating Blockbuster stores. Doesn't seem like a prank to me. Just something silly like giving the massive train set to Scranton, PA.
It's probably just me but stunts/pranks like this are my least favorite part of the show.

(All those bits about TV anchors aren't that great either. :))

·
I am Groot!
64,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing to do with Russell Crowe, but if you watch tonight's John Oliver, be sure to stick around for the credits. Rita Morena has a pretty hilarious blooper. Which she then leans into.

1 - 20 of 660 Posts