TiVo Community Forum banner
4501 - 4520 of 4533 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Congrats to Amy for breaking the seven figure barrier. Only the 4th person in J! history to crack one million dollars in regular season play. And she did it without getting either of the two DJ DDs. She would have had several thousand more if she hit either, as both were easy.

Speaking of easy DD... "Born on the South Side of Chicago, he originally had "Sense" behind his name in his early rap years". Even if you don't know Common, a fairly well known rapper/actor, how do you not get this with "sense" in the clue. But then Sean cemented his idiocy by giving away $1,000 at the end. Gave it away. :eek:
I had no idea who the rapper in question was, so nothing in the clue caused "common" to spring to mind. Without knowing who he is, more context is needed. He didn't even come up when I googled "common sense" without "rapper".

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I had no idea who the rapper in question was, so nothing in the clue caused "common" to spring to mind. Without knowing who he is, more context is needed. He didn't even come up when I googled "common sense" without "rapper".
The thought maybe 50 Cent might have been 50 Sense originally. But I wasn't paying attention all that closely, and the category title is another clue I didn't have.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Some of you may enjoy this joke.

Last night on "Call Me Kat", at Kat's place of business, Kat (Mayim) saw three former cast members of her favorite TV show from when she as a child. The name of the show was never mentioned, but these three actors were from the first hit show in which Mayim starred. Asked whatever happened to that other girl, the response was that she went on to host quiz shows.

·
My One Time
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,504 ·
I'm surprised nobody got van Gogh. I'm thinking maybe the category threw people off.

·
Unknown Member
4,965 Posts
I'm surprised nobody got van Gogh. I'm thinking maybe the category threw people off.
As Ken noted, you look for throwaway asides from the writers (being cutesy) in the clue. Here: "brother." Of course that doesn't always work: "fair" a few days ago was a false positive for Simon & Garfunkle.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Anyone notice the episode description? Said something like "Amy continues her winning streak".
I did, when I was watching the episode last night. The description was quite long and needed a proof reader....."Current Champion Amy Schneider tries to extend her winning streak. Amy recently surpasses the one-million-dollar mark in her 28th win and became the only 4th contestant and first woman to ever reach that milestone in the show."

Since I didn't remember such a long description before, I looked at what it said for tomorrow, but there was nothing.

I then looked at the episodes in Recently Deleted Recordings where I had two, One from last week that just said "Ken Jennings hosts." and another from 12-20-2021 that said "Featuring 13-time champ Amy Scheider Host: Jen Jennings."

I never noticed this before and now wondering if TiVo sometimes changes the description after a show airs.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
My wife immediately got this. We had just gone to see the Van Gogh Immersive Experience a couple weeks before, and she remembered how close he was to his brother, and how sad and depressed he was most of his life. Even committing himself to an asylum at one point.

Sadly, I didn't get this one. Went right over my head. This may be the first and only triple-stumper my wife ever gets.o_O

For those who didn't see it...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On his deathbed in France in 1890, he told his brother, "The sadness will last forever"

Correct response:
Vincent van Gogh

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I did, when I was watching the episode last night. The description was quite long and needed a proof reader....."Current Champion Amy Schneider tries to extend her winning streak. Amy recently surpasses the one-million-dollar mark in her 28th win and became the only 4th contestant and first woman to ever reach that milestone in the show."

Since I didn't remember such a long description before, I looked at what it said for tomorrow, but there was nothing.

I then looked at the episodes in Recently Deleted Recordings where I had two, One from last week that just said "Ken Jennings hosts." and another from 12-20-2021 that said "Featuring 13-time champ Amy Scheider Host: Jen Jennings."

I never noticed this before and now wondering if TiVo sometimes changes the description after a show airs.
My Edge is showing Amy Schneider's winning streak in the episode description, in place of "Description is not available."

One of my two "Jeopardy" stations is now doing reruns of the Professors' Tournament. There goes any hope I might have had of seeing the Bill Whitaker episodes that somehow got deleted.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
This may be the first and only triple-stumper my wife ever gets.o_O
Holy Trebek! My wife immediately knew this one, again a triple stumper. She blurted out "Annie" and "Annie Get Your Gun" before I could even think. Not that I would have got it. I guessed Dolly.

Two days in a row. She'll never get another one.:oops:

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,435 Posts
Holy Trebek! My wife immediately knew this one, again a triple stumper. She blurted out "Annie" and "Annie Get Your Gun" before I could even think. Not that I would have got it. I guessed Dolly.

Two days in a row. She'll never get another one.:oops:
I knew that SJP played Annie so that was my guess. Really surprised at 2 triple stumpers in a row!

·
It's Just TV
25,843 Posts
It took me a few seconds to figure it out but as I double checked the category and thought about the clue I hit it in plenty of time.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,535 Posts
I really liked what Amy had to say in the 'get to know you' segment from last night's episode, about her mother helping her with spelling bees and how Amy started wanting to dig further into words and meanings.

·
It's Just TV
25,843 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
60,894 Posts
Amy tied James yesterday for third most wins, will pass him if she wins today.
The crazy thing about that is that in James' 32 wins, he earned $2,462,216. In Amy's 32 wins, she's earned $1,101,600, or significantly less than half. And Amy has been a really good champion, with lots of runaway wins and lots of big bets on FJ giving her big totals. That just shows how amazing James was at not just answering the questions, but at strategically betting to maximize his winnings.

In fact, at James' daily average of $76,944, he was ONE WIN away from passing Ken Jennings' total of $2,520,700, which took Ken 74 games to amass.

·
It's Just TV
25,843 Posts
I'm ready for Amy to go myself. I get tired of watching the same player, with the same style, after more than a week or two.

With Amy, the comparison to James on the earnings is something that I had noticed a lot over the last few weeks. Amy plays far more conservatively on the betting. Something that drives me crazy when she is playing in the double Jeopardy round and has a very significant lead and hits the second of the two daily doubles and then proceeds to bet $2,000 (as an example). I mean, if you aren't going to go for at least 2x the highest clue value, you are mostly leaving money on the table that you should have had -- especially if it is a category you are doing very well in anyway.

I can almost understand the more conservative betting in the Jeopardy round and if you hit the first of the two daily doubles in the double Jeopardy round, but not when you have a very sizeable lead in that same round and have most of the board already gone.

That to me is what made James run so impressive -- he made very large wagers and just built up leads that were too big to ever pass. Even if he was looking at a huge lead for final Jeopardy he could bet pretty much what Amy has won in a single game and still leave himself that much if he got the question wrong.

In Amy's case, she may be standing with $28,000 (give or take) going into final, with her next closest competitor at $10,000 (give or take) so it makes some sense that she goes conservative with a bet of somewhere near $4,000 for final -- enough to maintain the win, but not so much that she'll hit for a major payday.

In the end, she has over $1,000,000 of house money at this point. Great for her. And if she adds to that in $30,000 chunks, good for her. But... I'm ready for the next champion to take over for at least a few days.

4501 - 4520 of 4533 Posts