TiVo Community Forum banner
4481 - 4500 of 4533 Posts

·
My One Time
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,482 ·
A triple stumper today, cost our champ $36,000. It took me almost the entire 30 seconds to work thru the clue, but I got it!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC LEGENDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: "I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk"

Correct response:
(John) Lennon & (Paul) McCartney [All three players had Simon & Garfunkel]

I'll spoiler it for now, since the day is young.
I got it. I'm not sure if I got it within the 30 seconds, but it was close.

Generally when we watch I'll pause it after the clue is read so the clue is full screen and we (wife and I) usually discuss it a bit. That wasn't the case with this FJ, but the two of us together can make a good team.

Even if I get it in the 30 seconds I don't know that I would be able to do that if i was a contestant. Your mind knows you have to come up with something within 30 seconds. That's a lot of pressure and stress and not necessarily the best environment to think through the clue. However, my FJ batting average has improved considerably as I've learned to read through the clue and look for clues within the clue. (That's a whole other ball game)

·
My One Time
15,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,483 ·
Totally agree. I never understand how timid some of these people are on the Daily Doubles. In the Jeopardy! round, there are very few situations where it shouldn't be a true DD, and some of those are when the player has less than $1,000 so should bet the max which is more than a true DD. And when behind big in the Double Jeopardy! round, the player should use the DD to try and make up the gap rather than just betting a pittance that won't make a difference in the final scores either way.
Agreed. I liked today with the guy in second place bet enough to leave himself with $1. (I think it was $6399) That made the game not a runaway for a clue or three.

It's also been noted that generally Jeopardy contestants are risk adverse which explains the small bets.

It would be interesting to see how Ken Jennings would do now? When he played IIRC he was pretty risk adverse. I couldn't find the answer to how many of his games were runaways, but I don't remember anyway although I'm sure there must have been at least a few.

·
With an "L"
4,203 Posts
the guy in second place bet enough to leave himself with $1
For some reason, until yesterday I thought it was a rule that Daily Double wagers had to be in $5 increments. Clearly not now, but I wonder if that actually ever was the case.

EDIT: Or maybe it was that the minimum was $5.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
He has said that his brain isn't as sharp as when he first was on, but I think that was before the GOAT tournament.
He may not have felt as sharp going in, but that tournament demonstrated pretty well how Ken would do now. He learned pretty quickly that his usual playing style wasn't going to work against Holzhauer, and he adapted very well.

·
Unknown Member
4,965 Posts
He has said that his brain isn't as sharp as when he first was on, but I think that was before the GOAT tournament.
It was. Way before. Then he went out and beat Holzhauer at "Holzhauer Jeopardy."

Good for him; he's a likable guy and a great player. If they played 10 tournaments, Ken would win some; James would win more. IMHO.

·
It's Just TV
25,844 Posts
It was. Way before. Then he went out and beat Holzhauer at "Holzhauer Jeopardy."

Good for him; he's a likable guy and a great player. If they played 10 tournaments, Ken would win some; James would win more. IMHO.
Except that what we saw with the GOAT was that James couldn't beat Ken, but for one of the games in the series. James is quick and makes the risky moves but Ken was just as quick on the buzzer and Ken still knows more than enough to be competitive. I wouldn't be as quick in assuming the James would win more. More likely my money would be on Ken.

·
Unknown Member
4,965 Posts
what we saw with the GOAT was that James couldn't beat Ken, but for one of the games
What we saw (if my memory of the shooting schedule is accurate) was one very bad day for James, after a mediocre first day (two shows).

You can't take it away. But I think Ken was correct that he was way past his best by date.

·
It's Just TV
25,844 Posts
What we saw (if my memory of the shooting schedule is accurate) was one very bad day for James, after a mediocre first day (two shows).

You can't take it away. But I think Ken was correct that he was way past his best by date.
Ken got a little lucky and James got a little unlucky, but that is how the game is played. James' strategy works best when he can build up a lead, similar to the current champ's strategy. But, if that doesn't work out, or he is playing with someone that is equally quick on the buzzer and actually knows most of the answers, it is much more even.

I was hoping that James would win a second game in that tourney and stretch it out. I would have been happy with either James or Ken winning. It wasn't that close really. Ken was fine and while James did win one of the days it wasn't by that big of a margin.

·
Random Nobody
7,591 Posts
How many people realize that the Las Vegas Strip is not in Las Vegas?
I would have argued the technicality of answering "Paradise". Though The Strat was in the top of the picture, which is technically just inside the city limits.

I also would have wondered if they would have given me the clue because I answered Pentateuch instead of Torah.

--Carlos V.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
60,894 Posts
I would have argued the technicality of answering "Paradise". Though The Strat was in the top of the picture, which is technically just inside the city limits.

I also would have wondered if they would have given me the clue because I answered Pentateuch instead of Torah.

--Carlos V.
Yeah, I said Pentateuch in my living room. But since it was a question about a Jewish sect, I wonder if there's technically a difference and only the Torah answer would have been correct.

·
Random Nobody
7,591 Posts
That's my Catholic upbringing bubbling up, primed by the clue mentioning "five books". So "penta" popped up.

For other's trivia curiosity: The Torah is the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible, and is the same set of books as the first 5 books of the Christian Old Testament, which we call the Pentateuch.

Though in Greek, pentateuch just means "5 books".

--Carlos "Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy." V.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Congrats to Amy for breaking the seven figure barrier. Only the 4th person in J! history to crack one million dollars in regular season play. And she did it without getting either of the two DJ DDs. She would have had several thousand more if she hit either, as both were easy.

Speaking of easy DD... "Born on the South Side of Chicago, he originally had "Sense" behind his name in his early rap years". Even if you don't know Common, a fairly well known rapper/actor, how do you not get this with "sense" in the clue. But then Sean cemented his idiocy by giving away $1,000 at the end. Gave it away. :eek:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Congrats to Amy for breaking the seven figure barrier. Only the 4th person in J! history to crack one million dollars in regular season play. And she did it without getting either of the two DJ DDs. She would have had several thousand more if she hit either, as both were easy.

Speaking of easy DD... "Born on the South Side of Chicago, he originally had "Sense" behind his name in his early rap years". Even if you don't know Common, a fairly well known rapper/actor, how do you not get this with "sense" in the clue. But then Sean cemented his idiocy by giving away $1,000 at the end. Gave it away. :eek:
I know Common from Hell on Wheels and have seen him in some other stuff since, but I didn't make the connection.

On FJ, I thought the same thing, the only thing Sean could do by betting was go from 2nd place to third, which he did.

4481 - 4500 of 4533 Posts