TiVo Community Forum banner
6021 - 6040 of 6057 Posts

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
Curious what quiz bowl buzzer system is?
He probably wants a situation where speed is king, where you don't have to wait until the question is read before you can buzz in because that levels the playing field. If he can quickly read the clue and knows the answer before anyone else, he wants to be able to exploit that.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
He probably wants a situation where speed is king, where you don't have to wait until the question is read before you can buzz in because that levels the playing field. If he can quickly read the clue and knows the answer before anyone else, he wants to be able to exploit that.
Got it, thanks.

I'd do well in that scenario, I'm blurting out the answer before Ken starts speaking. And sometimes, I'm even right!

· Registered
4,321 Posts
"Capital One College Bowl" has that but it's a disadvantage for us because, especially in the two-minute round, we don't even get to hear the question.

On "Press Your Luck" they have it but Elizabeth Banks is funny when she was interrupted. And the more ridiculous the answer is, the funnier when she reads the three choices, which always include the wrong answer if there is one. Those three choices are only read after someone has responded, or rarely, if no one did.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
We're all in agreement.

Yogesh Raut's full FB post
Tl;dr: Jeopardy is an entertaining game show but it's not Olympic-level "quizzing." Its appeal lies in part in the clues that are written so regular people can infer the answer from the clue whether or not they knew the underlying fact being asked.

It's sour grapes but he's basically saying that there are "real" quiz competitions that don't come so close to handing the contestants the answer (and he's apparently very good at those "real" competitions - as anyone who watched him on Jeopardy has heard).

In fairness, he made his Facebook post after the first of his three wins. He's making the point that from a pure Quiz standpoint winning Jeopardy isn't what he'd consider one of his biggest achievements.

I prefer to watch Jeopardy as it's presented, but I've also had a little experience with other formats and know it's a higher league of play. Just not as entertaining to middle America .
Back in 1984 I remembered a show where the clues were really difficult. Occasionally, I would see Final Jeopardy in college in the apartment I shared with three other guys.

However, somewhere I found a link to the very first episode (maybe someone posted it here) and it was pretty much like today.

Then a reporter for the newspaper I read was on it in 1986. I haven't stopped watching since.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
On Andrew Ridgeley's 60th birthday, his hit song was a correct response.

No, he played guitar, not sax. I had to look it up.

Still, the clue read as if it was an adult in a Peanuts cartoon.

Last night I was lucky to have two affiliates since one had golf.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Troy was fun for the first day, but I started getting bored of him the second day. Glad to have saw him replaced, though I'm not too thrilled about the new guy either. However, I feel like he's going to be burn out in a few days.

Jeopardy is a stamina challenge after all. From 7AM to 5PM answering questions the whole day. So there's a slight advantage to being champion on a Friday as it means you would have at least a few hours to recuperate before the Monday taping begins the next day.

I wonder if anyone's done an analysis on Jeopardy winners to see if they do better or worse between "Friday" and "Monday" tapings that happened back to back, and "Friday" to "Monday" tapings that happened with a weekend break in-between.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
New champ was super annoying. Spoke super fast and seemed way overeager. Hopefully he'll be able to calm down and settle in.

Glad Troy made it to the ToC. He was fun to watch.

· My One Time
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,031 ·
I wonder if anyone's done an analysis on Jeopardy winners to see if they do better or worse between "Friday" and "Monday" tapings that happened back to back, and "Friday" to "Monday" tapings that happened with a weekend break in-between.
That's a good question. You should ask that on one of the Jeopardy boards.

I don't necessarily disagree with you hypothesis, however I could see it working the other way for some. I personally feel like by the fifth game my adrenaline would still be pumping and I'd be in a grove. I do agree that it could also be very stressful and brain exhausting probably for most.

(Splitting hairs, I don't think the first show starts taping until 10 AM or so. I have no idea what time the contestants need to be there.)

· Premium Member
9,709 Posts
I personally feel like by the fifth game my adrenaline would still be pumping and I'd be in a grove.
At least one champion who had a sudden poor performance described exactly that. They were doing well, show after show, and then the cross day break knocked them out of the groove, and they just couldn't get the buzzer timing back. I could see it going either way, with the break helping some, and messing with others...

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Alright, back to Celebrity Jeopardy. That was a fun semi-final found I think. It actually ended up being a real game where the third place contestant won.

It also was one of the more higher energy shows without being too over the top.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Alright, back to Celebrity Jeopardy. That was a fun semi-final found I think. It actually ended up being a real game where the third place contestant won.

I haven't seen any of them yet but I already know a spoiler, since the list of contestants in the semifinal round I haven't seen was shown in the list of episodes. And one of them was in the list of quarterfinals contestants. But I would have likely rooted for this person anyway.

· Registered
1,937 Posts

I agree while Brendan was strong throughout the three rounds the daily doubles ended up equaling things and then we had the unexpected outcome in final Jeopardy.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
I liked them all, so I didn't have a preference, but what a turn around! Actually, I'm mostly just familiar with Patton.

Looking forward to the final game but bummed that it will end the season for CJ.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATE NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
5 U.S. states have 6-letter names; only these 2 west of the Mississippi River border each other

Correct response:
Oregon & Nevada

I thought this was a good clue. Theoretically gettable, even if you don't immediately know it. I quickly named Nevada, Oregon, and Kansas. Couldn't think of the other two, but knowing the western states, I knew the other two weren't west of the Mississippi (wrong!). But I didn't think Nevada and Oregon touched; isn't Nevada next to CA, and Oregon on top of CA? But running out of time, I yelled out those two. Bingo! Turns out Oregon is so wide, it runs across the top of both CA and NV. Who knew? I may be asked to turn in my Mr. Geography trophy. 🙄

By the way, has there been a more irritating contestant than our current champ? Between his fist pumps, his facial squinches, and his generally irksome behavior, I find myself rooting for anyone else.

PS: Hawaii and Alaska

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
So "west of the Mississippi" was either (1) a helpful clue to reduce the number of states to consider or (2) obfuscation.

BTW, I began at the west coast, thought of Oregon & then figured it touched Nevada.
Yup. I got it right, too. Actually, I thought it was a pretty easy FJ (especially if I got it right away) so that was surprising. I was shocked that none of them got it, or even that close except one of them who had 'Oregon'.

As to the current champ - I find myself intrigued with how he moves his mouth when he talks. I tried to do that upper lip thing, while talking, and I cannot do it. Beyond that, he still annoys me so I keep hoping for a new champion.

6021 - 6040 of 6057 Posts