TiVo Community Forum banner
6001 - 6020 of 6057 Posts

· Nice to see you
9,038 Posts
Wow, I didn't know it was that long (well, I didn't have any idea how long it was). I wonder how they keep results quiet because don't they have a live studio audience? The only thing that comes to mind is an NDA but with that many people it would seem that stuff would leak out.
I've been in the "Jeopardy!" studio audience for regular games several times, and they don't make you sign anything. However, I believe they do have the people who are in the audience as guests of the contestants sign something (and they might make everyone sign for tapings of tournaments as well).

I think results tend to get kept quiet because nobody really cares who wins a regular episode of the show. I mean, if I went to a taping and posted in this thread that Jane Smith, a legal assistant from Walla Walla, Washington, is going to win the March 14 and March 15 episodes, what would that get me?

· Registered
1,937 Posts
I've been in the "Jeopardy!" studio audience for regular games several times, and they don't make you sign anything. However, I believe they do have the people who are in the audience as guests of the contestants sign something (and they might make everyone sign for tapings of tournaments as well).

I think results tend to get kept quiet because nobody really cares who wins a regular episode of the show. I mean, if I went to a taping and posted in this thread that Jane Smith, a legal assistant from Walla Walla, Washington, is going to win the March 14 and March 15 episodes, what would that get me?
I never thought about it before, but....the studio audience seems pretty large, so I'm kind of surprised some random audience member didn't out the loss by one of the recent super champions like Schneider or Amodio way before the episode aired.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
I think, for one while, they weren't having a live audience at all (pandemic-related). I remember, somewhat recently, when having an audience again was mentioned.

This is about the only show where I can stomach a studio audience because they have to be quiet. :D With a lot of shows, especially sitcoms and talk shows, audiences make too much noise for me to hear what's going on part of the time. I watch a fun little game show with Jay Leno and every time they introduce the next two contestants the audience makes so much noise I'm lucky if I hear their name at all and never hear where they're from or what they do. /majorpeeve

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
I never thought about it before, but....the studio audience seems pretty large, so I'm kind of surprised some random audience member didn't out the loss by one of the recent super champions like Schneider or Amodio way before the episode aired.
I suspect that news was "in the wild" but the thing about the Jeopardy! viewers is most want to see the show as it happens and aren't really interested in "spoilers" as that kind of ruins the viewing experience if you already know who is going to win.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Well, that was easy. There was no public in the studio audience when Matt Amodio or Amy Schneider was playing. This happened during the pandemic so the only people in the audience were contestants and their relatives. Those people are made to sign NDAs to not reveal the results. The penalty is basically you forfeit your winnings.

I'm guessing for the time being no one's really bothering because there haven't been very many really long winning streaks - after all, we know who had the longest, and Matt and Amy have second and third. Even winning just over 10 days already gets you in the top 10 list of longest winning streaks.

Remember they shoot 5 days in a day, so if you get a ticket, you might see the start of a long winning streak (the first day it starts, so up to 5 time winner), the middle of a streak, or the end. And you're not really sure because the end will be seen without any context unless you happened to be at previous tapings (which I think they prohibit due to the sheer number of requests for tickets). It's pretty easy to Ken to simply omit the length of a streak during the taping and having it dubbed in afterwards. So you might see the end of a streak, but you wouldn't know much about it.

I suppose if people got together and started figuring it out then it might be a problem. Of if the streak is so long that it's starting to be broadcast while being taped - they do tape about 3 months ahead of airing and I think Ken's streak might have been close to that happening. In either case, I suspect they will make necesssary changes including having the audience sign an NDA if necessary. But it's not like it's actually happened extremely often to actually be a problem.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
Am I the only one who gets a tad upset when a contestant keeps another contestant from making it a game? To wit, yesterday...

Troy has an almost insurmountable lead, with just a couple clues left. His lead is thanks to a very gutsy DD wager, that was the easiest bottom row clue in history. As Erin tries to claw her way back, Hillary finds the DD. 😒 Then as it winds down, Erin needs every last clue to get within half of Troy. And she's nailing them. The last clue, for $400, would give her just over 50%. And Hillary buzzes in. Good lord woman, the game is a lock if you get it. Don't. Buzz. In.

I know, that's not how it's played. But I thought Erin had real potential, and hate it when an "out of the money" player locks out a challenger.

And Erin would have won. She got FJ correct, and Troy missed it.😡

· Mostly lurking
1,883 Posts
Am I the only one who gets a tad upset when a contestant keeps another contestant from making it a game? To wit, yesterday...
I hate it too, but I think if I were a contestant, I'd just be trying to get every possible answer right because I'd been waiting years to get on the show and I wouldn't want to look like an idiot. I don't think I'd be worrying about the other players' games unless it impacted my game.

Was anyone able to see what Erin's tattoo was? I watched the interviews a couple times and couldn't make it out or understand what she said about it.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
I hate it too, but I think if I were a contestant, I'd just be trying to get every possible answer right because I'd been waiting years to get on the show and I wouldn't want to look like an idiot. I don't think I'd be worrying about the other players' games unless it impacted my game.
Totally agree. But it still irks me.😕

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't know about that either. I didn't see her tattoos but I just assumed she had two dif tattoos, one each of the punctuation marks. The earrings were fun! :) I don't do costume jewelry but if I did I would enjoy those.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Yeah, that FJ was a good one. I knew what the sound was and what show it was referring to. I just couldn't remember the title of the show. I even remembered that introduction they used to do for it.

That was literally a response on the tip of my tongue but it didn't come out in the 30 seconds. All I had was "Law ..."

· Well-Known Mumbler
Rooting for the antihero
11,745 Posts
I figured it out and I had no idea where they were getting Alabama.
Alabama, because "AL" is the postal code for it; and even though they consciously knew that the A and L were supposed to stand for two different states, the suggestion lingered. At least it did for me.

And they probably (ahem) didn't figure out the geographic connection until Ken explained it.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
Yeah, that FJ was a good one. I knew what the sound was and what show it was referring to. I just couldn't remember the title of the show. I even remembered that introduction they used to do for it.

That was literally a response on the tip of my tongue but it didn't come out in the 30 seconds. All I had was "Law ..."
Interestingly, it was the "slamming jail door" part of the clue that gave it away for me.

· I'm back!
36,169 Posts
He's got a point in that J! isn't a true test of trivia knowledge - the clues are written so that Aunt Sarah and Uncle Jim (along with Wheel it's targeted toward an older audience; pay attention to the ads that run) sitting on their sofa have a good chance of deriving the answer in the interval before the player gives the response, so it's as much a chance of buzzer skill as knowledge.
As a fairly popular counterexample I found Learned League much more challenging.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
He's got a point in that J! isn't a true test of trivia knowledge - the clues are written so that Aunt Sarah and Uncle Jim (along with Wheel it's targeted toward an older audience; pay attention to the ads that run) sitting on their sofa have a good chance of deriving the answer in the interval before the player gives the response, so it's as much a chance of buzzer skill as knowledge.
As a fairly popular counterexample I found Learned League much more challenging.
Does he? I've never thought Jeopardy was anything other than what it is, a game show....one created so that you don't have to be an olympian level quizzer to play along at home. The way the game is created, the more you know the better your odds of winning are, but you also have to contend with the buzzer, finding the daily doubles and have a good strategy for your wagering.

· Nice to see you
9,038 Posts
Among other things, he's complaining that Aunt Sarah and Uncle Jim think "Jeopardy!" is the epitome of trivia competition in the United States, whereas the types of trivia competitions he prefers (that is, the types of trivia competitions he does well in) languish in relative obscurity.

Keep in mind that trivia is, by all indications, his entire life. His introduction on "Jeopardy!" called him "a blogger, podcaster, and freelance writer" -- he blogs about trivia, he podcasts about trivia, and he writes about trivia. So it makes sense that he would wish for a world in which his preferred method of showing off his trivia skills would garner him more fame and fortune than "Jeopardy!" did (because he had to contend with a buzzer system that's different than what's used in quiz bowl competitions, and had to deal with making wagers against other people who were not always betting optimally).

· I'm back!
36,169 Posts
We're all in agreement.

Yogesh Raut's full FB post
Tl;dr: Jeopardy is an entertaining game show but it's not Olympic-level "quizzing." Its appeal lies in part in the clues that are written so regular people can infer the answer from the clue whether or not they knew the underlying fact being asked.

It's sour grapes but he's basically saying that there are "real" quiz competitions that don't come so close to handing the contestants the answer (and he's apparently very good at those "real" competitions - as anyone who watched him on Jeopardy has heard).

In fairness, he made his Facebook post after the first of his three wins. He's making the point that from a pure Quiz standpoint winning Jeopardy isn't what he'd consider one of his biggest achievements.

I prefer to watch Jeopardy as it's presented, but I've also had a little experience with other formats and know it's a higher league of play. Just not as entertaining to middle America .

6001 - 6020 of 6057 Posts