TiVo Community Forum banner
5981 - 6000 of 6057 Posts

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
Can anyone provide a logical explanation for the two bets in yesterday's FJ? If you're in second place ($23,800) and behind by $1,800, why would you bet $999? And if you're in first place ($25,600) by $1,800, why would you bet $2,500? Or was it just like eight levels of this . . .

Plant Natural landscape Adaptation Leisure Hat

. . . that ended up with them both settling on random numbers with no logical reason?

· Registered
35 Posts
Can anyone provide a logical explanation for the two bets in yesterday's FJ? If you're in second place ($23,800) and behind by $1,800, why would you bet $999? And if you're in first place ($25,600) by $1,800, why would you bet $2,500? Or was it just like eight levels of this . . .

View attachment 78966

. . . that ended up with them both settling on random numbers with no logical reason?
I really don't care about the crazy bids. I'm just so glad to see Yogesh (or whoever) gone. I think he was even bragging during his interview with Ken yesterday but I couldn't figure what he was talking about. Just so arrogant.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
I really don't care about the crazy bids. I'm just so glad to see Yogesh (or whoever) gone. I think he was even bragging during his interview with Ken yesterday but I couldn't figure what he was talking about. Just so arrogant.
Yes, this was yet another of his contestant interviews that turned into a humblebrag. He was talking about some former J! champion that he idolized, and when he finally got a chance to meet her, he went up and was about to introduce himself and before he even said anything, she said to him, "I'm such a big fan of you!" :rolleyes:

· Nice to see you
9,038 Posts
Can anyone provide a logical explanation for the two bets in yesterday's FJ? If you're in second place ($23,800) and behind by $1,800, why would you bet $999? And if you're in first place ($25,600) by $1,800, why would you bet $2,500?
Jimmy had $11,400, so if he'd bet everything* and was correct, he would have had $22,800. Therefore, Yogesh, at $23,800, was making the largest bet he could that would have allowed him to win in the event that Jimmy had bet everything and was correct and Yogesh and Katie were wrong (assuming Katie had gone with the usual wagering strategy, which would have been wagering enough so she would have won by at least $1 if both she and Yogesh got the correct response, i.e., $22,001).

As for Katie -- my best guess is that she wrote down the difference between her current score and Yogesh's ($1,800) and then the difference between her current score and what Jimmy would have had if he'd bet everything and was correct ($2,800), and picked a number between those two figures.

*Which Jimmy did, but Yogesh didn't know that when he was making his wager.

· Registered
1,937 Posts

View attachment 78966

It seems like he was more more concerned about 3rd place getting the question right than first place. I have no idea where the bet by the woman in first place came from.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
Jimmy had $11,400, so if he'd bet everything* and was correct, he would have had $22,800. Therefore, Yogesh, at $23,800, was making the largest bet he could that would have allowed him to win in the event that Jimmy had bet everything and was correct and Yogesh and Katie were wrong (assuming Katie had gone with the usual wagering strategy, which would have been wagering enough so she would have won by at least $1 if both she and Yogesh got the correct response, i.e., $22,001).

As for Katie -- my best guess is that she wrote down the difference between her current score and Yogesh's ($1,800) and then the difference between her current score and what Jimmy would have had if he'd bet everything and was correct ($2,800), and picked a number between those two figures.

*Which Jimmy did, but Yogesh didn't know that when he was making his wager.
OK, that makes sense for Yogesh's wager. I still don't get first place betting only $2,500 in that scenario. Obviously it worked out for her, but I think that was more of a fluke than good strategy. It seems to be the only real strategies for betting from first place are (a) bet enough so that if second place goes all in and gets it right, you have at least $1 more, or (b) assume a triple stumper and bet less than the difference between you and 2nd place. If she thought her only chance of winning was a triple stumper, then why bet anything at all? Or at least why bet more than $1,799?

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
Was very surprised at yesterday's FJ TS.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY MNEMONICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
MIMAL, sometimes said to be the silhouette of a chef or elf, stands for Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and these 2 states

Correct response:
Arkansas & Louisiana

I'd never heard of MIMAL. But it was obvious from the clue that the states were contiguous, and ran from north down. Further, the only state that starts with "L" is Louisiana. So what comes between LA and MO? And starts with an "A"? Come on people, this is basic 5th grade geography.

I was hoping they would show the MIMAL profile after all was done, it would have helped the clue make sense. Also, unless I missed it, they should have explained why we even care about MIMAL. It's the mnemonic for the five states that form the western side of the Mississippi (which I also did not know).

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
I agree that was a bizarre showing by all three of them in Final Jeopardy!. Hard to believe people smart enough to get on J! wouldn't be able to solve that simply from context clues. I guess I can see mixing up Arkansas and Alabama, but Louisiana and ILLINOIS?!?

Also, does anyone know when this episode was filmed? There was the Spielberg category and one of the questions was "What is The Fablemans?" None of the players got it and I wondered if maybe this was filmed before the movie was released at Thanksgiving. Either way, that movie did so poorly at the box office that I guess even if it was filmed in December, it's not surprising most people hadn't heard of it.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
I agree that was a bizarre showing by all three of them in Final Jeopardy!. Hard to believe people smart enough to get on J! wouldn't be able to solve that simply from context clues. I guess I can see mixing up Arkansas and Alabama, but Louisiana and ILLINOIS?!?

Also, does anyone know when this episode was filmed? There was the Spielberg category and one of the questions was "What is The Fablemans?" None of the players got it and I wondered if maybe this was filmed before the movie was released at Thanksgiving. Either way, that movie did so poorly at the box office that I guess even if it was filmed in December, it's not surprising most people hadn't heard of it.
There are two to three months between taping and airing. The Fablemans was released on Nov 11th.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
Wow, I didn't know it was that long (well, I didn't have any idea how long it was). I wonder how they keep results quiet because don't they have a live studio audience? The only thing that comes to mind is an NDA but with that many people it would seem that stuff would leak out.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Was very surprised at yesterday's FJ TS.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY MNEMONICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
MIMAL, sometimes said to be the silhouette of a chef or elf, stands for Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and these 2 states

Correct response:
Arkansas & Louisiana

I'd never heard of MIMAL. But it was obvious from the clue that the states were contiguous, and ran from north down. Further, the only state that starts with "L" is Louisiana. So what comes between LA and MO? And starts with an "A"? Come on people, this is basic 5th grade geography.

I was hoping they would show the MIMAL profile after all was done, it would have helped the clue make sense. Also, unless I missed it, they should have explained why we even care about MIMAL. It's the mnemonic for the five states that form the western side of the Mississippi (which I also did not know).
I figured it out and I had no idea where they were getting Alabama.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
I don't go to movies or even watch movies that aren't on broadcast TV, unless I'm in a motel on vacation and get lucky with cable channels, and I had heard about it numerous times. I guess it helps that I watch awards shows.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
There are two to three months between taping and airing. The Fablemans was released on Nov 11th.
Right. I was hoping that someone knew the exact dates and whether this was filmed before or after The Fablemans was released. Also, while it may have technically been released Nov. 11 in limited release, it didn't go wide until Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 11 was the weekend Wakanda Forever was released and there were no other wide releases that weekend). I saw The Fabelmans the first week it was available in my local theater and I saw it on Nov. 26.

· Random Nobody
7,493 Posts
The "6 Flags" expected response is wrong! The USA is the 5th (and 7th) flag. The CSA is the 6th.
As a Texan, who has the Six Flags displayed in his home office, the order is:

1) Spanish Colonial
2) French Colonial
3) Mexico, (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)
4) Texas Republic,
5) USA (first time)
6) CSA
7) USA (2nd time)

--Carlos V.

· Registered
1,908 Posts

5981 - 6000 of 6057 Posts