TiVo Community Forum banner
5841 - 5860 of 6053 Posts

· I've got Jewbs!
2,393 Posts
OMG! Did 2nd place really not wager enough in FJ to be ahead of Cris???
It turned out to be a moot point, but come on!
Wasn't there a post about there being Jeopardy! staff available to help with math?
AAAAAIUUGGHHH!!!

· I'm back!
36,132 Posts
OMG! Did 2nd place really not wager enough in FJ to be ahead of Cris???
It turned out to be a moot point, but come on!
Wasn't there a post about there being Jeopardy! staff available to help with math?
AAAAAIUUGGHHH!!!
He only wins if Cris is wrong, because Cris will wager to cover 2nd going all in and getting the answer.
So he can make an intelligent guess as to Cris's wager and cover what Cris would end up at if his answer is wrong.
I haven't checked the math on whether his wager meets this criterion.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
Going into Final: Rob had $14,200 and Cris had $27,600.

If Rob bets everything and is correct, he'll have $28,400. That means Cris needs to bet at least $801 to cover a Rob double-up with a correct response.

If Cris makes the minimum cover bet and is wrong, he'll end up with $26,799. That means Rob should bet enough to give himself $26,800 with a correct answer, or $12,600. This is the bet he made.

As long as Jeri doesn't over-bet in third place, there's nothing Rob could do to guarantee himself second, so he could have bet everything knowing he'd finish in third, no matter what, if he was wrong, and to maximize his winnings if he was right and Cris was wrong.

Likewise, Cris can safely bet more than the minimum (which he did) and still know he'll win if both he and Rob are wrong, assuming Rob makes the mathematically correct bet. He just needs to make sure he doesn't bet so much that he could finish behind Jeri if she doubles up.

· I've got Jewbs!
2,393 Posts
I understand that, but what if Cris didn't think that Rob would be smart enough to do that and bet $0? I would be pretty upset with myself if I got it right and didn't bet enough to be ahead of Cris. I do get the math, I just think that I would assume the risk and bet enough to be ahead of Cris by at least $1 if I got FJ correct.
YMMV

· Registered
2,695 Posts
Recorded Friday's episode because we went out to dinner. Watching this morning, and there was a Skip during the Final Jeopardy think music. Had to rewind and pause to even be able to read the clue, much less think about an answer. First time I can recall that happening.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,405 Posts
The ToC gave Jeopardy! its highest ratings since Amy's 40 game winning streak.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/zb756c
Ken is just a natural at host. He made the ToC. Can you imagine if Mayim had hosted it? I wonder what the ratings will do when she returns?

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,405 Posts
WED FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAGS OF OUR HEMISPHERE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The stars on this country’s flag represent states, 26 of them; unlike the USA’s, its "federal district" gets its own 27th star

Correct response: Brazil

It was an easy FJ (IMHO, although only polling 56% get rate), but it's started a discussion: What did "our hemisphere" make you think? The phrase "our hemisphere" always makes me think "Western", even though we're also in the "Northern". But I don't associate Northern with "our".

Turns out in the JBoard poll on Northern or Western, it's running about 50-50. Note that the answer is in both, so it works either way.

· I've got Jewbs!
2,393 Posts
I forget when it was (Thursday night, maybe?) that Cris blanked on a Daily Double where the response was "What is Greek to me?" I was shocked-I know there are nerves, etc., but I thought that was a huge "gimme."

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,047 Posts
WED FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAGS OF OUR HEMISPHERE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The stars on this country’s flag represent states, 26 of them; unlike the USA’s, its "federal district" gets its own 27th star

Correct response: Brazil

It was an easy FJ (IMHO, although only polling 56% get rate), but it's started a discussion: What did "our hemisphere" make you think? The phrase "our hemisphere" always makes me think "Western", even though we're also in the "Northern". But I don't associate Northern with "our".

Turns out in the JBoard poll on Northern or Western, it's running about 50-50. Note that the answer is in both, so it works either way.
Northern hemisphere would never have occurred to me. And none of the competitors seemed confused by it, as they all guessed flags from Central or South America.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,405 Posts
This comment from the JBoard on Ben's FJ wagering says it best...

That was gentlemanly of Ben to allow Steph the chance to turn her 600 into $2000.

Ridiculous wager. I could see maybe a one-day champ, you might, maybe, wager like Ben did, hoping for a math miscalculation. But a 20+ day champ? Nah, just settle for the $2K.

· Registered
2,386 Posts
I didn't much care for Matt Amodio - he was just too dull a player to really get excited about - about as personable as a wet noodle. At least Cris had personality and he didn't just start at the bottom and go across.

At the very worst, the games with Cris in them got boring not because of Cris, but because he'd get all the daily doubles and such and thus there was no more excitement in the game - he'd win this game and that's that.

I'd put Matt at the "boring" end of the spectrum because the games he played were boring in so many ways (from play style, bidding and everything else) they weren't worth watching. Cris at least was exciting and then the games got boring because he'd run away and that was that.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
I didn't much care for Matt Amodio - he was just too dull a player to really get excited about - about as personable as a wet noodle. At least Cris had personality and he didn't just start at the bottom and go across.

At the very worst, the games with Cris in them got boring not because of Cris, but because he'd get all the daily doubles and such and thus there was no more excitement in the game - he'd win this game and that's that.

I'd put Matt at the "boring" end of the spectrum because the games he played were boring in so many ways (from play style, bidding and everything else) they weren't worth watching. Cris at least was exciting and then the games got boring because he'd run away and that was that.
I didn't like either I found both dull....but to be fair I'm usually rooting against the champ after they get a few wins; however last year I was all in for Amy, Ryan and Mattea and I'd love to see some more Sam Buttrey.

5841 - 5860 of 6053 Posts