TiVo Community Forum banner
5601 - 5620 of 6053 Posts

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,402 Posts
I've been wondering the last couple nights what the story is with the "uniform" James is wearing. He's introduced as a naval aviator, and he's got a bunch of chest salad, but no insignia, rank, or other identifying stuff hanging off that blazer.

No-so-humble-brag? I would feel pretty silly walking around in that.
From James...

I'm wearing the Navy Officer Service Dress Blues or SDBs. The epaulets for the SDB are actually on the white collared shirt worn under the jacket.

· Registered
2,386 Posts
I suppose that makes sense now - it's not often you see someone in full dress with the jacket, especially inside. And probably one of the exceptions to the "bring enough clothes" rule (if you're appearing on Jeopardy the next day, you have 15 minutes to change between episode tapings)

Now, they do say the Jeopardy set - err, Alex Trebek Stage - is actually quite chilly so he might actually be the most comfortable one there.

Though I'm not sure what happened in part 2 of the finals.
He certainly looked off his game compared to previous appearances.

· Random Nobody
7,488 Posts
but no insignia, rank, or other identifying stuff hanging off that blazer.
The rank insignia on Naval Dress blue jackets is on the end of the sleeves. He had 2 full-width stripes, indicating he's a full Lieutenant (O-3), with a star indicating he's an officer of the line.

And yes, he kept buzzing in for things he didn't know the answer on to try to clinch, but he was stretching too far, and fell off his mental game as soon as he got a couple wrong.

--Carlos V.

· Mostly lurking
1,883 Posts
Did I do my math incorrectly or did Jessica? It appeared to me that she had the tournament locked, but bet so much that if Molly got the question right, Molly would have won. However, since Molly got it wrong, even with Jessica's rather large bet, she still won. Unfortunately, I deleted the episode so I can't go back and check.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
After day 1:
  1. James: $30,929
  2. Jessica: $28,600
  3. Molly: $15,600

Day 2, after Double Jeopardy:
  1. Jessica: $15,300
  2. Molly: $10,600
  3. James: $2,000

If James bet everything and was correct, his maximum total was $34,929.
If Molly bet everything and was correct, her maximum total was $36,800.

Jessica should have bet enough to leave her with $36,801 total to guarantee the win. With her first day total already locked in, she should have bet so that she'd be left with at least $8,201 if she was wrong in FJ. She should have bet a maximum of $7,099 to guarantee the win. Instead, she bet $10,000, which opened the door for Molly to win with a correct response in Final.

· My One Time
15,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,608 ·
You've got to give James credit for going for a true daily double. I didn't think that was the smart move given the totals from the previous day and his current score. Of course we don't know what was going through his mind. He could have felt very confident in the category and of course you only have a few seconds to do the mental math to figure out what the smartest bet should be.

I haven't done the math. It might not have made difference with Jessica answering Final Jeopardy correctly.

· Registered
4,296 Posts

· Well-Known Mumbler
Rooting for the antihero
11,739 Posts

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,043 Posts
Last night's episode was pretty amazing.
Yes, the Celebrity Jeopardy! episode last night was great. Loved all the true DDs really ramping things up. Too bad the FJ question was such a gimme. Would have liked to have seen how the betting strategy would have played out if one or more of them had missed FJ.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,402 Posts
New format for the finals. Not a 2-game accumulation, but a "first to win 3".
I vaguely recall this from another tourney, maybe the Big Three Showdown? I like it, much more than accumulated totals championships. One bad game, or one fortunate DD, or a bad category or two, and the entire championship is lost. This way, we really get to see who's the best overall.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
New format for the finals. Not a 2-game accumulation, but a "first to win 3".

--Carlos V.
They did first to win 3 in the GOAT tournament back in 2020.
from wiki: Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time
Format
The tournament began on January 7, 2020, and each match consisted of two games. Each game was played as normal with the Jeopardy! and Double Jeopardy! rounds followed by Final Jeopardy!. Scores were in points instead of dollars. The contestant with the highest combined score from the two games would win the match, and the first one to three match wins won the tournament.[5]

5601 - 5620 of 6053 Posts